Home > Technical > Oz Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Cambo wrote:
dorsetfreelander wrote:
That aside it can't be worth taking a LR to a country with very few dealers and with little local knowledge plus the expense of shipping parts out there.

You're right, we should stop buying cars made in the UK, supporting manufacturing in countries on the other side of the world, how stupid of us! Rolling Eyes

Just for the record there are six Land Rover dealers in the Melbourne region, plus the national parts warehouse for JLR is located there.

From an enviromental point of view it doent seem to make any sense wasting energy transporting vehicles, en masse, half way around the world when there are vehicles made relatively locally. Just a thought . Jules

Post #302089 6th Jul 2016 10:18 am
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Sorry but I based my earlier comments on the occasional post on this forum from guys in Oz who are having problems getting parts at reasonable prices or service outside of major conurbations. For what it's worth my family's experience in parts of Africa is that support there (unless you have an old Defender) is very patchy or non existent.

We bitch about the price of everything down here. The only things that are cheap here are beef, milk and cars made in Asia. Everything else is cheaper in the UK, US or other parts of the world. It's called the "Australia Tax"

Lightwater wrote:
Considering we sold 17000 Toyota washing machines in May, it is pretty amazing that 1000 luxury cars are sold in the same period from one manufacturer.

The Land Rover side of JLR does pretty well here really, for the population and the prices they charger, Jaguar not so well sad to say...

Lightwater wrote:
My area is knee deep in D4s & RR Sport, not so many Freelanders or DS but quite a few Defenders. But the other day I counted 5 Freelanders on a 1 km walk to the shops which was pretty good. Typically it would be 1 FL2, 5 D4s, 3 RR Sport, 1 FFRR & 2 Defenders all on the move.

I see lots of Evoques out my way, several per day if I'm out and about.

jules wrote:
From an enviromental point of view it doent seem to make any sense wasting energy transporting vehicles, en masse, half way around the world when there are vehicles made relatively locally. Just a thought.

Umm.... there is no locally built equivalent to the Freelander here. Actually there is only one locally built SUV, the Ford Territory, and it's going out of production, along with every other local car in the next 1-2 years. As of 2018 there will be no more cars built in Australia. I might have bought a Territory instead, if it was smaller, more luxurious, and less ugly.

But you could also argue that the shirt on your back, the shoes on your feet, the phone in your pocket, all made in China, are not environmentally friendly either. So it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #302097 6th Jul 2016 11:19 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Well, like your locally made cars, our shirt and shoe manufacturing and just about most other day to day things we used to make in the UK have gone elsewhere.
So a huge amount of stuff gets moved around the globe when it could be made locally - I know why it isnt - it just seems daft from an energy conservation viewpoint.

We do make a lot of weapons in the UK but ironically we're not actually allowed to buy them (Im glad to say). Not that I could afford a Trident nuclear submarine. Jules

Post #302227 8th Jul 2016 12:08 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

jules wrote:
Well, like your locally made cars, our shirt and shoe manufacturing and just about most other day to day things we used to make in the UK have gone elsewhere.

In Sydney one of the last shoe manufacturers, a very small one but very important for the dancing fraternity, has just closed it's doors. Their biggest problem was sourcing raw materials. It was a sad story listening to their story on the radio and will made life very difficult for the end user.

jules wrote:
Not that I could afford a Trident nuclear submarine.

Neither can your country! We have just ordered a dozen subs from France, which we cannot afford! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 8th Jul 2016 12:59 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #302231 8th Jul 2016 12:47 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Cambo wrote:
I might have bought a Territory instead, if it was smaller, more luxurious, and less ugly.

My sister had one and it fell apart. Then bought an Evoque to replace it which has been very good. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #302232 8th Jul 2016 12:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12