« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Supermarket Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
fuel quality

Superspark is dead right with his comments. Years ago, supermarkets were guilty of selling rather raw petrol and diesel, it would burn but was very dirty. The OEM's had a meeting with the supermarket people, some time in the 80's. I can't remember exactly. Anyway, the supermarkets agreed to supply fuels to an acceptable standard, to stop the OEM's putting a note in car handbooks that supermarket own brand fuel was not recommended.
I was involved in fuel and oil additive development then, as a tester, not a formulator.
And so it came to pass, that supermarket fuel became much better, and you can use it safely.
There was still no additive package as good as that used by Shell though, and now I have retired from that work, I have no reason to doubt that it has changed.

Post #93816 1st Mar 2011 9:02 pm
ad210358

England 

Dave wrote:
ad210358 wrote:
where as yesterday at Todhills £1.31.9 but BP on the south side £1.36.9 how can two garages opposite vary so much Question

Hmmmm, they were £132.9 on sunday when I stopped to fill up Evil or Very Mad

They're also different prices coz southbound is BP, and northbound is Shell Confused

I bet you were gutted over that Whistle
What carriageway has nothing to do with, if BP were northbound and Shell southbound the BP would be more expensive, BP is consistantly the most expensive of all the branded fuel Evil or Very Mad p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #93835 1st Mar 2011 10:47 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I suspect it's down to the additives. Supermarkets will sell to the minimum standard, and better additives will increase the cetane raqte of diesel and therefore the mpg. By the time you've got all your loyalty points the supermarkets are much cheaper, but if you want the quality you have to add your own additives - Millers, or the famous 2-stroke oil. Oddly enough my current tank is giving me almost my best ever consumption - 41.7mpg after 450 miles according to the computer, and that's Morrisons at Morpeth with a shot of Morrisons own 2-stroke.
Btw regarding an earlier post, higher octane petrol is less flammable. That's why it doesn't knock.

Post #93837 1st Mar 2011 11:11 pm
dunroof

Considering some people run their cars on old chip shop oil, I think supermarket diesel is the least of the problems!

Post #93841 1st Mar 2011 11:17 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

But the people who run on chip oil don't normally check the mpg. And although it's fine ina TDi please don't put it neat in your FL2 - it won't like it. Biodiesel properly made from old chip oil has a higher cetane rating, so will give you better mpg. And probably won't f*** up your engine. Probably.

Post #93844 1st Mar 2011 11:21 pm
dunroof

Fair enough, but with all the mayhem and disasters in this world, I aint gonna be loosing a lot of sleep over Supermarket v. branded diesel.

Post #93846 1st Mar 2011 11:25 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

As with all oil based fuels there are harmful depoites that will build up in your engine from the moving parts of the fuel pump to the high presure injectors. The only safe way to help keep moving parts of pumps and fine spray injectors is to add your own additive.
This will help to keep parts in tip top condition. These additives work by desolving the deposites that build up, A cleaner if you like. Where injectors are concerned, the tolerances are very precise and it want take much to upset the balance causing miss fire in extreme cases and more expence for you in the long run as you will get less miles per tank. Boats have the same problems when fuel is stored in the inboard tanks for 12 month or more so there are additives to stop the fuel from braking down and gumming things up. Thumbs Up

Post #93938 2nd Mar 2011 6:26 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry Past Master thanks for bringing that to my attention...I got completely confused when I was writing it! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #93987 3rd Mar 2011 12:33 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

You're welcome. And I wasn't trying to score a point - a lot of people genuinely don't understand that one (burns slower, goes faster wtf?). Wink

Post #94068 3rd Mar 2011 9:38 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

Unless things have changed in recent years, I can tell you how it is. (Or at least was Whistle )

All the fuel originates from a chain: refinery -> tank farm -> tanker -> fuel tank. At the tank farm tankers from supermarkets lift oil from the same tanks that Shell, BP etc do. No difference.

IMO anyone who buys from Shell or BP or whomever rather than cheaper supermarket stuff (sometimes it isn't cheaper!) is just wasting money. Sheep Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #94070 3rd Mar 2011 9:50 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Talking to one of the major fuel supply tanker drivers when he was delivering I asked about the difference between fuels for supermarkets and Shell, Esso, BP

"you are given a bucket with some additive to pour into tank before filling and it depends on which brand as to what you get"

This was 10 -12 years ago. possible more scientific by now. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #94072 3rd Mar 2011 10:01 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I seem to get the best value out of 'cherry' Wink freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #94073 3rd Mar 2011 10:20 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

s7gpt wrote:
I seem to get the best value out of 'cherry' Wink

its 65p/l plus vat Neutral At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #94074 3rd Mar 2011 10:27 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

I have been told (an inside source) that supermarket fuel pumps are calibrated to very very minimun allowed.
Trading standards check pumps regularly and there is a tolerance within which you must fall. This may also be the reason for lower comsumption figures.
You are NOT short measured just receiving the neatest ammount allowable. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #94110 4th Mar 2011 1:03 pm
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

From Leics Trading Standards site "By law the pumps are required to meet stringent requirements for accuracy to ensure that any errors in the amount of fuel dispensed are within certain tolerances. This means that a petrol pump can deliver up to 10ml extra per litre of fuel and is only allowed to deliver 5ml less per litre of fuel - and bear in mind that a teaspoon is approximately 5ml."

That's +1% and -0.5 % allowed..... which should mean MPG calcs have the same tolerance.

Trading Standards regularly check the pumps all over the country.

Post #94137 4th Mar 2011 4:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>