Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Trading in a car with private plate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The dealer should be able to get your plates swapped over in 7-14 days , so you simply drive your trade in to the garage then drive out the new car with numberplate ready attached. it costs £80. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #85502 26th Dec 2010 3:36 pm
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

surley a deposit would secure and go on the dvla site download application to transfer details of your car an fill in the new car details send to the local dvla office 2 weeks to change job done or byou ca do the transfer there and then if ypou have all the paperwork to your office and they will transfer it that day Thumbs Up

Post #85504 26th Dec 2010 3:56 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Retention is the LONG way round. A reputable dealer will guide you through the transfer, you will leave personal plate on your x-trail and drive FL2 with its existing no. The dealer will do the necessary paperwork which guaranrtees your title to private plate and in about 2 weeks you will receive documents from DVLA which will let you fit private no to your FL2, including replacement tax disc. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #85506 26th Dec 2010 5:44 pm
MVS

As the process of cherished plate transfer has become soooo slow (as you can take it in person to a DVLA local office but they WON'T process it there and then they just put it in a pile, unlike a few short years ago Big Cry ) most dealers will suggest that you apply to to put the plate on a retention document PRIOR to them taking possession of it as a P/ex, then provide you with a second set of plates (& ones for your current car if needed) with your cherished number when YOU transfer it back to your new vehicle.

Just make sure you get the plate cost thrown into the deal, Again remember you will need the V5 or Entitlement paperwork & Driving license to get them made now.

I would also suggest that you do your own paperwork WRT to the transfer to make sure all the spelling, any Nominee you may want on it etc is filled in correctly. You have to pay the £80 transfer fee up front anyway, & as I remember its again easier to do your own Chq as most dealers ask you to do one for them anyway. Rolling Eyes
HTH

P.S. If you know already you are going to change car apply to get it on retention now.

Also doing it this way CAN make insurance for the change over easier if the dealer doesn't offer a free 7 day policy, and your Certificate states Make&Model as well as Reg and your details.

Just my 2p

Post #85507 26th Dec 2010 5:51 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I must admit that when I bought my fl2 I took the plates of my px Audi onto a certificate, then gave the certificate to the dealer. To do this means fitting new plates to your px so I just ordered some cheapo ones from the net, possibly illegal ones as they did not have the dealers postcode on. cost £80 same as getting the dealer to swap them. but my fl2 was brand new , to fit plates onto a pre-registered car might cost a further £80?? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #85508 26th Dec 2010 6:04 pm
MVS

Nope no additional cost CG, it's the same process for a new or 'already' registered vehicle (£80 assignment fee for the cherished number).

It also takes no longer if you 'retain' it first, it's the same process. You will just have to get plates made yourself (if you didn't keep the ones the current p/ex car came on before the cherished number went on) which you'll end up paying the dealer for anyway, as they 'charge' or factor in £25 normally for each set (even if you don't see it on the invoice).

You can usually get them made for half that at a good car spares place locally if you need them.

Post #85510 26th Dec 2010 6:27 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

We do it all the time with our private plates. Rest assured, as CG said in his first post, the garage will take care of the transfer for you and will cost £80 (cheque made payable to DVLA).

Hope that puts your mind at rest, now go a buy the FL2 Thumbs Up ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #85512 26th Dec 2010 6:31 pm
asinrute

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Quote:
As the process of cherished plate transfer has become soooo slow (as you can take it in person to a DVLA local office but they WON'T process it there and then they just put it in a pile, unlike a few short years ago ) most dealers will suggest that you apply to to put the plate on a retention document PRIOR to them taking possession of it as a P/ex, then provide you with a second set of plates (& ones for your current car if needed) with your cherished number when YOU transfer it back to your new vehicle.

Cant agree with this, I do them at work, the last one I did was two weeks ago and within 10 days I had the retention document, the new tax disc and V5. This route however costs£105 and not £80 as mentioned elsewhere. Any decent dealer will arrange the transfer for you and take care of all the paperwork, and should only cost £80 so I can't see the point of putting it onto a retention document first. There should be no delay with your dealer in purchasing a vehicle that requires a number transfer. FL2 HSE Sumatra black with body kit

Post #85525 26th Dec 2010 8:36 pm
andw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

hi all i have done this both ways

took all documents to dvla reading and they changed my tax disk and mot there and then and said fit your plates

also i posted the documents and that took 7 days maybe just that office Thumbs Up

Post #85528 26th Dec 2010 8:59 pm
MVS

asinrute wrote:
This route however costs£105 and not £80 as mentioned elsewhere. .

Yes there is a £25 documentation fee also on top of the £80 assignment fee I stated.

As to differences in DVLA local offices, not many will process there and then, you have been lucky if they did it for you recently is all I can say.

Post #85530 26th Dec 2010 9:18 pm
MVS

Here's a link to the DVLA page with a downloadable .pdf form so you can decide yourself to go either way;

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_10015858

Post #85531 26th Dec 2010 9:53 pm
dunroof

Having had numerous cherished transfers over the years, no great problem. It depends how busy the LVLO are. Quickest 2 days, longest 2 weeks.

As soon as you hand in the paperwork, you can trade in. Most dealers will have inspected the Log Book. You promise to give them the new one with the amended number when it's sent to you and thats it.

As for the new car, if the number arrives in time, immediate transfer, if it doesn't, just the same process as before.

Post #85540 26th Dec 2010 11:54 pm
frankreid

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I had mine done through Lloyds of Carlisle, they sent my (trade in car) log book and MOT to DVLA on the Tuesday, I collected my new car with my plate on it three days later. All done.

All I needed to do was take my old tax disk to my local office (stockton-on-tees) , they sent it away and i will get back duty refunded to me in 3 to 6 weeks.

Easy all done just as it should be at a cost of £80 or £85 can't remember what it was. To be honest it was well worth it

I have said it before and will say it again, very helpful and nice people to do business with at Lloyds of Carlisle.

Frank R9 FLR

Post #85543 27th Dec 2010 1:20 am
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black
Re: Trading in a car with private plate

snaxmuppet wrote:
We have an X-Trail with a private plate and we have seen a 2 year old FL2 in a Land Rover dealership which interests us. We would like to trade in the X-Trail and transfer the plate to the FL2 but we don't know how the transfer of the plate would happen.

Would we need to first put the plate on retention before we could trade in the X-Trail? If so that would mean a 4-6 week delay before we could buy the FL2 and we might loose that one. That would be a shame as it is exactly the one we are after and would like to do the deal asap.

Anyone know what would be the best way to do this?

BEWARE some dealers tell you lies (some cannot be bothered to do the paperwork )

Yes the way we had it done (cherished plate transferred twice to a new car misses new car )
last time dealer messed it up .( got a free tank of fuel plus £50 cash in the hand just as a sorry !!)
don,t need to be nasty just stand your ground

tell dealer if they want your business (new or secondhand) we want to pick the car upon date...
drive in drive out on 7 day dealer insurance ,transfer to your insurance once only. job done !!

No more than £80 max It should be free, or cash back as well (depends if salesman has food on the table
that week .....) Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #85547 27th Dec 2010 9:35 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

andw wrote:
surley a deposit would secure and go on the dvla site download application to transfer details of your car an fill in the new car details send to the local dvla office 2 weeks to change job done or byou ca do the transfer there and then if ypou have all the paperwork to your office and they will transfer it that day Thumbs Up

The DVLA have stopped doing transfers in one day. As CG has said, it takes up to 14 days. The only thing they will do on the same day is transfer onto a car if the plate is already on retention. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #85574 27th Dec 2010 4:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1