« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 Reliability
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
ham888

United Kingdom 

Hi bigmeg

I too am looking around at present for a replacement for our Skoda 4x4 (octavia) and having owned a FL2 before I am considering one again. The Skoda has coped brilliantly in the recent snow as did our FL2 last year - but the missus wants to sit up high again...hence the change.

Just my opinion in reply to your questions:

From the driving you described any of the cars you mention would cope fine and yes the S of the FL2 would be fine also.

I personally would not consider a Land Rover without a manufacturers warranty - having had 'issues' with the FL2 and Disco 3 we owned - both fantastic vehicles, loved them both....but wouldn't touch a LR with a proverbial barge pole without a good chunk of manufacturers warranty left - just my opinion.

Another option we are considering is the Subaru Forester - just an idea for you

Hope that helps

Post #53013 28th Dec 2009 2:00 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Forrester had a really bad review on fifth gear against the FL2.
I think its on youtube.

And here it is. Thumbs Up

Post #53014 28th Dec 2009 2:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Subaru Forester ! now come on, have you given up the will to live Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #53016 28th Dec 2009 2:56 pm
bigmeg

United Kingdom 

Cheers Ham888. I would love a Freelander 2 but im getting the feeling that things continue to go wrong with them ie.Parking sensors, B pilller needing replaced. Also the MPG is a factor with me and If anyone has the new stop/start system it would be great to know what MPG you get for day2day driving.

Thanks again

Post #53017 28th Dec 2009 3:21 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

bigmeg wrote:
Cheers Ham888. I would love a Freelander 2 but im getting the feeling that things continue to go wrong with them ie.Parking sensors, B pilller needing replaced. Also the MPG is a factor with me and If anyone has the new stop/start system it would be great to know what MPG you get for day2day driving.

Thanks again

Sorry bigmeg, but that is RUBBISH talk Evil or Very Mad - several unlucky guys on here moan continusly about those two irritating but small problems, however the majority of us have NOT had those problems at all Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #53019 28th Dec 2009 3:50 pm
ham888

United Kingdom 

Yes I would tend to agree with AndyC there - the problem with forums 'problems' can seem worse or more common than they actually are...look at any car forum they are all the same.

Dont get me wrong the FL2 is a wonderful bit of kit but like I said I personally would not consider one without a full warranty unlike some other manufacturers where I would - Japanese for example.

As for MPG - diesel manual was 27 mpg - which would creep over 30 on a long trip.

My personal experience is things did go wrong - expensive stuff, expensive for LR that is, hence my opinion.

Oh and whats wrong with a Forester? Capable - and considerably cheaper than a FL2. Ok a lot boring but reliable and backed by great dealers.....try saying that hand on heart about a LR... Laughing

Having said all that our next car will most likely be a GS auto - why - because they are brilliant vehicles!

Post #53026 28th Dec 2009 4:19 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Forum's are absolutely full of valuable info but as suggested before can bring out all the bad points if that's just what you are searching for. As Andy C says do you think the Tiguan and Honda are not without problems/recalls, Subaru Forester is an option but a Skoda....now that is loosing the will to live Confused

Post #53033 28th Dec 2009 5:31 pm
landieguy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

Whether to choose a FL2 over the offerings of Honda, VW etc. Well I went down the same comparison route before opting for a FL2. Why - because the others looked a bit mamby pandy in comparison - if you going to have a 4X 4 its got to look the part. Most of the opposition are so car like, all rounded and curvy bits - ok if you are a hairdresser or your names Roger because its the type they like.
As far as realibility goes - I would agree with other forum members that the FL2 is no worse than the rest, in fact just before making my mind up, I read an article re the poor sod who had bought a new Honda CR2 only to find the air con didn't work and according to his dealer it was needing a re-gas which was outside the warranty cover.
My suggestion would be to drive all the alternatives - not just round the block but have a half day in each and then drive the FL2. Don't drive the FL2 first as this will immediately spoil the chances of anything else coming anywhere near.
The FL2 may not have the best mpg, it may have a few niggles etc but it drives like a dream and has performance a plenty.

