« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Old cherry battery.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
Old cherry battery.

This like an addendum to my problems last week battery wise. Anyway have fitted a new battery and fully charged it. My battery charger stops normal charging with it showing 13.2V, not keen of fast charging if no need. So this morning checked voltage some 16hrs later and is showing 12.4V. Seems quite a drop
for that time period. So connected ammeter to see drain. On locking car current draw is 4.2A then drops off over the space of a few minutes to 0.43A, car fully locked. This figure then stays steady. Now by my reckoning that over 10Ah per day. This seems a lot to me. I know the car is supposed to shut itself down
if not used, unsure when this starts. But at 10Ah a day will not take long to impact a 85Ah battery.
Even so I find the drop from 13.2V to 12.4V rather alarming over the 16 hr period.
Am I missing anything obvious?

Post #443647 27th Jul 2024 11:26 am
DEG5Y

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Using a charger, the imediate voltage you read whether the charger is still fitted and charging or just removed is the charging voltage. the charging voltage tends to be higher than the voltage that the battery will then settle at (even when disconnected from any source of drain.), over a period of time.
To achieve a fully charged battery, the car delivers a charging voltage of 14.4V.

When I bought mine it had a dodgey battery (First showed itself when it couldn't maintain running the radio without wanting to shut it down after about 15mins) After I replaced it I started to double lock the car EVERY time I got out of it, as the systems shut down quicker, whether this has helped I don't know but, I'm still using the same battery I fitted seven years ago.

I have one of these plugged into the front power socket. (That way it powers off with the car)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EBTOOLS-Charger-V...mp;sr=8-27

Post #443648 27th Jul 2024 11:54 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Are you double locking your car?
Do you have a Bluetooth odb2 device plugged in? If so, have you disconnected or shutdown the app you use to monitor it correctly. If that isn’t done with some Land Rovers the battery can be drained. (VOSA have issued a directive to MOT testers not to use OBD devices in Land Rovers.)
As said above, the drop from charging to rest isn’t alarming, it’s what it does from then on. A new battery can be faulty and the 10amps a day is way too high. It took the battery in SWMBO’s fiesta 15 days to drop 0.1 of a volt and that is a 9 year old battery.
The Ctek I use goes into maintenance mode when it thinks the battery is fully charged.
I use these on both of our cars. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R4...;_osacat=0

Post #443651 27th Jul 2024 2:10 pm
Bogart

Yes always double lock. I realise the charging voltage is higher than it will settle down to. Am just wondering what is drawing the 0.4A as there is nothing on inside. I will put on a fast charge as see what it stops charging at with that.

Post #443653 27th Jul 2024 5:27 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Here are my results

March 2023 using Multimeter and Clamp
Battery is 850 CCA
Alternator is 180amp
Battery Draw in sleep state after 40 minutes 18 mA (0.018 on scale) max draw should be less than 23 mA
Under full load everything switched on. 136amps going in from Alternator
Volts 14.58 so Alternator is very good
Cranking Volts drop to 10.66
Battery voltage at rest is 12.6

Post #443657 27th Jul 2024 9:51 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Checking the battery voltage after unlocking the car and waking up all the ecu's will give your a lower reading. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #443658 27th Jul 2024 10:35 pm
Bogart

Am thinking it might be the dashcam. Disconnecting the ammeter yesterday evening the dashcam sprang to life or shut down not sure which. This then repeated itself as I reconnected the battery. So I will disconnect the dashcam and see the current draw then.

Post #443665 28th Jul 2024 8:14 am
Bogart

Had stupidly wired dashcam into a constant live feed. Cannot remeber which feed I used on my last one.
Have now wired it into the tailgate/fuel flap fuse connection. Current now is only 0.3A somewhat better than 4.3A. Obviously if I switch it off after driving is finished problem never arises in first place.
Last weekend the fact it had been draining battery coupled with A/C going full tilt was enough to push battery over the top.

Post #443669 28th Jul 2024 11:21 am
BossBob

People deliberately connect their dashcams to a permanent live feed so that incidents can be recorded when the car is parked and shut down not realising that in effect the dashcam is never turned off. The so called ‘battery savers’ that they supply are set too low a voltage for a car like a Freelander 2. It would be better (but more expensive) to feed the dashcam from a separate battery which in turn can be charged by the car when it is running.

Post #443671 28th Jul 2024 11:33 am
Bogart

Mine has facailty to record if car is bumped. If that works I making assumption that dashcam internal battery will suffice for that. Though not sure how big a knock is supposed to activate it.

Post #443672 28th Jul 2024 11:45 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

It's not difficult to run an auxiliary battery off the car (unpowered when the engine is off).

It's just not worth running accessories off the starter battery when the engine is off.

I have 4 x 26AH (due to space in the car) gel batteries, mostly to power the compressor fridge (about 15AH per 24 hours).

Don't quite do enough driving to charge auxiliary batteries, so plug in the Victron smart charger.

Also charge them via DC-DC chargers (have them in parallel in the boot) when engine is running.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Two DC-DC chargers at bottom, stacked.
Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #443677 28th Jul 2024 12:26 pm
BossBob

Bogart wrote:
Mine has facailty to record if car is bumped. If that works I making assumption that dashcam internal battery will suffice for that. Though not sure how big a knock is supposed to activate it.

Think about it, if it takes 0.4 of an amp to run the dashcam and that is flattening your starter battery, how long do you think that the tiny battery or capacitor inside the dashcam is going to run it?

Post #443682 28th Jul 2024 1:55 pm
Bogart

They reckon 15 minutes. Enough to capture the event.

Post #443683 28th Jul 2024 1:59 pm
BossBob

But the dash cam system is live all the time so as to monitor for the event and if it stores frames from before the event (as some do) it must be constantly recording and discarding images.

Post #443686 28th Jul 2024 3:18 pm
Bogart

That is what I am unsure about. With the car locked the dashcam switched off there is no current drawn worth talking of. Unsure how it is supposed to start up and record in a quick enough fashion is beyond me.

Post #443687 28th Jul 2024 6:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1