Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Could the FL2 floorpan spawn more models?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green
Could the FL2 floorpan spawn more models?

Been looking at...sharp intake of breath....other ranges of 4x4 cars...just struck me that are LR missing a trick by perhaps shortening the FL2 flooplan and coming up with 2wd/4wd competitor to the likes of the Yeti (which is selling like hot cakes and very 4x4 capable).

The mix of 2wd and 4wd could help with the overall CO2 figures for the brand...it could maybe also be a rejuvination of the Rover brand (with Land Rover technology) on small SUV and perhaps volvo esque estate cars with AWD

Just a thought that as the FL2 is soooo good it should be shared more!

Post #93079 23rd Feb 2011 9:47 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Perhaps they could do an Aston Martin and create a city car. I can just imagine a tiny box shaped LR with slightly increased ride height and 2WD with 4WD when needed Rolling with laughter LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #93084 23rd Feb 2011 10:00 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I think realistically the Yeti would be snookered if you threw anything more than wet grass or 6 inches of snow at it.

Also LR is cited in the market as a premium brand so in the near future the Evoque will probably be the smallest thing going. Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #93110 23rd Feb 2011 11:02 pm
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Not wishing to big up the oposition but I have looked at the Skoda Yeti on youtube and it appears to be more than capable of tackling more that wet grass.

Post #93169 24th Feb 2011 6:02 pm
richardk

1STFREELANDER wrote:
Not wishing to big up the oposition but I have looked at the Skoda Yeti on youtube and it appears to be more than capable of tackling more that wet grass.

Yes by all accounts I believe you are right with the Yeti 4x4 capability..even has hill descent control and a kind of terrain response (ok one setting)..but it looks like a gap in LR's armoury. Oh and th 6 month waiting list apparently

As I mentioned the Land Rover name wouldn't maybe have to adorn a smaller car...but the Rover name could (It's owned by JLR) and would complement LR brand

Post #93173 24th Feb 2011 6:42 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

I was a scrutineer at the Rally Scotland 2010 (a round of IRC) and drove through some of the stages with my FL2. Skoda were the main sponsors and all official course cars were Yeti, the later stages having been run twice were quite demanding. There were no complaints from any officials using them, remember they had never even driven one before that weekend.
The Skoda works team obviously had Yeti for recce cars.
Some officials who did not require to go into stages were given the new Fabia VRS 1.4 flying machine.
A Skoda won the championship All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #93179 24th Feb 2011 7:13 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Skoda Fabia VRS DSG is alot of car for the money Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #93181 24th Feb 2011 7:18 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 
Re: Could the FL2 floorpan spawn more models?

richardk wrote:
Been looking at...sharp intake of breath....other ranges of 4x4 cars...just struck me that are LR missing a trick by perhaps shortening the FL2 flooplan and coming up with 2wd/4wd competitor to the likes of the Yeti (which is selling like hot cakes and very 4x4 capable).

The mix of 2wd and 4wd could help with the overall CO2 figures for the brand...it could maybe also be a rejuvination of the Rover brand (with Land Rover technology) on small SUV and perhaps volvo esque estate cars with AWD

Just a thought that as the FL2 is soooo good it should be shared more!

it is shared quite a lot:
Volvo XC
Volvo V70
Ford Mondeo
Ford Galaxy
Ford S-Max
Ford Mondeo

The above kind of gives the hint that it's a Ford platform so JLR *could* (if they wanted to pay for it) adapt the Ford platform for another model but would think smaller (e.g. Yeti-a-like) is too small for the platform.

Post #93224 24th Feb 2011 11:00 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Well researched Natwest Thumbs Up

The only way i can see L/R going even smaller is by using something like Focus/Kuga size floorpan.
I hope not; i think the brand would begin to lose what it stands for.
And would Ford want a L/R product to compete with the Kuga? Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #93230 24th Feb 2011 11:30 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

richardk wrote:
1STFREELANDER wrote:

Yes by all accounts I believe you are right with the Yeti 4x4 capability..even has hill descent control and a kind of terrain response (ok one setting)..but it looks like a gap in LR's armoury. Oh and th 6 month waiting list apparently

As I mentioned the Land Rover name wouldn't maybe have to adorn a smaller car...but the Rover name could (It's owned by JLR) and would complement LR brand

The Rover name is not owned by JLR, it never has been. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #93294 25th Feb 2011 8:08 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

From what I learned this week, Evogue is sized against BMW X1, Kuga etc. I saw the 5dr Evoque this week and it is wider than FL2 but quite a bit lower on the roof line. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #93295 25th Feb 2011 8:10 pm
richardk

Mav71 wrote:
richardk wrote:
1STFREELANDER wrote:

The Rover name is not owned by JLR, it never has been.

Oh yes it is! They secured the name from Ford when they bought JLR. Ford secured the Rover name when MG Rover went into administration (MGR had the name on licence from BMW on the basis that they couldn't make 4wd Rovers) so as to secure the Land Rover brand (LR are often referred to as Rover's in USA)

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/domestic?domesticnum=2021118

Post #93298 25th Feb 2011 8:30 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

richardk wrote:
Mav71 wrote:
richardk wrote:
1STFREELANDER wrote:

The Rover name is not owned by JLR, it never has been.

Oh yes it is! They secured the name from Ford when they bought JLR. Ford secured the Rover name when MG Rover went into administration (MGR had the name on licence from BMW on the basis that they couldn't make 4wd Rovers) so as to secure the Land Rover brand (LR are often referred to as Rover's in USA)

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/domestic?domesticnum=2021118

Won't even mention "Roewe" because it'll then get really confusing! Laughing

Post #93309 25th Feb 2011 9:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1