« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Diff Overhaul
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Boxa

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
Diff Overhaul

Well its been a month or so since the top end rebuild on my freelander and im very pleased with the way its running so thought it was now time to tackle the rear diff noise that is driving me nuts at speeds over 40 mph, I won't bore you all with the process of removing the diff as its been covered many times on the forum and is just one of those jobs that requires patience and common sense I did mine on the garage floor with both rear wheels just a couple of inches of the ground, once the diff was removed I stripped it and found the nose bearing on the pinion was very badly worn,

I then looked at the bearings on the crown wheel carrier and found that these were also discoloured and slightly marked

new bearings and seals were then fitted I had a friend make me a tool for the front pinion seal as this has to be fitted perfectly 10mm deep and I didn't want to risk getting it wrong after all the work rebuilding the difff

so I also decided to give the haldex a full service while I was in there just for peace of mind and its only about £60 for the filter and oil complete with the syringe,
fitting the diff back in the car on my own was a bit of a struggle but its possible just take your time plenty of tea and breaks and don't rush it,
diff fitted both oil levels done correctly and took it for a test drive and its now silent apart from a very slight hum that I have now diagnosed as the ns rear wheel bearing a job that ill do next week,
Overall its a job that is very possible for the home mechanic but you do need access to a good press and be fairly competent with the spanners as its not a job you want to do twice
total cost inc oils bearings seals haldex service kit was about £200 so its a big saving and I know its done right Smile

Post #441835 22nd May 2024 8:40 pm
janderson41

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Boxa, can I say a big well done. I have neither the knowledge or capability to do such a job.
I had a new diff fitted by Bell last year and couldn’t believe how quiet the car is.
Take a wee break and enjoy the Freelander 2.
Cheers
Jim A Jim A
Fl2 HSE 2010 auto
Disco 2Td5 auto 2002 gone
Disci 1 300Tdi auto 1996 gone

Post #441839 23rd May 2024 6:53 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

@ Boxa

Well done.
Ive got a bit of a whine but it could be the tryes as they will need replacing soon.
Fingers crossed its the tyres. Jules

Post #441843 23rd May 2024 9:42 am
Boxa

Easiest way to diagnose is to get to a speed where you can hear the noise and try to rock the car to the left or right this will take the weight of the bad bearing and will tell you what side is noisy for example if you go to the left sharply weight will be reduced on offside bearing and vice versa hope this helps

Post #441845 23rd May 2024 10:42 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Well done. I did the same job a few years ago on mine, as my diff seized at 50 MPH mid corner.

I rebuilt the replacement diff before fitting it.

That reminds me, I need to sell the tool and seal pressing guide, as I'll not be needing those again. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Gone.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.
Audi A5 convertible, my daily driver.
1972 Hillman Avenger GT, the project.

Post #441853 23rd May 2024 5:18 pm
Boxa

yes me too I actually stole your pic of the seal tool as I had left mine at my friends and forgot to take a pic
lol

Post #442035 31st May 2024 12:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1