« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What Car Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
What Car Review

What Car have just tested the FL2 (SD4 XS) against the BMW X3, Audi Q5 and Volvo XC 60. The FL2 came last
(although they didn,t test it off road). I am not surprised as all of the others and more recent designs, or have been updated. It's almost as though LR have decided not to spend any money keeping the FL2 up with the competition. It should after 5yrs have been given a more Disco 4 type interior and better seats. The FL2 has been given a more competative engine but the rest of the vehcile hasn,t been touched for 5 years (except for the revised dials. Most of the other cars get facelifts every two or three years to keep them fresh.

In the same mag What Car have just bought a top of the line Range Rover, they needed LR assist after two weeks because of a flat battery (electrical problem.)

Also in the mag was a VW Golf owner with an engine misfire (new car given- eventually) and their fleet Mercedes E clas that required new injectors., so its not just Land Rovers.

Post #90960 5th Feb 2011 6:52 pm
dunroof

Dont think they have changed the Defender much either, the cads! Seriously, no matter what they faclift it with, does it really matter? The D3/4 is the same car basically, just more expensive, so is the 2006 to the 2011 Freelander.

Post #90963 5th Feb 2011 6:59 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

If I swapped my FL2 now for any of those, I might initially like the lovely build quality but the moment I parked next to an FL2 I would feel inferior in its presence.

The FL2 doesn't just defeat them easily off road, it's gonna be superior in snow and floods and has better status. BMW, Audi and Volvo might have good badges in the right markets but in 4x4 world, Land Rover are the gods.

Bow before your master, inferior beings Laughing LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #90980 5th Feb 2011 7:49 pm
1STFREELANDER

I Agree the FL2 looks good and is a proper 4x4, unbeatable in snow/mud/water etc, but there is no reason why it can't be competative in other areas as well, 5yrs is a long time in car terms for a design to remain the same,
in fact most manufacturers bring out new models every thre to four years. I suppose I am disapointed the recent facelift amounted to a updated engine and fog light surrounds when it could have gone much further and answered the same problems most people complain about. I don't want the last british volume manufacturer to rely on its heritige to sell its cars. The competition is getting better, it's evolve or die.

Post #90989 5th Feb 2011 8:25 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Most cars are built to last about 6 years with a midlife facelift after about 3 years. So LR were a year or so late with the facelift but to be fair there wasnt too much to change because it was already a good car. I love the new front and think it brings the FL2 more into line with the rest of the range than ever before. My biggest problem was with the lacklustre interior makeover. My boss had a new Range Rover Sport last year and the redesigned dash was a massive improvement. Even the disco facelift featured an improved dash. So what do us FL2 owners get? a redesigned speedo and rev counter design!

LR missed a trick here, a better dash (not much redesign just better buttons etc, maybe an LED info display, EXTRA STORAGE!!!!! thats all what was really needed to put this brilliant car one foot in front of the rest. Personally I think they have spent too much time (and probably money) sorting out the Evoque. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #90998 5th Feb 2011 9:10 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Sales of the FL2 are up over 25% so they must be doing something right. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #91040 6th Feb 2011 8:58 am
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Car mags without exception will always praise German cars.

These cars are ' tested ' but not in the real world, and for relativly short time periods. You need to live with a car, go shopping , holiday , mountain biking , work in the rush hour to appreciate its true qualities.

Until the last three weeks I have only owned BMW and Mercedes ( Istill have a Merc )

The last three series touring was a great car BUT it had shortcomings and the build quality was no better than the FL2. Sur as a drivers car it is faster , handles better and is an excellent drive, but it was not particularly economical and very expensive to service if you used the stealers.

It is easy to believe what you read but do remember the hidden agenda's, magazines need adverts for example and loan cars for staff etc.

Do not belive all you read !!

Post #91054 6th Feb 2011 11:27 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'll bet the FL was the cheapest on test...by a long way! Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #91073 6th Feb 2011 1:55 pm
hutchingsp

As with anything it depends what you want from a car.

Not sure about the Volvo as I didn't look at one in depth, but the Q5 and the X3 seemed distinctly made for the school run rather than being made to use off-road.

Now obviously that has no bearing on the interior features. As someone who's just ordered a FL2 I liked the FL2's interior (and I say that coming from a Boxster so I'm more than used to the German interior thing).

Where I do think the German's (and Japanese) have Land Rover totally beaten, at least on the Freelander 2, is instrumentation.

