Home > Technical > Towbar identification / rating plate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Towbar identification / rating plate

Hi everyone! New to the forum and its a mine of useful information. Bow down

Just got a 1yr old GS auto and got the dealer to fit a removable towbas plus twin electrics. Everything seems fine (except a bit of groaning/banging from the friction stabiliser which I'm hoping will stop when everything has bedded in). Naturally I'm highly pleased with my choice of vehicle Razz

However, on my Kia Sportage the towbar assembly had a plate which showed (among other things) the permitted noseweight. The Freelander has nothing. I know it is covered in the vehicle handbook, but I have concerns as to whether it is a legal requirement....

What do members Freelander 2s with Land Rover towbars have? Plate or No Plate?

Post #30681 10th Nov 2008 3:02 pm
PJW

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Look underneath the rear bumber and you will see the Land Rover towbar information close to the exhaust pipe but on the underside of the towbar. Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #30682 10th Nov 2008 3:22 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Creaking with friction couplings is an issue with removeable towbars.Take the bracket off grease the fitting surfaces with copper grease and it will be a lot quieter

Post #30684 10th Nov 2008 4:14 pm
PJW

Do not grease the actual towball if using an alko stabiliser it must be clean with all paint removed otherwise you will damage the Stabiliser and have to change the carbon contacts. Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Last edited by PJW on 10th Nov 2008 4:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #30685 10th Nov 2008 4:37 pm
Firestar

PJW: Its a bumber alright - there's nothing there and I've just been out in the rain to check. There really isn't much 'towbar' to fix a plate to, on the Thule Brinkmatic removable version. I expected it to be affixed to the electrical sockets mounting bracketry.... If there is meant to be a plate I'll have words with the dealer.

T: I've got some Copper-eze and will give that a try - the 'manual' says "the cover should be kept dirt and corrosion free on the points of contact" and a picture showing you where to wipe with a rag! [Never had a problem with the removable ball on a Citroen C5 - that also had the sockets on a hinge-up plate so you'd not know a towbar was fitted!]

Post #30686 10th Nov 2008 4:37 pm
Firestar

I know not to grease the ball - but good point for those who don't - like my dealer's workshops..... SAtill I had to remove all the paint / anodising from the ball, too for the Alko stabiliser.

The advice is to grease (lightly, I assume) the contact /attachment points between the removable part of the towbar and the permanently attached bracketry.

Last edited by Firestar on 10th Nov 2008 4:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #30687 10th Nov 2008 4:40 pm
PJW

Firestar, if it is a land rover towbar there should be a plate on the towbar. You have to lie on your back and you will find it on the underside of the towbar as described.

maybe they had it fitted by an approved towbar fitter and not used the official land rover Bar. (Which is a Brink anyway)

Hope this puts your mind at rest Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto with Winter Pack, Stornaway Grey, Ebony, Grey Mirror Caps. Removable towbar with 13 pin Electrics

Post #30688 10th Nov 2008 4:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I don't recall seeing anything on my towbar either, (LR fixed towbar)

Its a little bit covered in mud at the momment, so i will have a look later.

Good to see another Kia Sportage owner trading up to the FL2 Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #30689 10th Nov 2008 4:46 pm
Firestar

I've put two not very good pics of the back/underside of the area where the towbar fits (swan neck removed and plastic cover in place) in my Gallery. It's supposed to be the genuine LR part and was supplied / fitted by the dealer (at least the sockets' caps are embossed "Land Rover").

npinks: and I kept the cargo net, like you Thumbs Up. I'm still looking for suitable snap hook clips to be able to actually use it, though!!

Post #30690 10th Nov 2008 5:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i got some climbing carabiners from eBay for £3.50 inc P&P from hong Kong

They wasn't actually climbing grade quality, or holding cargo net quality either as it only took 3 weeks for them to fall apart Laughing

if they was better quality they would have been great Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #30693 10th Nov 2008 7:54 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Buy a net on ebay approx £5 and either use the whole new net or 'borrow' the hooks from it. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #30694 10th Nov 2008 8:05 pm
ad210358

England 

Hi Firestar,
I have a Brink Detachable fitted which I understand is also supplied to Landrover the only difference Brink on the plate it says Landrover made by Brink and the Brink one does not mention Landrover. Any way the plate is right underneath in between where the Rear Valence ends and the Exhaust Silencer runs you need to look up there and it is riveted to the Tow Bar cross member towards the nearside. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #30695 10th Nov 2008 8:06 pm
Firestar

ad210358 Bow down I salute you! Having grovelled on my tarmac (dry today fortunately) I have found the plate!! Extremely well hidden Shocked

Of course when I looked the sun was up and I couldn't make anyting out on it. But a little Paintshop work on the photos I took enabled me to make out most of the markings. It is a genuine LR Brink!!

Thanks to all for their help - sorry for being a bit dumb when looking under the car previously. I do wonder (if I'm ever stopped for a spot check) how happy Mr Plod is going to be when I tell him where the plate is to be found! Laughing

CG: I was thinking of buying some M4 nickel plated snap hooks from Screwfix (item # 74115 ) to hold down the cargo net. At £2.99 for 10 they seem quite cheap. Have to wait until I need other stuff or I am passing a trade counter though.

Post #30768 11th Nov 2008 5:36 pm
ad210358

England 

Firerstar,
Glad to be of help, it's a shame that CG has not seen the light, if he had a caravan he would have cause to have a towbar and would have known also. Laughing Laughing p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #30782 11th Nov 2008 7:57 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I'm proud of my complete and utter ignorance on this occasion Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #30783 11th Nov 2008 8:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>