Home > General > Towbar/Stabiliser
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

jeffacus wrote:
Right then,

Thanks guys, lots of good info in under a day! Good stuff!

1. If I go ALKO, can I go for a Detachable towbar?

2. If answer 1 is 'yes' which detachable towbar would be recommended (if as waaxh03 mentioned the landrover one will not comply ro will it?)?

3. If there are any answers to 2, does anyone have any pictures/more comments of any companies they recommend to fit install etc in the Newcastle/surrounding area?

4. If I don't go ALKO and keep with the stabiliser i've got, then I guess its a permanent towbar, correct?

Thanks again!

Ans1 = If you go Alko you can go for a detachable tow bar.
Ans 2= The Land Rover detachable tow bar will fit. There are many people on this forum using one. (If you look at the bar just before the ball it has a long neck so as the Alko Hitch can swivel on it.
The swan neck will also fit.
The fixed height tow bar will also fit as long as the ball on it has a long neck between the bend and the ball.
Compare the two towing balls on this url http://www.towsure.com/search
The top one has a longer neck than the lower on. That is because it is made for the Alko Stabiliser but can also be used for the hitch without a built in stabiliser.
The lower one is only for a hitch without a built in stabiliser.
As said before by mcphersonstrut make sure you remove ant paint off a new towing ball. It will contaminate the friction pads if you dont.
Ans 4 = Yes if you keep the stabiliser you have got you will need the permanent tow bar (called a fixed height tow bar when I bought mine).
I personally would keep the detachable tow bar you have got and buy an Alko Hitch but then again I don't know which is cheapest.

waaxh03

Post #67372 27th Apr 2010 7:37 pm
BFGLR2Man

Germany 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Alaska White

Just to add a couple of pennies worth of comments.

If you go for a bulldog type stabiliser then you can get brackets which clamp around swan neck towbars. However, they are a real **** to tighten enought not to move. The last one I had needed spot welding to stop it moving. The standard fit detachable has plenty of room for BPW/ALKO stabiliser. If in doubt check the towbar measurements in the handbook (there must be 60mm clearance between the ball and the back of the car). Thumbs Up Freelander 2.2e HSE , Privacy, Fully debadged, 19" Chrome SHadow alloys

Post #67393 28th Apr 2010 9:23 am
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Bulldog DOES make a clamp for their stabiliser brackets to fit to a swan-neck style towbar and it MIGHT fit onto the LR/Brink removable. See http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/products/prod112248 The Bulldog/Scott blade stabilisers are notoriously poor (the friction pads glaze readily) and the ALKO ones are meant to be much better (although mine seems to get 'contaminated' and I need to clean the pads off every trip).

However, a properly loaded and well set up trailer should not need a stabiliser at all. I've forgotten to apply the friction pads on my Alko stabiliser a couple of times and not noticed any difference in its tendency to (not) sway behind the FL2.

My view on the removable towbar, in hindsight, is that I'd have saved the money had I realised the 12n/12s sockets remained so visible. I'd have gone for a fixed towbar.

Post #67400 28th Apr 2010 10:23 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Firestar wrote:

However, a properly loaded and well set up trailer should not need a stabiliser at all. I've forgotten to apply the friction pads on my Alko stabiliser a couple of times and not noticed any difference in its tendency to (not) sway behind the FL2. .......

Having towed vans for years I agree with the comment above. I would ask why are you fitting a stabiliser?
Ok I have it easy in that my vans have never exceeded 1200kg, the only time I have experienced difficulty is when unintentionally exceeding 85mph, or towing with a 1.1 Fiat Uno.
Fitted a stabiliser to the first Freelander, didn't notice any difference, never used one since.

Give it a try without, then see if you need to spend the extra. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #67415 28th Apr 2010 12:56 pm
waaxh03

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Andy131 "exceeding 85mph". Even GC wouldn't complain about that. OR would he?

waaxh03 Smile

Post #67451 28th Apr 2010 7:24 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

depends on the conditions, maybe he was out of control on a long hill? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #67452 28th Apr 2010 7:47 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Started to pass a coach on the long climb North bound up the M6 just past J15.
He was doing 45-50 as I started, 75+ and accelerating as I drew level, wasn't ever going to back off, but then again niether was I. Twisted Evil

As the bow wave from the front of the bus hit the van things got "busy". Censored

Not funny, SWMBO was not amused. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #67461 28th Apr 2010 11:18 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

damned irresponsible I say Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #67462 28th Apr 2010 11:34 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I agree - you would think coach drivers would know better Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #67464 29th Apr 2010 12:21 am
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Andy131 wrote:
I agree - you would think coach drivers would know better

So should you, Not surprised SWMBO was not amused, when he got to 70 you should have backed off and let him get on with it 

Post #67465 29th Apr 2010 12:41 am
Marky

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Jeffacus - just in case you haven't read it............ here's a similar link that may be of use

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5735.html?highlight= 2010 FL2 XS Auto in Santorini Black with HSE alloys

Post #67471 29th Apr 2010 7:36 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Christian

You are possibly missing the point. - it's about towing with/without a stabiliser.
Towed 60mph ish to London and back, no hint of a shake, have driven many miles with van on back and it's very stable.
But
The LR doesn't notice the van, so coming up a long incline, passing traffic speed aming for a spot to pull back into the first lane. Numpty in coach thinks its fun to stop vanner from overtaking.
The increase in speed not really noticable until you actually draw level with front of coach. If you are aware that you are travelling at speed you tend to move over to the right when overtaking (left when being overtaken).
The bow wave hits the van, van starts to get interesting, look down at speedo, Censored then floor it to smooth out the outfit so it can be brought down to normal speed in a strait line.

Follow coach for 30miles, if he had got out I would ave ended up in court/prison, wife eventually persuaded me to back off. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Backing off not really in my nature. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #67472 29th Apr 2010 7:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12