« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fuel Fitler Change Interval
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

DirtyDuck wrote:
Going against the grain here, but surely a fuel filter is one item that deterioration is simply is a function of mileage. If it’s good for 20k, and you do 5k a year, why not 4 years?

All the fluids I get. But a fuel filter? I only use JLR filters.

I’m just putting together my own personal schedule for fluids and filters (because I too don’t accept JLR recommendations on servicing, and do very few miles - all my changes will be way shorter than JLR recommendations, bar the fuel filter)

True. A fuel filter will accumulate its dirt load based on miles travelled, rather than time, same for the air filter. So yes I change them based on miles and not time. However for dealer servicing, it makes sense to change everything at a fixed time or mileage, as it prevents items being forgotten, or multiple trips to the dealer.

I change my oil and oil filter at 6k mile / 12 month intervals, air filter at 12k intervals. I do the fuel at 24k intervals, or if it's being removed for other work, like glow plugs. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Gone.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.
Audi A5 convertible, my daily driver.
1972 Hillman Avenger GT, the project.

Post #444340 27th Aug 2024 12:34 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

I do all my own servicing. And only about 2000 miles a year now.

So I’ve created my own check sheet. Annual oil change is probably moot, and I could save on the oil filter biannually, but it’s easier just to do it. I lay the car up for 4 months a year, so while it could easily go 2 years for an oil change, I’d rather it had fresh oil to sit in for those 4 months.

This is my personal schedule for the next 10 years! (I even have one for the following 10 - now that’s optimism!

This one wouldn’t work for a regular driver, but it’s not bad and has references for a number of the oils and parts.

(Can you tell I’ve just retired - too much time on my hands!)

Post #444356 27th Aug 2024 9:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12