« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Diesel On Road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Diesel On Road

Coming out of Leeds and pulled off the motorway, up the slip road to the round about, let a car go past and pulled out

Doing about 15-20mph the car nearly went sideways, felt like it was on sheet ice and the dash lighting up with DSC etc Shocked

The FL2 in front also seemed to slow right down too so i guess he was experiencing the same thing

I could see the rainbow of diesel/oil on the road too, when i dropped the kids off at school, a accidental press the boot open button on the fob and went to go shut it, and the back of the car stunk of diesel, took some time to have normal traction too

I actually had switched to GGS on the TR system on the motorway due to the excess water on there

Police called and reported it, which was fun, as the operator was logging it and it kept trying to associate it with another spill at the other side of leeds Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #286412 7th Jan 2016 12:59 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

There was also a parrafin spill on the M5 yesterday and I sat in it for 5 hours, ruined my trousers Rolling with laughter took 11 hours to get from the Midlands back to Devon.
Doesnt take much to create utter chaos.

Post #286421 7th Jan 2016 1:23 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Fuel is really cheap at the minute.. we can afford to "splash out" and drop some on the road..

I wouldnt want to be the next motorbike to hit that patch, Its usually down to HGV's, I worked for Scania for 11 years, the drivers would fill up to the brim, then usually forget to put the cap back on as they put the pump back then drive off, alas, first.. and second.. and probably third roundabout they hit, they turn and diesel comes spilling out..

I dont think most people realise how slippery diesel actually in on tacmac.. I find it MORE slippery that ice even wearing well tredded boots you can easily generate a bum bruise te next day..

Be careful.. Especially you crotch-rocket types MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black
MY2004 Freelander 1 Sport Java Black
MY1986 Defender 90 Stornoway Grey - Fully Rebuilt this Year

Post #286430 7th Jan 2016 3:07 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

My mate wrote off a motorbike and nearly himself on a diesel spill At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #286432 7th Jan 2016 3:18 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Roundabouts near petrol stations are especially dodgy for motorbikes. Few years back diesel was spilt on the road that joins the M25 to the M20, basically a 70mph bend, and a car ended up on its roof. When I got up to the front of the queue and joined the bikers already milling around, I got off my bike and walked to the hard shoulder, there were sections of road where you could barely stand up, really was like walking on ice. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #286433 7th Jan 2016 3:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

well the has since been a post on facebook from the police saying that the sliproad was closed to clean up a spill Smile

and to add to my day, just been back down in to Leeds, gently pulling up at some lights and the ABS was kicking in, obviously thought is there something up with my car, not the roads earlier, then drove on a little further to pull in the the retail park, applied brake, felt it again and the car in fronts back end flew out, so that put my mind at rest Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #286439 7th Jan 2016 4:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #286442 7th Jan 2016 4:53 pm
shiggsy

Looks like that guy had the presence of mind to get on the handbrake, there's an extra set of brake lights come on. 

Post #286457 7th Jan 2016 7:49 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Huh??!?!

I assume you're joking - applying the handbrake doesn't cause any lights to illuminate at the back of your vehicle......

Post #286463 7th Jan 2016 8:07 pm
taztastic

England 

Hazard warning lights come on automatically under heavy braking Thumbs Up

Post #286464 7th Jan 2016 8:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I saw the extra lights too, couldn't work out what they were as brake lights were already on Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #286466 7th Jan 2016 8:19 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Extra lights were already on - those are the tail lights from normal headlights.

It looks as though in their efforts to control the slide, the driver knocked the switch to turn off the headlights as they were flailing with the wheel...

This made it look like they went off as the driver came off the brake pedal.....

EDIT - lights weren't already on - turned on just after video started - and then turned off whilst flailing with the wheel. They're not brake lights - they're tail lights from regular headlights.

Post #286470 7th Jan 2016 9:07 pm
shiggsy

I wasn't joking, Embarassed I have always assumed the handbrake operated the tail lights too, so there you go live and learn.

However, the first set of light that are on are the brake lights as the middle High Level light is illuminated. You can see the same lights come on at when they brake at the next roundabout. 

Post #286472 7th Jan 2016 9:40 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i know vauxhalls have a system that flashes their rear brake lights if its hard enough braking, i think they is similar
to that, the moment the lights come on is the same time as the rear wheels locked up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #286473 7th Jan 2016 9:41 pm
taztastic

England 

From BMW website ...

Quote:
Dynamic braking lights on the BMW
Sudden stops - emergency braking - are not a regular element of everyday driving. But it's precisely at these moments that the fast reactions of drivers behind are most important. Dynamic braking lights are a dual-stage brake light system. In the event of an emergency braking manoeuvre, the dynamic braking lights are switched on in short intervals, and the hazard warning lights are switched on just before the vehicle comes to a standstill, in order to alert following drivers.

Post #286474 7th Jan 2016 9:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>