Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Service Action Q106 - Diesel Auto Transmission Slip/Flare
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
psyxologos

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I just had mine done today. Noticeable difference, although the car has only done ~100 miles after the update.

Post #86648 6th Jan 2011 12:55 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Is this just for the diesel auto's or does this also apply to petrol version as well?

Post #86654 6th Jan 2011 3:57 am
alex_pescaru

Only diesels...

Post #86659 6th Jan 2011 8:26 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

2 threads merged Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #86660 6th Jan 2011 8:47 am
Daveevans87

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Purchased an 08 XS from Ottons in Salisbury 2 months ago.

Having read this thread and being anxious about the performance of my gearbox I contacted them today to ask if the software update was needed/completed.

I was informed that the update is required and when I suggested that it would have been helpful if it had been picked up in the pre-delivery check was told 'it was only issued in the last month' this was maintained even when I quoted the distribution date from the LR Service Action!

Have now got it booked into my local dealer (TH White Swindon) for the update. I was told it will take 1/2 hour.

Will report back on what difference it makes.

On a slightly different issue this just shows the value of forums like this. Without the detailed knowledge shared by some members (Alex thank you) I would still be in the dark regarding this issue.

Dave

Post #86817 7th Jan 2011 10:20 am
attox

Italy 

alex_pescaru wrote:
I've finally done today the Q106.
The behaviour is about 80-90% the same, as I've suspected from your descriptions and my box's previous firmware "acting".
Still I've noticed that when driving hard, it seems to change a little later than before, at higher revolutions. Which, in a way, is better, because after change the RPM drop in the 2000-2500 RPM range where the torque is optimal.
Also, following a hard push on the throttle (not kick down) from a light drive, will change the gears more intelligently, without hesitation and/or guessing and uses a lot more than before the lock-up clutch of the torque converter.
All in all, is a step towards the better.

PS: I've noticed that the firmware that was programmed on my car is already at version 2. Q106v2, from December 6.
Why is that, I don't know yet, but I hope that LR is not making experiments on us, correcting things on the move. Although, this is the way it's happening, generally speaking, on all auto manufacturers. Confused

Hi Alex!

When you say that "...uses a lot more than before the lock-up clutch of the torque converter" is because you hear the moment when it is engaged? I ask you that because sometimes I hear like a very short slipping in between the changes, when driving very lightly, and I was thinking it was related to the electronic management of the torque converter (TCM?) "deciding" whether to engage the upper gear or not.

I have not yet updated to Q106.

Thanks a lot for your always precious advises.

Attilio

Post #86924 7th Jan 2011 8:20 pm
alex_pescaru

You'll experience that slip after the update too.
It's like the box is loosing the "grip" a little, the car tends to loose its pull, like a small hesitancy, and then engages the upper gear with a very light impulse forward, just like when you lift the foot of the clutch to quickly on a manual car, right?
This is relatively normal for an (diesel) engine with such torque. I believe that they didn't fine tune the box so much for all RPM ranges, all gear changes and all engine loads. Sometimes you'll feel it, sometimes you wont.
It's quite difficult to take into consideration all situations and program the box that in the same moment one gear clutch is disengaging the other one to engage.
In a way I am glad it is this way because I know for sure that the previous gear was almost fully disengaged when the new one is taking over. You know it's pretty bad from reliability point of view that two clutches to overlap.

What I mean that they use a little more the lock-up clutch you'll see when you drive a little hard.
You will see that after an upper gear change, the RPM will drop a little and after a few moments the RPM is dropping furthermore. First drop is after the gears have changed, but the torque converter is still slipping and the second RPM drop is when the lock-up clutch engages and you'll feel the pull stronger like on a manual car. You will feel it more evidently on a second to third gear change.
Before the update this double RPM drop wasn't so noticeable, and therefore I believe this was the moment when the slip/flare happened. Although I never experienced something like that.

Post #86938 7th Jan 2011 8:51 pm
attox

Italy 

alex_pescaru wrote:
It's like the box is loosing the "grip" a little, the car tends to loose its pull, like a small hesitancy, and then engages the upper gear with a very light impulse forward, just like when you lift the foot of the clutch to quickly on a manual car, right?

Yes it is exactly like that together with the light noise of the slipping clutch.

Quote:

This is relatively normal for an (diesel) engine with such torque. I believe that they didn't fine tune the box so much for all RPM ranges, all gear changes and all engine loads. Sometimes you'll feel it, sometimes you wont.
It's quite difficult to take into consideration all situations and program the box that in the same moment one gear clutch is disengaging the other one to engage.
In a way I am glad it is this way because I know for sure that the previous gear was almost fully disengaged when the new one is taking over. You know it's pretty bad from reliability point of view that two clutches to overlap.

What I mean that they use a little more the lock-up clutch you'll see when you drive a little hard.
You will see that after an upper gear change, the RPM will drop a little and after a few moments the RPM is dropping furthermore. First drop is after the gears have changed, but the torque converter is still slipping and the second RPM drop is when the lock-up clutch engages and you'll feel the pull stronger like on a manual car. You will feel it more evidently on a second to third gear change.
Before the update this double RPM drop wasn't so noticeable, and therefore I believe this was the moment when the slip/flare happened. Although I never experienced something like that.

I will soon proceede with the update.
Thanks again.

Last edited by attox on 7th Jan 2011 11:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #86967 7th Jan 2011 11:03 pm
attox

Italy 

alex_pescaru wrote:

Yes it is exactly like that together with the light noise of the slipping clutch.

Quote:

I will soon proceede with the update.
Thanks again.

Post #86968 7th Jan 2011 11:04 pm
alex_pescaru

attox wrote:

That noise you are hearing, mostly on changes from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 it isn't a slipping clutch...
It's a characteristic noise of the car, a resonance sound made by a bearing inside the transfer case.
I was curious about that noise too, thinking that it comes from the auto box, but after I've put the car on an elevator and run it on gear(s), I've realized that it is from the transfer case.

Post #86970 7th Jan 2011 11:21 pm
attox

Italy 

alex_pescaru wrote:
attox wrote:

That noise you are hearing, mostly on changes from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 it isn't a slipping clutch...
It's a characteristic noise of the car, a resonance sound made by a bearing inside the transfer case.
I was curious about that noise too, thinking that it comes from the auto box, but after I've put the car on an elevator and run it on gear(s), I've realized that it is from the transfer case.

Thanks Alex!
It's unbelievable how certain noises could be misinterpreted!

Post #87017 8th Jan 2011 12:33 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Just had mine done and there is definitly a noticible difference for the better Thumbs Up

Shame its turned of global door locking thingy whichI'm now going to have to work out how to turn back on Rolling Eyes Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #92270 17th Feb 2011 10:51 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

unlock car then press lock button and hold it down for 15 seconds or so,
do this for each key fob and your global locking will be re-engaged. Thumbs Up

Post #92277 17th Feb 2011 11:54 am
Captain Worm

Nice one Thumbs Up save's me thumbing through the manual! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #92278 17th Feb 2011 12:17 pm
Captain Worm

Just tried it! - once open you have to press lock and unlock button for 3 seconds... the indicators will blink and then global opening will be active for that key Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #92288 17th Feb 2011 12:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>