« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > JLR to cut back production
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Tigger wrote:

There’s no tax relief to be had by spending cash on a car. if you’ve got the cash spare to do that you could easily be better off taking the tax relief by using it to put regular payments into a pension fund instead. But then, I work with finance agreements for a living and I’m probably more comfortable with turning them to my advantage Thumbs Up

Your points above are very true , especially leveraging AVCs. The only thing that matters with a vehicle at the end of the day is what your overall total cost of ownership is and that has to include the opportunity cost of buy v lease . I do think however it is far too easy for financ houses to lend irresponsibly .

Interestingly the Scooby dealer has a garage full of low mileage Porsche , Aston , etc . The main customers are retired people looking to dispose of cash as at a certain point in life you have to spend it whilst you can enjoy it 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #340366 24th Jan 2018 2:36 pm
Largered

tenet wrote:
I'm In - will end up meaning I'm In the Censored !

You will be if you don't make any provision for your future. Neutral

tenet, I never took out a pension. But what I did do was to work hard and retire at 48, with enough to keep me going into my latter years.
Why 'gamble' with your future, when you can be certain of it !

Too many follow the 'sheep' ..... be a BULL !!

.....but thanks for your concern ..... Whistle

Post #340371 24th Jan 2018 3:13 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Yorky Bob wrote:
So that will be the pension funds you put your money in with charges then, I think we have done that one with Endowment mis-selling . Whistle

I take it that you are aware of the exact levels of charges on these accounts and how up front they are legally obliged to be now?

Post #340373 24th Jan 2018 4:14 pm
Largered

Largered wrote:
I agree. I have always paid for my vehicles ....OUTRIGHT !!

And yes it could well be the next BIG bubble to burst !

Another Bubble to Burst ...... in the very distant future .......... is the current set of youngsters who are putting money away for their pensions ...... under the governments workplace pension ......"I'm In".

I'm In - will end up meaning I'm In the Censored !

.....oh the 'money-makers-scam' I missed is 'equity Release' = NO (or little) inheritance for your kids !!! BEWARE !!!!

Post #340374 24th Jan 2018 4:16 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Tigger wrote:
Yorky Bob wrote:
So that will be the pension funds you put your money in with charges then, I think we have done that one with Endowment mis-selling . Whistle

I take it that you are aware of the exact levels of charges on these accounts and how up front they are legally obliged to be now?

All too late for me to worry about at my age but:
A 1.5% annual charge typically would reduce the size of a pension pot by 34% over a working life, a 0.5% charge would reduce it by 13%. So why would I want to give away 34% to 13% of my pension pot to anyone as no financial adviser is going to grow it by any vast amount, it will grow more with any tax relief and the employer contribution if directly employed. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #340380 24th Jan 2018 4:37 pm
Largered

too many variables ..... too many percentages ...... too much to go wrong .......

Money is KING !!!

Put it in a non-investment account ...... and you don't have to pay tax .... at all !!

I live tax free .........

Post #340381 24th Jan 2018 4:44 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

If you've never had to pay any income tax at all, then you'll be doing better than most of us, but can't imagine how Shocked

Post #340383 24th Jan 2018 4:57 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I think that as the argument is turning to the rights and wrongs of marketing and finance, you are proving that what I said about the lack of focus on engineering and making good products is right.

I lived through the days when we made lots of world class products, then in the 1980s things changed, and I found myself being sent on numerous courses where I was taught that only the perceived quality mattered, and marketing was everything.

This coincided with the stopping of the 'Training Levy' which encouraged the leading firms to run courses for both their own and smaller firm's workers.
And so the downward spiral began, and we started on our journey to become a nation of shopkeepers, rather than suppliers.

The only good news is that the Land Rover brand has been seen by some outside investors to be worth spending some money on, to develop some good cars. The downside is that these investors are multi national, and may think we are an expensive country to manufacture in, especially if we become isolated as well.

The Range Rover is seen as a world class Luxury Car, that is beyond doubt.
The FL2 is a proper off road 4x4, JLR are just trying to mix the two. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #340385 24th Jan 2018 5:03 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Cash is trash at the moment

Post #340386 24th Jan 2018 5:05 pm
Largered

Oh Tigger, I can remember, in the 80's, when I was paying tax at £13,000 a MONTH !

I do pay Road Tax on my vehicles, just to stay legal.

I've paid my dues in the past.

Post #340387 24th Jan 2018 5:06 pm
Yorky Bob

Get some tax paid on this: You may need Facebook account.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/motorsho...-sv-coupe/

https://www.facebook.com/HonestJohnCars/videos/1548170435232564/ FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #340389 24th Jan 2018 5:15 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Yorky Bob wrote:
Tigger wrote:
Yorky Bob wrote:

All too late for me to worry about at my age but:
A 1.5% annual charge typically would reduce the size of a pension pot by 34% over a working life, a 0.5% charge would reduce it by 13%. So why would I want to give away 34% to 13% of my pension pot to anyone as no financial adviser is going to grow it by any vast amount, it will grow more with any tax relief and the employer contribution if directly employed.

What Tigger was alluding to Bob is this . You have £15k in the bank . You are a tax payer at either 20% or 40% who has not crystallised their pension and still has head room in their Life Time Allowance. You can go pay £15 kfor a new runaround and in 3 years you have £6k worth of trade in so the car has cost you 9000. You could lease the same small car for £ 3k a year over 3 years i it has cost you 9000 .

With the £15 Cash you put it into Free Standing AVCs. That buys you £18,750 in your pension pot as a lower rate tax payer so you have a £3750 benefit over using the cash to buy the car after considering the lease cost

. As a higher rate tax payer your £15 grand gets you £25,000 of AVC , so you have made 10k instantly . In instant cash terms you have covered the car lease and made a profit of £1000. Leaving you £10,000 better off than if you had bought the car and ended up with just the residual value 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #340400 24th Jan 2018 6:49 pm
Yorky Bob

I have buried many friends who got nowhere near a pension payout. So we can talk about pension pots and AVC's but you can't beat the Grim Reaper. In the real World around us now many face the choice of just getting by so we with pensions be it small or large need to think how lucky we are I guess. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #340401 24th Jan 2018 6:59 pm
Largered

I consider myself to be blessed. I came from a humble background. True to my values I never elevated myself to the 'money' level of others.
Helped my parents and family and gave, and continue to give to charity.

You don't make money by wasting money, I sill don't pay over the odds because I can, I look for continue to look for bargains.

My FL2 is my toy vehicle.

Post #340402 24th Jan 2018 7:22 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Thanks Martyn, couldn’t have put it better myself Thumbs Up

Post #340405 24th Jan 2018 7:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>