Home > General > 'Droning' tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Binnzy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
'Droning' tyres

Afternoon everyone!

Since buying the car a few months ago I had realised the tyres were going to need changing in the not too distant future... Few mm on them when I bought it.

Anyway, the car had started developing a droning noise at motorway speeds and like many forum members I had feared the worst! I was adamant it was mechanical.

Four new Pirelli's later and the car drives like new. Absolutely silent on all different types of roads and surfaces during a weekend away in the Cotswolds - all in 350 mile trip. It was honestly like a new car.

When reading other posts about tyre noise I had always questioned just how noisy a tyre could be... It turns out very!

If anyone is getting nervous about droning/whirring/whatever you want to call it at speed then definitely try your tyres first.

Hopefully a big expense saved, at least for the meantime....!

Post #305592 29th Aug 2016 4:22 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

A nice set of new tyres are always a pleasure. Thumbs Up I suggest that now you have spent those £££ on tyres you get a full computer wheel alignment done. Poor alignment (especially at the rear) can give you tyre drone over time. It would be a shame to get that droning back after a season or two! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #305595 29th Aug 2016 5:02 pm
Binnzy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

A very good suggestion!

Job for the weekend me thinks.

Post #305635 30th Aug 2016 9:26 am
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

The dreaded droning had crept up on me again, particularly on long fast motorway runs. I have had the droning before, but it disappeared when I fitted new tyres so I thought that this time it really would be the diff' as all the tyres have plenty of tread. This morning I went for a computer wheel alignment, the first the car has had in my 5 years of ownership, and the droning has again disappeared! It is so much quieter than before. I warmed up the tyres on a long motorway run and it is like a new car. I would recommend getting an alignment before committing to expensive diff' work. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #306825 15th Sep 2016 12:27 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

wrangler will do that , awful tyres, just fit a 100% road type and its all good, better braking too At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #306835 15th Sep 2016 1:37 pm
exbrat202

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

yes I thought it was bearings as it sounded like a wheel bearing droning, dealer has had it twice and found nothing, they said it was tyres and swapped the fronts to the back, noise has moved so I guess it's those Wranglers, last freely had Michelins so will probably fit those. MY14 TD4 manual XS Orkney grey.

MY11 TD4 Manual XS Lago Grey, privacy glass, rear spoiler, full ebony leather,rear seat entertainment. Gone
2001/51 plate Disco TD5 GS. Gone
95 N Disco TDi300. Gone

Post #307195 19th Sep 2016 5:28 pm
Jock45

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Indus Silver

Got 4 new Avon zx7 fitted today, miles quieter than the wranglers. Had the same issues as above...

Post #307280 20th Sep 2016 7:04 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

My I6 had new GG AT's just before I purchased it . As I've not had the car long I was a little paranoid of any unfamiliar noises. on Holiday last week I've had noises from the front , like a bearing had gone , droning from the rear, making me think the rear diff was on it's way . Also a vibration like the propshaft was out of alignment.
However all these symptoms come and go. Sometimes they are loud, sometimes they vibrate through the peddle. sometimes just a drone. All happen when driving over different road surfaces.
Now, I just happen to have GG AT's on my Freelander 1 Td4. As it's old, has no interior to dampen anything down, has a squeaky roll cage etc, it does tend to vibrate and drone. Just the quirks of the vehicle - or so I thought.
However, I realised all of my symptoms I've got on my I6 are exactly the same as what I have on my Freelander 1. Apart from the roll cage squeeks, all other symptoms come and go depending on the road surface.
Conclusion ? General Grabber AT tyres.
This makes me happy. Why ? Because I now realise the I6 is fine and the Freelander 1 isn't the rattlebox (again roll cage apart) I thought it was. I have a spare set of wheels for my Freelander 1 , unfortunately they also have GG AT's so I will have to live with them for now !

Post #307302 20th Sep 2016 11:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1