« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Falken Wildpeak AT3WA All Terrain Tyre Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue
Falken Wildpeak AT3WA All Terrain Tyre Review

If you're looking for a good all terrain tyre that works as well on-road as it does off-road, I can personally vouch for the Falken Wildpeaks. On our car we have gone for 245/65/R17's over the standard tyre size of 235/65/R17. The Wildpeaks are available in either size. Smile

If you're worried about noise if you're used to a pure road focused tyre, I did a very unscientific scientific test to see if the Falken Wildpeak all terrain tyre is any louder than the tyre that the Freelander 2 was released on, the Goodyear Wrangler. It also gives you some idea of the difference between a 235 road tyre and a 245 all terrain on a Freelander 2.

https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #442650 19th Jun 2024 5:51 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

All tyres get noisier as they age. I have 2 spares & have rotated the 2 spares onto the car well after they should have been.

It was an eye opener to how quite the two unused spares were.

Also due to having 6 wheels have been able to do all changes in pairs.

So new tyres are the quietest.

Rear of the Freelander is noisier

Moving wheels left to right gives you a second life of quietness.

Stuffing every last corner of the car with acoustic insulation keeps our old AT tyres still as a remote background non issue.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #443510 22nd Jul 2024 2:47 pm
Dean1234

One thing that I do get the impression of from this forum is that some makes and models of tyres get alot louder as they age more so than others which only get a little louder compared to when they are new. I'm guessing it's the makeup of the rubber and how the chemistry changes within it as it heats and cools over it's lifetime and also how old the rubber gets if the car isn't used much.

I do go to the effort of rotating the tyres around on our Freelander after a good chunk of milage has been put on them in their current position. In a perfect world I'm hoping that all 4 get to about 2mm all at the same time. It will then be interesting to run a similar test to above when they do get to that stage to see if there is any difference in db's and then do it again once new tyres have been fitted. Smile

I don't suppose you have a garden that can fit a small tent do you Lightwater? I'm feeling a nice road trip from England to Sydney to film an acoustic insulation video where you can show us how it's properly done on our Freelander 2. Very Happy https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #443516 22nd Jul 2024 4:26 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Very nice tyre but too expensive for me and my sons freelander ,as we go across stony fields occasionally ,and use comfessor cf 1100 all terrain tyres,at £105 each not the end of the world if we damage one.

Post #443600 25th Jul 2024 10:47 pm
Dean1234

I have seen those tyres on a few Freelander 2's Sid and definitely one that we would put on our shortlist if we wanted to try something different. Smile https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #443617 26th Jul 2024 2:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1