Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Can you upgrade the mobile phone controls on an FL2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
747_JK

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Can you upgrade the mobile phone controls on an FL2?

After liking driving my D4, my Dad has just got a FL2 2010 MY - HSE spec.

The only thing which is a real let down is the controls for the mobile phone - pretty old fashioned compared to the 4 year old BMW 3 series he's come out of, and not a patch on the D4 - which allows you to scroll through numbers on the main Sat Nav screen, plus dial by voice control.

It may well be the voice control can be spec'd as an option from new, but this is a six-month old second hand car. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to "upgrade" the phone system either via LR or some aftermarket adaptions?

a) Can you have voicecontrol fitted by the dealer (so it works like on the D4)
b) Can you have the Sat Nav screen programme to also control the phone?

Any other tips / ideas to improve this? I'm guessing the 2011 MY cars have had this let-down addressed...

Thanks VERY much in advance

Post #84703 18th Dec 2010 10:17 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

On the Freelander the telephone is controlled through the audio unit. The phonebook numbers will appear in the audio window as will all other information. Try reading the handbook which has comprehensive instructions on how to make the best use of the telephone system. If you haven't got a handbook to hand then this link will take you to a version which should help.

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp

click on Freelander 2 and owner's handbook, then 2010 and scroll down to last entry.

MY11 vehciles still have the telephone controls on the audio system and voice control is possible and is explained in the manual.

Post #84707 18th Dec 2010 11:22 pm
747_JK

Thanks rchrdleigh - appreciate the phone is controlled via the audio unit and the numbers displayed there... it's just its a fairly poor / basic way to control a mobile phone compared to what we're used to from BMW I-Drive systems / the LR D4.

Will certainly investigate the voice-control and see whether the dealer can retro-fit this as an option to our vehicle.

Just wished someone out there offered a way of moving the phone control to the Sat Nav screen via some aftermarket bolt-on software etc - would be my preference by far, and you're not then "looking down" so much and risking attention being taken away from the road etc.

Thanks for your comments though.

Otherwise, the FL2 is a great great car.

Post #84708 18th Dec 2010 11:28 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

747_JK
If you have the red and green switches on the steering wheel, you should already have voice activation for your mobile phone.

Once connected via bluetooth, make sure you press the telephone button on the radio so the display shows your telephone, then hold the green button on the steering wheel toward you for around 5 seconds until you hear the acknowledgement from your phone and speak the name or service you require from your phone!

Post #84713 19th Dec 2010 12:34 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

747_JK.
I'm looking at changing my phone to ( and I agree with you )

But I think if you get the right phone it should work, I'm looking at the HTC Desire hd or the Samsung galaxy s, there both seem to work with the LR system, voice activation.
(I like the I-phone 3G or 4 both of these phone should work too, but a little to fancy for me and my work, . nice phone's I must say)
I understand the HTC wildfire dose not update the cars address book ???

If any Know's different or if the Desire hd or Galaxy s phone's are any Good please let me Now, Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #84725 19th Dec 2010 10:55 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Wing wrote:
747_JK
If you have the red and green switches on the steering wheel, you should already have voice activation for your mobile phone.

Once connected via bluetooth, make sure you press the telephone button on the radio so the display shows your telephone, then hold the green button on the steering wheel toward you for around 5 seconds until you hear the acknowledgement from your phone and speak the name or service you require from your phone!

I didnt know that - will have to try it out tomorrow Thumbs Up

Post #84752 19th Dec 2010 5:48 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

shilen wrote:
Wing wrote:
747_JK

I didnt know that - will have to try it out tomorrow Thumbs Up

Me neither - another great tip from my new favourite forum Smile

Post #84755 19th Dec 2010 6:01 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi I have just got the galaxy s smart phone and it works a real treat in thr FL2, well impressed with it. when i first got the car to search for it, it found it with no problems.
The only thing i will say is that you have to make the phone visable for a blue tooth search and that the galaxy s will stay in visable mode for 2 minutes then hide visability once again hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #84757 19th Dec 2010 6:20 pm
747_JK

Wing wrote:
747_JK

Thanks Wing. Got it to work - just need to learn what commands it will accept now...

Post #84766 19th Dec 2010 6:56 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I won't comment too much on the phone system as I have said plenty in previous posts etc but all I will say is that my overall impression of it is Rolling with laughter Censored Rubbish..............................

Just don't try & cancel out a call you make to a number that is engaged as that is a joke. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #84776 19th Dec 2010 8:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Executive Valeter wrote:
I won't comment too much on the phone system as I have said plenty in previous posts etc but all I will say is that my overall impression of it is Rolling with laughter Censored Rubbish..............................

EV when I bought my FL2 I wasn't expecting voice activation as the salesman said it didn't have it, "no mention in the manual either" so you can imagine my surprise when I discovered voice activation by accident.

I had a problem getting my contacts to upload initially, but after discovering voice activation, I didn't need a list anyway, "since managed to transfer contacts, sadly no call lists" but I can honestly say I have not had any problems with the cars bluetooth system and my humble Nokia 5800, have you tried another phone with your car?

Post #84780 19th Dec 2010 8:40 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I've used a Nokia 6650 Slide which was only part compatable with it but with that one if I tried dialing a number on the dash is corrupted the phone. A guy from Landrover sugested the 6303 which worked fine as does my 6700. I have use my wife Samsung Pixon & it is ok.
I don't have an issue with the pairing & the features though 30% of the time the car will not auto connect & you have to press the dash button, I have an issue with the general reception & sound quality. This last few days it seems to have got better but over the year I have owned it it has at best been crap! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #84783 19th Dec 2010 8:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Have Nokia 6303 on both my 07 SE and 11 XS without any problems, reception has been fine and auto connect has worked every time I remember to turn the Bluetooth on the phone on. Maybe I've just been lucky, but then again maybe not as my other Nokia and an old Motorola also worked without problems.

Post #84789 19th Dec 2010 9:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1