Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Worst car experience of my life!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
silvermilnec

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks guys, iv'e spoken to bsm this morning, they won't be sending the car back to LR and won't be paying the £1000 bill either, The £1000 was for a £600 wiring loom and labour Shocked They can't have changed the whole loom just for the battery light being on!!!

Iv'e checked all the fuses and they look ok, i've got lights on the front of the radio but the unit behind doesn't seem to be powering.

On a plus the car drives brilliant with little road noise and very smooth!!! Thumbs Up

thanks for the help guys Thumbs Up

Post #78286 13th Oct 2010 9:49 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I doubt you'll be able to find out now if they are now paying the bill, but what was the fault codes that LR found to make them think 'wiring loom'?

Has things like the radio ever worked with you? I ask that as some people have taken head units of the radio out to install after market ones, and this lost the Parking sensors when doing so

I read you'll be speaking to the previous owner, has that lead to anything Question , I am sure he would say it was all working perfectly when he traded it in though Confused

I think you want to put it in writting that if they don't fix it by XXXX date you will be wanting to hand it back and get a full refund, it sounds like they have sold you a duffer, especially if once been in at LR it was still not fixed

I would walk away as soon as you can if i was you, and get a LR approved, you'll still have the great car the FL2 is but without the lemon scent Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #78288 13th Oct 2010 10:15 am
silvermilnec

The sensors and the radio/bt have all worked with no problems! It was only when a new battery was fitted to try and correct the battery warning light that the sensors stoped working. The radio/bt was working fine until i picked it up from LR last night, the warning light had gone the aux plug fixed but they couldn't find the fault on the sensors and obviously they didn't check all the electrics before handing the car back.

They are blaming an after market tow bar for the sensors but as said the sensors worked fine with the tow bar in place up until the battary was changed.

LR wouldn't give me any details of fault codes, does £600 sound like a full harness or a part harness?

Thumbs Up

Post #78297 13th Oct 2010 11:53 am
neilb

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
stratstone doncaster

Just to let you know about my dealings with Stratstone Doncaster, I enquired about 10 weess ago about a PX for my Evo 8 against a brand new GS,
I was asked to bring my car in saturday afternoon so they could give me a PX value, when I arrived the salesman who looked about 16 yr old looked at my mint motor and then said wait a minute i will get you a price,
he then left me and my family wandering round the showroom for around 45 minutes, after another 15 minutes i said we will go up to the shopping centre about 3 minutes away and come back in an hour or so,
So after about an hour we returned and still he could not give me a PX price, he then said he would ring me on the monday, obviously he did not, so i rung tuesday and left messages for him to ring me,, and again he didn't bother to contact me. I then saw a 3yr old HSE locally and part exchanged my evo. To this day they never rung me back, If I were ever to buy new or used land rover again I would never ever consider visiting them again. And the salesman/boy who i dealt with please feel free to ring me back when your other Censored has dropped. Laughing

Post #78318 13th Oct 2010 7:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: stratstone doncaster

neilb wrote:
.........and the salesman/boy who i dealt with please feel free to ring me back when your other Censored has dropped. Laughing

Absolutely priceless Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #78322 13th Oct 2010 7:58 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

Stratstone Doncaster drop (& talk) lots of Censored

Post #78325 13th Oct 2010 8:06 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I worked for BSM along time ago, I see things haven't changed (say no more) Rolling with laughter And Stratstone's I wouldn't Take my car to them every again. Evil or Very Mad
Throw the keys back get a refund, and buy from a good LR dealer's There are out there ??? But it will cost a little more. Thumbs Up
All the best

Post #78328 13th Oct 2010 8:14 pm
silvermilnec

Ok a bit of an update. Rolling Eyes

I've emailed the garage i purchased the car from and given them a deadline to sort the faults. I've also asked for a 12 months warranty to be now included.

The address of the last owner of the car is local to me, bit of a coincidence. I tried to find the phone number but had no luck so i wrote a small note including my phone number asking for him to give me a call, a bit strange i know but i was starting to think i'd bought a pup!!

