« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > USB socket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
USB socket

Wanting to fit a usb socket as in photo usb1 to top of dash mainly to power external sat nav unit.
I was thinking of placing at position A failing that at B. Looking to place at position A or B, shown in pic
usb 2. I think neither are suitable as does not look, or feel to be sufficient clearance, need 55mm minimum, under the dash. I do not want to start drilling holes and then find not suitable.
I cannot see an other suitable position either. All this is so I do not have a cable going across dash to cigarette socket.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Bogart on 13th Sep 2024 12:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #444665 13th Sep 2024 10:40 am
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Bogart , i put mine in the passenger footwell fuse box connected to F5 ( I think ) then ran a cable under the dash up the A pillar and under the roof lining near to the wind screen , that powers a dash cam that is mounted near the rear view mirror ? don't know if that's of any help . 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #444666 13th Sep 2024 11:19 am
DEG5Y

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

As you don't have the centre speaker, can you not make a backing plate and fit it in the speaker hole where the is plenty of depth.

OR

something like this;
https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/ultra-sl...5460-p.asp

Post #444667 13th Sep 2024 11:20 am
Bogart

robblue wrote:
Bogart , i put mine in the passenger footwell fuse box connected to F5 ( I think ) then ran a cable under the dash up the A pillar and under the roof lining near to the wind screen , that powers a dash cam that is mounted near the rear view mirror ? don't know if that's of any help .

I haave a dashcam wired as you describe. I actually want the sat nav to be at the bottom of the windscreen and as it is not always used I do not want a cable flopping about though that would be the easiest solution.

Post #444668 13th Sep 2024 12:16 pm
Bogart

DEG5Y wrote:
As you don't have the centre speaker, can you not make a backing plate and fit it in the speaker hole where the is plenty of depth.

OR

something like this;
https://www.altecautomotive.co.uk/ultra-sl...5460-p.asp

Passed my mind but I thought it might look odd a socket in the middle of a speaker grille.

Post #444669 13th Sep 2024 12:17 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I installed a 12v socket in the corner of the console. Its simply velcroed in, a touch wobbly, but it works really well. I could make a more "engineered" bracket as compact, but to date the Velcro has worked well. Soldered some thinner wires on the back & heat shrinked to pull around the edge.

The TPMS is as compact at a USB adaptor, actually it also has a USB socket on the top edge. I wired it to the fuse box, somewhere, with a separate circuit breaker.

The black plastic console trim surround unscrews & pulls towards you after removing the two screws under the upper face on the trim. Then you have access to feed wires to the centre console area.

GPS magnetic mount: www.freel2.com/forum/topic36057.html

Still working brilliantly! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 13th Sep 2024 12:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #444670 13th Sep 2024 12:26 pm
DEG5Y

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Did you look at the link?

Post #444671 13th Sep 2024 12:27 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Or something like this, so a bit smaller, then plug that in the USB adaptor.

Square Single Port USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #444672 13th Sep 2024 12:42 pm
Bogart

DEG5Y wrote:
Did you look at the link?

Yes what I did not like is the screw holes I prefer those that fasten by a collar at the back of the panel

Post #444674 13th Sep 2024 3:30 pm
Bogart

Lightwater wrote:
I installed a 12v socket in the corner of the console. Its simply velcroed in, a touch wobbly, but it works really well. I could make a more "engineered" bracket as compact, but to date the Velcro has worked well. Soldered some thinner wires on the back & heat shrinked to pull around the edge.

The TPMS is as compact at a USB adaptor, actually it also has a USB socket on the top edge. I wired it to the fuse box, somewhere, with a separate circuit breaker.

The black plastic console trim surround unscrews & pulls towards you after removing the two screws under the upper face on the trim. Then you have access to feed wires to the centre console area.

Nice idea the thing being help on with magnets. As mentioned window mounted ones are a tad awkward to touch especially if on the passenger side. I will look into that and possibly just use a single usb outlet on the dash. I can change the front cigarette lighter to a multi socket option if needed.

GPS magnetic mount: www.freel2.com/forum/topic36057.html

Still working brilliantly!

Post #444675 13th Sep 2024 3:34 pm
Bogart

Looks a good idea using magnets will give that some thought. I have changed the fron cigarette lighter for a multi usb outlet so would only need a single usb outlet on the actual dash so smaller options available.

Post #444684 14th Sep 2024 8:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1