Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Auto vs. manual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That's true...if the do anything like what auto express came up with a few weeks ago then it's going to be downhill for the defender!

2 ex LR design people work in my studio's and they're being very tight lipped... Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #69441 28th May 2010 1:13 pm
Ricardo

United Kingdom 

I drove my first Freel2 Auto at the weekend at the Land Rover experience centre in Devon and thought it drove very well.

Then I jumped back in my manual and drove back to Hampshire, and thought it also drove very well!

Think the choice is largely down to personal preference and economics. 2011 SD4 HSE Ipanema Sand
Gone but not forgotten - 2007 TD4 SE Izmir Blue

Post #70264 9th Jun 2010 10:29 am
MSBurger065

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

I have a manual 2007 model. I get between 6.9-8l/100km(South africa). They borrowed me a Auto this year when servicing my car and I got 9.5l/100km. I don't drive slow, the auto is not a dual clutch version which I prefer as my other car is an Audi. The FGR on the auto is longer but economy seems to be worse and according to me a DIESEL AUTO CAR is risky when overtaking due to turbo lag. But my manual is by far the best gearbox I have owned.

Post #71247 29th Jun 2010 5:16 pm
alex_pescaru

MSBurger065 wrote:
a DIESEL AUTO CAR is risky when overtaking due to turbo lag.

The turbo lag in no longer than a second...
Are you usually make split second decisions when overtaking??? Shocked
You must be doing some "on the edge" overtakings... Laughing

Post #71255 29th Jun 2010 6:22 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

There's no lag at all when overtaking as the engine and turbo is already spinning. Part of what an auto does is constantly keep the engine in a zone that will offer instant drive and economy.

I think the 'lag' you mean is when pulling away from junctions, that's a mix of turbo and the auto transmission sapping some power. I wouldn't say i've ever found it dangerous though. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #71286 30th Jun 2010 10:41 am
MacWallace

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Back in the 80's I had one of the first Saab Turbos - now there was LAG - there after of course it was a white knuckle performance.
As for the F2, I have never really noticed any lag. If you pre-empt your manouvre there should be no noticable lack of performance - maybe it's the driver Shocked

Post #71304 30th Jun 2010 4:23 pm
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

There is a short lag. But, then again, it's not a sports car Very Happy
As was mentioned earlier, you just need to anticipate.

Post #71310 30th Jun 2010 6:00 pm
Udash

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

On auto if you press the foot down hard then it goes down to a lower gear and during that half a second or so it feels like there's no power and then it acclerates, maybe that what some thinks as the turbo lag. Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto
Zermatt Silver
Side Steps & Mud flaps

Post #71319 30th Jun 2010 8:06 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Auto vs Manual

I don't want to start an ugly battle here. I am biased towards manual so to show fairness, I will concede some points to the auto transmission first.

1. Autos generally hold value better
2. Easier to drive off road
3. Less hassle when driving through towns etc cos no changing gear

I thought about an auto and have driven several FL2 autos. Many people can only drive autos or just prefer them full stop. I find however that the auto is too jerky on kick down and when accelerating fast it revs too high before changing. I love the control that a manual gives you and I find it is very smooth.

Financially, my TD4-e costs less to buy than an auto, is more economical (even more-so with stop/start) and is 2 ROAD TAX BANDS LOWER!. Financially it is a no brainer but I think it is just preference.

Anyone else have any particular reason for choosing one over the other or is it just good old fashioned preference? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #73984 14th Aug 2010 11:03 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I've always preferred autos - I'm terminally lazy - but the only freelander available at the price was a manual, so I bought it. It does have a really good gearbox, and I'm generally happy. However I find that I can get confused in an emergency and stuff it in the wrong gear - happened to me twice so far - and certainly for driving offroad with no low ratio box I'd feel much happier with an auto. All in all though I'm surprised how quickly I got used to it - definitely one of the best manual boxes I've driven (although most of those have been Sherpas, Transits and HGVs, so not much of a contest!)

Post #73993 15th Aug 2010 10:27 am
alex_pescaru

Guys, without wanting to annoy anybody, why don't you make a little search before posting?
There is a topic in the same section and with the same name. It has 4 pages of talks....
Here it is: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5846.html

Post #73999 15th Aug 2010 3:37 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Sorry. My fault for not searching. Blithering idiot Laughing

I must quote the following opinion of Triple7:

With todays modern cars I don't see the point in a manual gearbox, auto's are now superb. Economy is a very subjective matter I feel. If you are talking Bugatti Veyron with 8MPG I can understand, but an extra 3-5MPG is sweet FA between the manual and auto. Also the FL2 loses quite a chunk of money, which is a greater more drain on your pocket than an extra £5 because you have to fill up 50 miles sooner.

Buy the auto, it is all about the joy and ease of driving, not about the cash or you wouldn't consider buying a new LR in the first place.Maybe a used Prius is a better bet?

I respect this opinion as it is each to their own. My view however is quite the opposite. For 'joy and ease of driving' then the manual is superior. The FL2 auto is not as refined as auto lovers would have you believe. It changes smoothly but kick down is jerky and it revs too much. Manual gives you more control. Auto's might be more relaxing in big limos or Range Rovers but not here. Manual everytime. The auto is just irritating. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #74008 15th Aug 2010 6:08 pm
muddywheels

England 

I have had the Manual and the Auto FL2. Thumbs Up

The Manual was more economical but needed more effort.

The Auto was quicker and very smooth. If I used command mode I could get the same fuel economy as the manual but when I relaxed I kept forgetting to change gear Embarassed

I have a RRS Auto now and I think the FL2 auto was just as good Shocked

The e version only benefits townies - in rural areas you will not see any saving because the stop start will never be used - thats why I spent the money on an auto box instead. Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #74059 16th Aug 2010 10:32 am
MSBurger065

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

So I got an auto lent to me again with the 120000km's service and it rode different than the previous one, that car probably had a fault. Manual is great until you get used to autos. Dual Clutch autos is the ultimate though.

Post #75686 10th Sep 2010 8:45 pm
agroman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Muddy Wheels
Agree completely
Having recently changed from a manual to a 10MY auto, can't understand why I didn't get an auto years ago, its fantastic!! Making progress is as smooth as a babies btm! The old (57) manual always suffered from a notchy change - several alterations / changes to remore box / linkage, end result always the same a few miles later.

Towing is great, towing a 1600kg white box earlier this week, didn't drop below 62 on some steep Cornish A30 hills! - see last paragraph. no worrying clutch smells or slipping at 2K+ rpm. Offroading a joy so far, nothing serious yet, getting some Yokohama AT's next week so hopefully these, plus some wet weather will test things more!

Fuel economy about 1-2mpg less than old manual, after 3K miles averaging just over 30mpg, including quite a lot of towing and slow offroad stop start work. When new, on a roads was comfortably getting 32, not light on left foot as I should be either!

Would have liked to wait until SD4, but extra costs made it too expensive for an extra 30hp and bling. If one really wanted to, one could get this extra horse power and torque in the chip tuning market. Whistle 1998 Feelander XDI Hardback - Gone
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Hardback - Gone
2004 Freelander TD4 HSE Stationwaggon - Gone
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS manual - Gone
2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto - Gone
2013 SD4 GS arrived April 2013

Post #75694 10th Sep 2010 9:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>