The last owner was in the front garden, he was more than happy to talk about his old Land Rover and he invited me in! his wife was just as nice and we started to go through his 2 years experience, all was positive, he hadn't had any of the electrical problems i'd been experiencing, he offered to copy all his invoices for repairs/servicing all being done by Farnell in Leeds who he said he had no problems with and would use again.

So the car does have full Land Rover service history, but i knew that because i've got a stamped book. But at least I know the cars been looked after and the last owner was a decent guy. Looks like i've just been a bit unlucky or maybe lucky! if these faults had happened 3 months down the line i would have had to pay for them, that said i don't think i'd be paying Land Rover £1000 Shocked

Thumbs Up

Post #78353 13th Oct 2010 11:33 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

silvermilnec wrote:
But at least I know the cars been looked after and the last owner was a decent guy.

Thumbs Up freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #78408 14th Oct 2010 7:48 pm
silvermilnec

Update, Happy Happy Happy Very Happy Thumbs Up

Our car went back last week to BSM (motornation) they had a local auto elec company look at it.

They found the parking sensors and audio failure was down to the fitting of the tow bar! The tow bar had been fitted and wired without the land rover tow bar plug. They ordered the correct part fitted and all working as they should.

I must say Bristol Street were excelent (i couldn't say that about the Doncaster LR dealer) they have paid for all the work with no hint of it's not covered in the warranty. We got the car back fully valeted and a full tank of derv Thumbs Up I also spoke to the LR dealer in Leeds who seem to be a much more proffesional outfit to Doncaster, so no problems with future servicing i hope.

Thanks for all the advice, now we can enjoy our new car Thumbs Up

Post #79361 27th Oct 2010 1:28 pm
Lookers Park Royal

silvermilnec wrote:
They are blaming an after market tow bar for the sensors but as said the sensors worked fine with the tow bar in place up until the battary was changed.

Sounds like they were looking in the right area a while back! Whistle

James Thumbs Up

Post #79367 27th Oct 2010 2:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
silvermilnec

Agree, BUT what i don't understand is everything other than the light on the dash worked! that was until LR looked at it! AND WHY COULDN'T THEY FIX THE TOW BAR after all they only had the car for 8 working days! Shocked

BUT I'M HAPPY AND THE CAR IS GREAT Thumbs Up

Post #79374 27th Oct 2010 5:22 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I'm pleased that you've got it sorted but it's not a nice experaince all the same.
You'd have thought that the dealer would have checked that everthing was okay; the customer is not quality control. I had an issue with my FL2 when i bought it so i know how you feel.

Pleased to say that i've had no other problem in 7k miles apart from the dreaded rear PDC sensors in the rain.

Hope you smile every time you drive it; i do!!

Post #79381 27th Oct 2010 7:52 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Stratstone, Have read a few negative posts about them.
My partner and me visited Stratstone Mercedes and looked at 1-2 year old C Class cars, we were in my FL2 but said car to trade would be Volvo convertible. Salesman showed us various petrol and diesel and gave us some brochures to do some homework.
A few days later he phoned and HE arranged a suitable time (3 days later) for us to test a petrol and a diesel.
We duly arrived at dealership (50 mile round trip) and was met by same salesman who had arranged test drive etc, "what can I do for you today" I mentioned his recent call and all I got was a blank look and told no C Class diesels were available to test.
Take what you like from that. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #79383 27th Oct 2010 8:23 pm
jwoch

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tambora Flame

I'm having similar problems with my Freelander two.
The current problem is that the radio and rear parking sensors have not worked since it came back from the dealer who had tried to fix a gear selector problem. I got the same initial question "was it working ok when you brought it in".
There are no fuses blown. Are the sensors and radio connected in some obscure way? What is it that does the beeping? - maybe it plays a sound through the radio? There is some connection because the radio volume is muted when the rear sensors sound.

As for the tow bar problem. I had a tow bar fitted by Stratstone when I bought the car originally. There were lots of problems and after four return visits I was told it wasn't an approved towbar and they wouldn't do anything. There were surprised when I told them it was they who fitted it. They then had no option but to do the job again and it has been ok since.

And by the way, this is the most trouble I've ever had from a car in 25 years of new ones.

Post #84477 16th Dec 2010 8:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>