Home > General > Driving in this snow we've had
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
butlerpeter

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
Driving in this snow we've had

Hi guys,

I've had my Freely for about 10 days now - got it just in time for this latest snowfall.

My previous car was a Focus ST and was brilliant in the dry or the wet but a nightmare on anything icy or snowy. In those conditions it was a case of tiptoe-ing along and holding on for dear life!

Now though, I have the Freely and - having never driven a 4x4 until now - was wondering if anybody out there could give me some tips on driving these things in the snow.

Do I need to be as careful as I had to in the Focus?

Should I change the terrain response to something other than the normal setting? (I have been putting it in Grasss, Gravel and Snow mode but that was mainly just because it was an excuse to twiddle with the knob)

Basically any and all tips for driving the Freelander on snowy and icy roads will be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Peter

Post #36135 3rd Feb 2009 12:37 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

My advice is stick it in G,G&Snow to reduce the possibility of wheels spin due to it watering down the throttle response

Drive like you would have done in the ST, you'll find the car can still slip on corners, especially on compacted snow/ice and you still need to stop carefully in a car that weight alot more

Basically a 4x4 means you be able to get up inclines that other are wheels spinning and getting nowhere, but you will still be able to have the back end lose it turning a corner, and then the DSC kicks in (i sometimes add power to drive the wheels round Whistle ). But you still stop like any other car, with ABS kicking in etc

Drive slow, Drive safe Thumbs Up

Obviously a second set of winter tyres will be recommended by our "frosty friends", these are a personal choice for the 3 days per year we need them. Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #36137 3rd Feb 2009 12:47 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Wise words from our site moderator Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #36138 3rd Feb 2009 12:52 pm
mikeandpauline

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi, not an expert but brought up and live on a farm in snowy Scotland, and my 'road' has been blocked by snow in May! so just a few tips that I use, may not be right but they work for me.

1. use the terrain setting for snow, it reduces the harshness of acceleration and changes the way the power is transmitted to the wheels. a good test for this is...find a nice icey or snow covered road...in normal mode select 1st gear then drive away accelerating hard, notice the way the car responds and slips and tries to get grip, then select the snow setting and repeat...it is astonishing the difference it makes. don't ask me how it works, it's way too technical for me, I am sure there will be plenty on this site who are willing to baffle us with the science!

2.brake earlier and gently, it may have extra grip accelerating, but it is still the same as any other car trying to stop with the addition of the extra weight.

3. where possible drive on fresh snow, not compacted snow, as long as it is not too deep, fresh snow will give you extra grip with the tyres we have.

4. try to use as high a gear as possible when setting off, or going up hill, (not as important when using snow prog) and use the engine as a brake going downhill,

5. bottom line is anticipate and react to everything earlier and gentlier (if there is such a word) than normal.

best experience is to find a quiet snowy road and learn how you and the car react.

have fun Thumbs Up

Mike still smiling........

Post #36142 3rd Feb 2009 12:58 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Even wiser words Mike Thumbs Up - just hope the others on here listen to what you tell them Rolling Eyes

I would also advocate the use of terrain response snow setting for snow and ice. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #36147 3rd Feb 2009 1:12 pm
butlerpeter

Thanks everyone - I shall stick to using GG+Snow setting then and drive it like it's made of glass.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) we don't get many snowy days in these parts. Even the last couple of days we haven't had too much here - but enough to make you wary.

Post #36153 3rd Feb 2009 1:22 pm
mikeandpauline

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Yes sorry Andyc should have included ice also, we have a big 'melt' on today and forcasts for -4 and below tonight so it is very relevant to include ice.

will be fun tomorrow morning watching the 'skaters' trying to negotiate the 1 in 10 hill with sharp bend outside my home, we have had numerous accidents this year mostly involving 4x4's, the drivers of which think that because it say's 4x4 on the boot it will not slip on ice and snow, we have actually had less accidents involving 'normal' cars this year, because the drivers know their limitations and drive according to the conditions, whereas most 4x4 drivers think they are invulnerable..........sorry off on a rant there, fed up repairing damaged ditches and walls.

mike still smiling........

