Home > Technical > Oz Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
blfarrar

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey
Oz Question

My youngest daughter has accepted a job in Victoria staring in January
If we ship her Freelander 2 there will the radio & sat nav work ?

Are there any things to do here that will help with its WOF check when it gets there ?

Any assistance appreciated
Thanks Have:
Freelander 2 SE...just brilliant
Discovery 3 HSE....the workhorse
Jaguar S Type....now eclipsed by the XF

Post #301786 1st Jul 2016 10:15 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

http://acma.gov.au/webwr/radcomm/frequency...rsp-wc.pdf

Why not just buy a Toyota. That's what my mechanic of 30 years servicing said I should buy...... but I didn't take his advice!

Freelander 2 guide http://www.carsales.com.au/car/landrover/freelander2/

I feel it is far too much of a circus. Once we brought a cubic metre of personal items into Australia from Germany. The transport company was very good and nothing was broken. But our end, it was a nightmare, never again. If we cannot take it on a plane or post it via typical mail or courier we will leave it. The courier company actually said to us that they don't know how the individual copes with the system.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration

If she can use public transport until she can get organised and a feel for things I would do that for a couple of months.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/roadside-assistance.htm

http://www.revscheck.com.au/?utm_source=bi...N%3A%3A%3A

Hopefully the company is organising a property (& paying for it!). If not, here is a start https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/renting Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 2nd Jul 2016 9:55 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #301790 1st Jul 2016 11:34 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green
Re: Oz Question

blfarrar wrote:
My youngest daughter has accepted a job in Victoria staring in January
If we ship her Freelander 2 there will the radio & sat nav work ?

Are there any things to do here that will help with its WOF check when it gets there ?

Any assistance appreciated
Thanks

Not immediately!
You'll need to get the dealer to change a few settings in the CCF which if you talk to Land Rover before importing may do either before you ship or when
It gets here. You'll just need to explain to them where the car is going and they will configure accordingly, namely navigation for Australia, etc.
If not then a member on here in Sydney (Cambo) can assist in making the changes, he's in Sydney. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #301791 2nd Jul 2016 5:07 am
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Don't bother importing it.

It will probably cost you about $8000 or thereabouts to bring it in, that's the shipping, customs, compliance, duties, taxes, etc, etc.

If the speedometer has a Km/h scale under the MPH then there is nothing that actually needs changing to a UK car for it to "work" in Oz, apart from changing the Navigation maps, if it has Nav. Everything else is identical to a local car.

BUT

A personally imported vehicle is worth much, much less here than a locally delivered one. If a local car is $20k, a personal import might be only worth $10k, if anyone will even buy it. Fine if you want to keep the car forever and drive it into the ground, a problem if at some stage you want to sell it.

I personally imported my Jag XJR when I moved back here, so I know this situation very well.

UK cars are notorious for rust and corrosion, especially the undercarriage, people here just don't want them. Especially not a "common" vehicle. If it was a Ferrari F40 or a Jag XJ220 it would be a different story.

If you want to look further into it, talk to these guys www.ironladyimports.com they organised my XJR to come in.

But my advice would be sell the car in the UK, and put the money from the sale, and the $8k it would cost to import it, towards buying one here instead.

If she ever goes home to the UK, the import "home" is going to be much cheaper (UK-built cars don't get import charges when imported back into the UK) and no only that the Aussie car will be in better shape all round. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #301805 2nd Jul 2016 12:37 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

My daughter moved to Sale in Victoria last year (30mins from "90 mile beach") . We visited in Feb.

Everybody seems to have a "Ute" there (all from far east) - lots to choose from , even in a small place like Sale, and they are quite cheap to buy new compared to UK. But secondhand vehicles hold their value well and a 10 year vehicle with 150K Km can command a surprisingly high price.

LRs were few and far - in 3 weeks of driving around southern Victoria probably saw about 10 landrovers - mainly RRs around Melbourne.

Is it really worth shipping the FL2 ? - sell it and get a local vehicle is my advice Jules

Post #301808 2nd Jul 2016 3:23 pm
blfarrar

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey
Guys

Thanks for the very very helpful data
I will check things out very thoroughly..... Have:
Freelander 2 SE...just brilliant
Discovery 3 HSE....the workhorse
Jaguar S Type....now eclipsed by the XF

Post #301813 2nd Jul 2016 7:45 pm
philllip

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

If the company are paying for the relocation then I'd do it - I knew we do that for our staff.

Post #301946 5th Jul 2016 4:33 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I would only do it if the company paid for it to come back as well. I know a lady who is in the US Air Force in the UK and they shipped her LHD BMW X5 over here but they also take them home at the end of the assignment.

That aside it can't be worth taking a LR to a country with very few dealers and with little local knowledge plus the expense of shipping parts out there. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #301970 5th Jul 2016 9:17 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

have a chat with MikeS on RRSport

He moved to Melbourne a couple of years or so ago and took his RRS G4 with him, so might be able to shed some light on the pitfalls etc

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/member-mikes.html Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #301977 5th Jul 2016 9:30 am
Lightwater

dorsetfreelander wrote:
That aside it can't be worth taking a LR to a country with very few dealers and with little local knowledge plus the expense of shipping parts out there.

May 2016 Land Rover sold 990 cars total, including RR Sport 281 & FFRR 46 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #302001 5th Jul 2016 1:47 pm
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
That aside it can't be worth taking a LR to a country with very few dealers and with little local knowledge plus the expense of shipping parts out there.

You're right, we should stop buying cars made in the UK, supporting manufacturing in countries on the other side of the world, how stupid of us! Rolling Eyes

Just for the record there are six Land Rover dealers in the Melbourne region, plus the national parts warehouse for JLR is located there. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #302069 6th Jul 2016 3:40 am
Lightwater

I bought mine new 260 km west of Sydney from a Land Rover dealer! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #302071 6th Jul 2016 6:12 am
Lightwater

Cambo wrote:
You're right, we should stop buying cars made in the UK, supporting manufacturing in countries on the other side of the world, how stupid of us! Rolling Eyes

Land Rover sales in Australia is the only thing that will save them from the brexit debacle! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #302072 6th Jul 2016 6:35 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Sorry but I based my earlier comments on the occasional post on this forum from guys in Oz who are having problems getting parts at reasonable prices or service outside of major conurbations. For what it's worth my family's experience in parts of Africa is that support there (unless you have an old Defender) is very patchy or non existent. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #302080 6th Jul 2016 9:23 am
Lightwater

Considering we sold 17000 Toyota washing machines in May, it is pretty amazing that 1000 luxury cars are sold in the same period from one manufacturer.

My area is knee deep in D4s & RR Sport, not so many Freelanders or DS but quite a few Defenders. But the other day I counted 5 Freelanders on a 1 km walk to the shops which was pretty good. Typically it would be 1 FL2, 5 D4s, 3 RR Sport, 1 FFRR & 2 Defenders all on the move. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #302084 6th Jul 2016 9:42 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>