Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Windscreen bonding - it's falling apart!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
IanB9

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Windscreen bonding - it's falling apart!

The windscreen to body bonding appears to be failing along the top edge of the screen. I noticed a small area at both top corners a couple of years ago, and in the intervening period the area where the bonding has failed is slowly getting bigger. Anyone else had this problem and if so what, if anything, is the fix?

Post #70888 20th Jun 2010 5:48 pm
ad210358

England 

If it's in warranty I notify the dealer. If it's out of warranty the best option is for an heavy object to make contact with it and have a new screen. I had a TD5 out of warranty and the screen started to leak along the top and the dealer advised that. Shocked p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #70892 20th Jun 2010 7:13 pm
IanB9

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Well out of warranty. Think I'll check my insurance T&Cs re windscreen damage.

How heavy should I go?

Post #70893 20th Jun 2010 7:32 pm
ptecuk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

2007 Manual. The driver's side top corner of my windscreen has a very small area of what I believe is delamination of the glass layers. It started to spread very slowly across the top but appears to have stopped at about 5cm. However I got this registered with the dealer a few weeks before the 3 year manufacturers warranty expired. Also I pointed out that some of the driver's side heating elements were not functioning. The dealer is arranging to have a genuine LR replacement screen fitted shortly. The fitting will be done at the dealership but by an experienced outside contractor. I would have preferred not to have the screen replaced unless the delamination worsened but was informed that warranty work has to be carried out in good time. So I only hope that a good job is done and there are no leaks or damage to paintwork. On mine the top and side edges of the screen are visible and not covered by trim. This seems unusual but presume it is normal on this model.

Post #70901 20th Jun 2010 9:40 pm
blinged freelander

Got the same problem, my dealer tried to tell me it was a chipped windscreen, but without the chipped windscreen, but then they are useless tossers in common with a lot of LR dealers. Mine still in warranty, just will take elsewhere. mine started at the top, drivers side, a couple of other 'chips are visable on the top and bottom of the other side.

Post #70926 21st Jun 2010 7:40 pm
CWC9TH

2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Had the problem and dealer replaced windshield at 49k miles under warrenty

Post #71521 5th Jul 2010 3:27 am
chalkey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Had the same problem, contacted my local dealer one month before the 3yrs warranty finished. Landrover are changing the screen next week.

Thumbs Up Thanks to the form, I noticed my screen changing at the top and checked it out using the form. 2013 hse auto, black, almond leather, exnon lights, factory privacy glass, exhaust finisher, rear boot spoiler, mud flaps. Body door side moulding and steps.

Gone and fondly remembered
2012 XS (2013 up-grade LED lights front & rear)
2007 hse (2011 facelift)

Post #73683 9th Aug 2010 6:10 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

IanB9 wrote:
Well out of warranty. Think I'll check my insurance T&Cs re windscreen damage.

How heavy should I go?

A spring loaded punch will do the trick, somewhere in the corner and will look like a stone chip that has cracked the screen. Glass will not fragment due to lamination! Cool

Post #73685 9th Aug 2010 7:22 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I have the problem of the bonding showing missing pieces, I am taking it in for the dealer to look at, they have told me that LR have to approve any windscreen warranty repair, although the gaps in the bonding are obvious, does anybody know how bad they have to be before a replacement is required ? I am reluctant to have the screen replaced but if this problem is going to get worse I want it sorted before the warranty runs out in October. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #73793 11th Aug 2010 9:30 pm
andyrich

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I found a similar " lamination" fault at the top of my screen just about a week after my warranty expired, I called into my local dealer, Guy Salmon to ask about the chance of a sympathetic warranty claim, I was told that LR would not honour warranty claims on windscreens after 1 year. Are other dealers honouring claims up to 3 years ?.

Post #73833 12th Aug 2010 2:01 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi, just checked my windscreen earlier today noticed that my windscreen has started to delaminate on both sides of the windscreen and there is no visable damgage like stone chips and the like.
The Landrover garage have taken pictures and said they would contact me shortly after receiving info from landrover. This is a fault in the manufacture of the screen its self and should be replaced under warranty, which i told them so I think they should repace it as such. Lets hope they do the right thing and do so.
Will keep you all informed as and when i hear anything Thumbs Up

Post #73835 12th Aug 2010 3:20 pm
W.D.C.A.P.H.

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Just had my 3rd service done today. Pointed out slight de-lamination at both lower corners of my screen. Photo's taken and when I picked my car up, I was informed LR had authorised replacement. Also, had authorised a rear tailgate re-spray to sort out a previos crap repair (before I bought the car). Thumbs Up We Don't Care About Pot Holes !!

Post #73837 12th Aug 2010 5:23 pm
superspark

Well ive just heard back from the landrover garage and ive been told that landrover have agreed to replace my windscreen under waranty.She goes in next friday. Lets hope they remember it has a heated screen and rain sensor. Dont think they would be to happy if they had to take it out again if they fitted the wrong one. Sombody might be a little peed off. Mr. Green

Post #73847 12th Aug 2010 7:09 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Taking the car in for a new screen next Tuesday, I thought it was the bonding of screen to body that was failing but they seem to think its the actual screen laminations seperating.

Andyrich

Guy Salmon (Wakefield) have arranged the warranty work, the car will be 3 years old in October !

I have just fitted a removable Thule/Brink towbar, I will see how much they charge for programming the addition of towing electrics, everything works I just have to turn the PDC off manualy at the moment and there is no warning on the dash, I think an independant charge about £30.00. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #74784 27th Aug 2010 6:37 pm
superspark

Got my car back last week after they fitted new windscreen under warranty. It had started to de laminate on both sides of the windscreen. Must of been a faulty batch made at some point.

Post #74787 27th Aug 2010 7:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>