Post #36157 3rd Feb 2009 1:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I often slip the HDC on when coming down steeper hills, especially if there is a give way at the bottom, using the cruise control buttons to slow the car.

Last night i heard a horn sounding in a warning sort of style

Looked out my lounge window, saw another vectra half on the on the pavement and road, sliding sideways'ish and then a nissan micra sped past doing about 40mph Shocked straight down a iced over hill

This chap then managed to control a near sideways skid in his vectra, just missing a garden wall with a car behind it

Looneys Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #36158 3rd Feb 2009 1:29 pm
butlerpeter

Those are exactly my reasons for asking the questions mike.

This 4x4 lark is all new to me so I wanted to get some info rather than just assume 4x4 means it will stick to anything.

I think I will have to get myself onto a Land Rover Experience to find out just what these things can do.

Post #36161 3rd Feb 2009 1:34 pm
Grumpa 2

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

butlerpeter wrote:
Those are exactly my reasons for asking the questions mike.

This 4x4 lark is all new to me so I wanted to get some info rather than just assume 4x4 means it will stick to anything.

I think I will have to get myself onto a Land Rover Experience to find out just what these things can do.

I did the LR Experience last week and can really recommend it. They use an automatic and what the Freelander (and of courese the other Land Rovers) can do off road is amazing.

Post #36162 3rd Feb 2009 1:45 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I agree with the excellent advice given above. Just remember as you drive that the only advantage you have over other cars is that 4 wheels can drive and keep you moving. But just like every other car you have 4 tyres on the ground, 4 tyres braking and only 2 tyres steering.
If you have an accident I`ll guarantee that it will be because the car didn`t stop when you wanted it to or didn`t steer in the direction you wanted it to! And your 4x4 weighs more than your average car so takes more stopping.
So drive it very carefully - just like it was on ice!!!!!! Very Happy Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #36207 3rd Feb 2009 10:19 pm
stangs

We've had about a foot of snow here on the threshold of the peak district and pennines. We live on a hill and it's been really enjoyable driving to work. My cooper s would have been a bit hairy, so the auto fl2 is nice to have. Monday morning turning off a gritted road onto a snow covered country lane I was going a little too fast. The car started to skid sideways, so I eased off the throttle a little, and it sorted itself out. I wasn't doing a ridiculous speed, and slipped only for a second or two but I was cautious after that. HDC was used on a steep incline, which was very impressive. Overall it's been good fun!

Post #36210 3rd Feb 2009 11:01 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I found out that hill descent works in second, does anyone know if it works in a higher gear?

I preume that in second it works at higher speeds, it felt like it did, but it was too slippy to find out, as I daren't take my eyes of the road

Post #36253 4th Feb 2009 11:38 am
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The following is taken from: "Freelander2 Off-road Driving Controls and Instruments. pdf"

should = highlighted by me

If the vehicle is fitted with a manual
transmission, HDC should only be used in first,
or reverse gears. If the vehicle is fitted with an
automatic transmission, HDC should only be
used in D, R, or CommandShift 1. When in D
the vehicle will select the the most appropriate
gear.
Note: HDC is automatically selected by some
of the Terrain Response special programs.

If HDC is selected and the vehicle is within the
operating speed range of up to 35 km/h
(21 mph), the indicator will illuminate
continuously.

If HDC is selected and the vehicle is driven
faster than the operating speed range, the
indicator will flash and the message NO HDC -
SLOW DOWN is displayed. LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #36264 4th Feb 2009 12:36 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I get alot of confidence in the FL2 in the snow! It's fantastic! But I did have a play on an empty car park in the snow last week.

Traction contrl off and 4 wheel drifting! It was very childish and not something I normally do, but it was fun! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #36684 8th Feb 2009 8:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>