JUst a sub note - inasmuch that the comments in this forum are predominately from owner members who care about the cars thy drive and as such niggles tend, if I am typical to sometimes p Censored s you off. But that the nature of us - some owners don't give a hoot - they drive and irrespective of the noises the car makes or the fact fact that bits fall off doesn't seem to bother them.

Post #53034 28th Dec 2009 5:38 pm
AndyC

Oh come on guys Shocked - anything less than a Land Rover Freelander 2 is loosing the will to live Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #53035 28th Dec 2009 5:42 pm
proplus

OK, I can't comment on the other manufacturers, but I have driven a Honda CRV and it drives like a tractor and tons of road noise from the tyres.

Post #53068 28th Dec 2009 11:33 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Can't agree more with Proplus - borrowed the boss's Honda and had the same complaint - heavy stearing and had to really boot it to make it go at anything like motorway speed (hope he doesn't find out!) Laughing .

I get to drive lots of differnt cars when I'm out on business and getting back in the FL2 always puts a smile on my face!

All cars are going to have niggles, the point is can you get them sorted. I have handed back Renaults and Vauxhalls because the dealers can't get to the bottom of issues - the last Zafira had been put together by apprentices apprentice after a long lunch in the pub! just about every thing from wheels, brakes to Turbo was replaced in first 6 months. It was off road almost a much as on (same can be said for my FL2 but its the right kind of Off-Road!).

I have had problems with my FL2 - all of them have been sorted to my satisfaction so far - the usual b-pillar trim wear, rusty wheel nuts, aircon pulley, PTC heater etc etc. Its always done with a smile and usually a follow up call to check I'm happy. Thumbs Up

Take a ride in one then make up your mind - if you have doubts then it probably isn't for you. There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #53147 29th Dec 2009 10:34 pm
ham888

United Kingdom 

As this thread seems to be discussing FL2 alternatives I thought I'd post this here instead of making a new thread.

Sat in a Kuga today - whilst looking around for a replacement for our Skoda 4x4. Whats peoples opinions here on that vehicle.

We went to look because it does look nice from the outside but I have to say the interior is absolutely ghastly (imho) - horrible!! Anyone else have opinions on this....

The other car we looked at today was a Q5 - liked that a lot have to say and are going to take a test drive....bloomin expensive though! A poverty spec one with auto is pushing 30k! Anyone here tried one?

At present a GS FL2 auto (+a few goodies) is favourite.

Post #53243 30th Dec 2009 9:11 pm
AndyC

Kuga's and Auda's Evil or Very Mad good greif what is the forum coming too Rolling Eyes

The Kuga is not realy in the same class - smaller, cheaper, and it's off road abilities - I wonder Question
If you think the FL2 has issues - buy a Q5 and find out what issues are Laughing In fact only today the motoring press reported a recall of 40000 Q5's http://e24.no/naeringsliv/article3443978.ece
Audi = Auda = Ouch Rolling with laughter be warned Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #53252 30th Dec 2009 10:37 pm
The Doc

United Kingdom 

Our FL2 is and has been 100% since we bought it Thumbs Up

Post #53261 30th Dec 2009 10:59 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

AndyC wrote:
Kuga's and Auda's Evil or Very Mad good greif what is the forum coming too Rolling Eyes

The Kuga is not realy in the same class - smaller, cheaper, and it's off road abilities - I wonder Question
If you think the FL2 has issues - buy a Q5 and find out what issues are Laughing In fact only today the motoring press reported a recall of 40000 Q5's http://e24.no/naeringsliv/article3443978.ece
Audi = Auda = Ouch Rolling with laughter be warned Thumbs Up

Oh yes...we like information like that Thumbs Up
Give that man a cigar Bow down

Post #53267 30th Dec 2009 11:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>