« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Is it time to change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black
Is it time to change

Our FL2 2007 has now done 110,000 miles and I am wondering if it is time for a newer model.
But.......
Engine uses no oil between services
I am on original clutch - no signof wear
Everything works - heating in the footwells could be better
Replaced original Battery in March
Repleced AC Compressor at 67,000
I know the cam belt will need to be done and there is always the possibility of the rear diff failing but I will need to find at least £10,000+ with P/X to get a decent 2 to 3 year old equivalent or another £7000 for a similar Hyundai Santa Fe? Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #302262 8th Jul 2016 2:33 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sometimes it's better the devil you know.

Post #302264 8th Jul 2016 2:45 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

sounds like you have a good one, perhaps spending some money on minor refresh to bring it up to date with the newer models is an option.

Change the rear lights and front bumper, a bit of color coding etc - still cheaper than changing car, and with less risk. 

Post #302266 8th Jul 2016 4:19 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

In the UK we are obsessed with " mileage" and the car market over here is based on conning people to change at 3 years with steep depreciation curves and horror story service costs. We are also focused on technology and premium package perception which of course fuel depreciation. In the USA they would happily keep cars running to 200,000 miles and own one for ten or twelve years, taking a long term view on the amortisation of costs and total cost of ownership. Personally I would not "update " the car, it is just dead money if you take an analytical view.

So my view is run it until it drops, a £2 grand repair is what you will lose on a replacement used car the moment it trundles off of the forecourt. That is my current plan with both cars we own. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #302270 8th Jul 2016 5:23 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

There is also an argument that says that newer models have more to go wrong anyway. You can see elsewhere on
this forum problems with electric handbrakes, EGR valves, DPFs etc. on newer models. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #302307 9th Jul 2016 11:08 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Change the Cam Belt and all the fluids in drive trains. Thumbs Up

Sit back and count yer money not wasted on someone else's cast off. Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #302308 9th Jul 2016 11:13 am
The Road Toad

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

Thank you all for your thoughts.
I must admit that the FL2 is such a comfortable car to drive and I agree with our American friend that we do tend to focus on mileage/
When working I had a company Mondeo from new, petrol, and it was changed with 134,000 on the clock but there was nothing wrong with it all, original clutch, used no oil, went like a train and only ever had a new alternator apart from the usual routine maintainace costs.
I have a feeling that my wife will not find the Santa Fe as comfortable and that wil be the decider. Tattoos - Why would you choose to look like the wall of a public toilet?

Post #302318 9th Jul 2016 12:55 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My wife has a very tidy Peugeot 207 56 reg with only 45k miles on it. She saw a Ford Fiesta 09 reg (so 2.5 years younger) costing £5k in a local garage. I looked it up and it has 49k miles and a smaller engine. So for an outlay of about £3.5 - £4k we get a higher mileage, lower spec car but 2.5 years younger. Now explain to me why that's a good deal.... 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #302337 9th Jul 2016 4:44 pm
Shaw Tarse

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

Unless you want to change, stick. SD4 HSE Lux Orkney Grey,Full size spare tyre,Ugly kid glass.

Post #302341 9th Jul 2016 6:51 pm
Dartman the one

England 

The SF has more room but may well rattle more than your 110Kmile FL, the SF looks good on paper but it hasn't the strength of suspension or the electronic gismos of the FL, the stability program is poor, though the similar Kia Sorento is better with more option choices. On the SF I had in 30K miles it had more suspension parts replaced under warranty than OH's Micra CC on the same roads. My OH didn't like and thought that it didn't feel solid, the final straw came when she stopped on the ice covered lane outside the house and it took off backward, it seems that ABS didn't work in reverse lucky to get away with it Sad my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #302342 9th Jul 2016 7:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1