Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Slipping Clutch after 25000 careful miles??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

I have a vague impression that the problem lies on the self adjusting mechanism of the clutch cover.
When this is defective, or gets contamined with ferodo particles, it fails to adjust to the next notch and in this way it's like you have a thin foil clutch disk which last of course only 20-40K miles, depending on driving style.
I've put below the relevant information from service manual.

Click image to enlarge

Post #63529 14th Mar 2010 2:23 pm
themainmuncle

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Sumatra Black

Took mine in, in jan and got told they couldn't find problem but the clutch had stopped slipping before i took it in ( booked week in advance and it stops doing it , just my luck). but start of march problem came back worse and now slips quite alot in 4, 5, 6th gears by 500 / 600. revs around the 2000 rev mark booked in again for next week.
So self adjusting clutch plate thing ( not very technical myself) looks about right going off my symptoms...
coverd by warranty?????

Post #65263 31st Mar 2010 6:00 pm
alex_pescaru

Unfortunatelly, many auto manufacturers treats the clutch system like a consumable item (just like brake pads) and therefore its wear isn't covered by warranty, unless it is defective from start...
So this defective idea is quite hard to prove as long as the clutch is concerned...

Post #65264 31st Mar 2010 6:06 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, I started a new thread on the same subject - see deatils at:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic6840.html

After similar symptoms, mine is at my LR dealer now for a new clutch and, as of yesterday, held over until today because they discovered that it needed a flywheel as well. No mention of any issue or wear & tear.

They've agreed to show me the parts removed as they need to keep them for warranty anyway.

I'll post the outcome and, hopefully, some pictures? Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #79271 26th Oct 2010 1:51 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

All done under warranty without any quibble. I saw the flywheel, not badly worn; no oil just a fair bit of frction plate dust. Nothing worth a photo. I was not shown the pressure plate or the friction plate but decided not to make an issue. Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #79304 26th Oct 2010 6:40 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Read from Alex further back in this thread.
He's spot on (yet again). The are some interesting threads on the Pug 4007 forum which has the same drivetrain as FL2. In fact Peugeot held back the sale of 4007 while they tried to fix the problem but the 4007 and Citroen Crosser and Mit Outlander have all had clutch slip problems with the PSA 2.2 diesel powertrain.
Alex is right, it's something that almost put me off FL2; that is clutch dust on the self adjusting mechanism.
Don't take wear and tear from the dealer, ask to see the so called 'worn out parts'. Of course if you've got a towbar, it's their get out.
The self adjustment mech is defo suspect.
I can't see why you should pay for a worn clutch when it's not worn.
You'd be paying for a design error.
A big one too!

Post #79397 28th Oct 2010 12:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12