My Boxster has a decent on board computer, so does a basic Honda Civic or pretty much any VAG you look at. The FL2 has, in comparison, a pretty crappy set of analogue dials and, well, not much else.

The sat nav screen is a waste IMO as it could be used for so much more.

All of that said, does it concern me too much? No not really. I've learned over the years that there are toys and features that wow you in the showroom, and there are the things that you use when you're driving the thing.

As for reliability, I have that to experience so I don't want to speak too soon, but everyone I spoke to told me that of the vehicles that Land Rover make, those which come out of Halewood tend to have the least issues. I've had several dealers independently tell me that most of the problems they see with Range Rover/Discovery aren't "big" things like engines blowing up, rather they are things that they class as sloppy build/attention to detail.

Post #91075 6th Feb 2011 1:59 pm
1STFREELANDER

I suppose I am disapointed LR did not facelift the interior, and given the FL2 has a much greater price range than the others (by about £10,0000) is why they didn,t feel the need. Perhaps thats the problem the FL2 might be competative at £21,000 but at £35,000 you expect a bit more. the frustating thing for me is that jaguar/LR have the technology, it's used in other their other cars. VW have just updated the Tiguan, better looks and interior and an updated Infotainment system. As others have said, perhaps they spent all the money on the Evoque.

Post #91201 7th Feb 2011 1:20 pm
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

I think that whatever you have in a car there are always some with something more/ different but is it really required?

My previous BMW 3 series had more extras than you can imagine , nearly 9K worth. sunroof , swivelly lights, keyless entry comfort closing etc, etc BUT they all cost a lot of dosh.

You must ask yourself what do I need ( not want ) and what do I use . The FL2 has an OK satnav ann excellent audio system ( on the HSE ) electric seats , heated seats all inclded in a basic ( maybe high to somer ) price.

Try putting all the HSE spec on a BMW and Merc and maybe you will be surprised.

With regard to face lifts , I believe that this is just a way to get you to change your car but very often it adds nothing to covenience, comfort, economy etc just more for you to lose in depreciation.

Perhaps common sense says buy at a year to 18 months old and keep for three years or so, still a modern car, probably lowish mileage and minimum depreciation.

But who wants to be sensible Smile

Post #91214 7th Feb 2011 2:49 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

Reeventu wrote:

The last three series touring was a great car BUT it had shortcomings and the build quality was no better than the FL2. Sur as a drivers car it is faster , handles better and is an excellent drive, but it was not particularly economical and very expensive to service if you used the stealers.

Do not belive all you read !!

... not to mention the ride, which is only suitable for good roads.

I'm about to get rid of my 3 series in favour of a FL2 on order and suffice to say I haven't been impressed by the BMWs reliability, ride, steering etc. And while the instrumentation is better than the FL2 I think the switchgear and other interior fitments are on a par. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #91225 7th Feb 2011 5:18 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Brian - i too came from a 3 series (quite a few of us FL2 drivers have!) which i had to spend 7K to spec up to what i wanted and still left things like privacy glass / sunroof off the list! First week of ownership and had a flat battery - took a week for dealer to sort (ended up having an argument with them), had 2 sensor faults which took it off the road for another 2 weeks! My FL2 has been far from perfect, first 10 months of ownership was a nightmare due to a constant knocking noise that no-one could fix. Once fixed the FL2 has been perfect in everyway! Yes i would have like to have seen a more radical facelift but it hasnt stopped me buying another! Thumbs Up

Enjoy the FL2! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #91275 7th Feb 2011 9:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Called in at BMW when I was passing, sat in a X3SE

Censored awful, didn't have anywhere near as much appeal to me as the FL2, also laughed a X1 Laughing

Sat in the world lowest car as well a BMW 3 Series convertible Shocked well it felt very low compared to the FL2, I had one of those moments when you think the chairs been pulled away as my arse kept getting lower and lower before it touch leather, then it felt like my head was above the windscreen Shocked not a car for someone who's 6'3" Sad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #91278 7th Feb 2011 10:06 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Pinky,
You want to try our MX5! I'm six two and not young. Pain to get in and out but what a great little car to drive. Best fun car you can buy. 14 years old and just passed MOT. (The car, not me).

I did have a BM 535 for a short while. Hated the b Censored y thing, cost a fortune to keep it going. More visits to the dealer to mention.

My FL2? Love it!! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #91312 8th Feb 2011 1:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>