« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Si4 Range & Fuel Econo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
philllip

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White
Si4 Range & Fuel Econo

Have owned an Si4 for just over year now and its been wonderful.

Except, I have started to notice the fuel tank KM range decrease - could have sworn the 77L tank (70 'useable') used to show 480-500KM for a full tank.

Now i'm getting 380KM.

At the highest official stated fuel econo rate of 13.6 L/100Km (which slightly more than what we get) I would have expected to get 515Kms (70 / 13.6 = 5.14 * 100).

We use premium 98 always.
The car is normally empty, additional accessories only include door & boot kick plates.
It is due a service in march.

Perhaps its recalculating based on 'actual' driving. But we're getting no more than 15... and thats rare.
I've considered a fuel system cleaner.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Post #286291 5th Jan 2016 9:56 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I started using 98 a decade ago because my mechanic said to use it at least every now & then, because it is a cleaner fuel. I've never had any fuel filter issues since only using 98 even with previous car, occasionally 95 when I couldn't get 98.

Almost at 5000 km on mine now all on 98.

Average 14.1 L/100 (4878 km total)
Ave speed 36
Best 10.6 L/100 (still with city driving)
Average trip speed 55
Worst 17.3 L/100 (with very short local trips up around 19L/100)
Average trip speed 30

I put all the trip data on a spreadsheet since getting the car & kept fuel receipts.

Difference to receipts varies a little bit but has averaged itself out.

Lots of hills & stopping due to intersections & traffic in my area. AC on all the time. Car idling while manually opening & closing garage adds a bit to the fuel consumption.

The cost of fuel as a percentage to the cost of the car from my point of view is a mute point. The difference from "poor" to "good" consumption is even less. That's how I see it! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #286295 5th Jan 2016 11:36 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

It annoys the hell out of me that the UK never got the Si4! I have driven one and it was the best Freelander I ever drove!

A good friend of mine is actively looking to import one from Japan or Australia. He has already got his LR dealer on board with servicing and swapping the instrument panel to MPH and updating the sat Nav etc to Europe.

I think he will also need to add the rear fog light, or do you guys have that in Australia? Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #286305 6th Jan 2016 9:20 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Unfortunately the Si4 sales are declining here in Australia, even the current DS Si4 is
On a "Driveaway" campaign due to swelling stocks, diesel is not applicable.
Yes, we have Fog Lamps here. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #286312 6th Jan 2016 10:08 am
Lightwater

Mav71 wrote:
It annoys the hell out of me that the UK never got the Si4! I have driven one and it was the best Freelander I ever drove!

A good friend of mine is actively looking to import one from Japan or Australia. He has already got his LR dealer on board with servicing and swapping the instrument panel to MPH and updating the sat Nav etc to Europe.

I think he will also need to add the rear fog light, or do you guys have that in Australia?

I was basically sold by this review http://www.themotorreport.com.au/57606/201...d-off-road

The Ford 2.0 litre Ecoboost engine is brillant with heaps of torque from around 1700 & takes of like a rocket when needed. Love the auto, don't know why one would ever drive a manual again.

Mine has front & rear fog lights. I was in London in 1976 when you had one of the thickest fogs since WW2. Typical Australian on the top of a London bus, you couldn't see 2 rows of seats in front! Went down to the lower level & could see about 5 metres. Sydney can get some fairly thick fog down to tens of metres. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 6th Jan 2016 5:34 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #286343 6th Jan 2016 5:19 pm
Mav71

Stuartc wrote:
Unfortunately the Si4 sales are declining here in Australia, even the current DS Si4 is
Yes, we have Fog Lamps here.

Is everyone going diesel in OZ then? I think diesel has had its day over here. From what I am seeing in the industry, as soon as the taxation swaps over to NOX emissions, diesels will be hammered. Petrol technology will boom in the next 5-7 years. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #286345 6th Jan 2016 5:33 pm
Mav71

Lightwater wrote:
Mav71 wrote:

I think he will also need to add the rear fog light, or do you guys have that in Australia?

I was basically sold by this review http://www.themotorreport.com.au/57606/201...d-off-road

The Ford 2.0 litre Ecoboost engine is brillant with heaps of torque from around 1700 & takes of like a rocket when needed. Love the auto, don't know why one would ever drive a manual again.

Mine has front & rear fog lights. I was in London in 1975 when you had one of the thickest fogs since WW2. Typical Australian on the top of a London bus, you couldn't see 2 rows of seats in front! Went down to the lower level & cold see about 5 metres. Sydney can get some fairly thick fog down to tens of metres.

A little bit of trivia for you! Did you know that when LR were given the Ecoboost engine, LR kept blowing head gaskets and turbo's because the types of use LR needed, the engine couldn't cope.

So LR developed the engine to their own spec to over come the issues.

Ford then adopted the LR spec engine for the Mondeo and Focus! It isn't a coincidence the the 240ps Focus and Mondeo came out about the same time as the Evoque Si4. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #286346 6th Jan 2016 5:36 pm
Lightwater

Mav71 wrote:
Is everyone going diesel in OZ then? I think diesel has had its day over here. From what I am seeing in the industry, as soon as the taxation swaps over to NOX emissions, diesels will be hammered. Petrol technology will boom in the next 5-7 years.

A good percentage are to save a few dollars only to be spent again with servicing. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #286347 6th Jan 2016 5:36 pm
Lightwater

Mav71 wrote:
A little bit of trivia for you! Did you know that when LR were given the Ecoboost engine, LR kept blowing head gaskets and turbo's because the types of use LR needed, the engine couldn't cope.

So LR developed the engine to their own spec to over come the issues.

Ford then adopted the LR spec engine for the Mondeo and Focus! It isn't a coincidence the the 240ps Focus and Mondeo came out about the same time as the Evoque Si4.

Ford never pushed the Ecoboost engine in the Falcon & most would want to have the 6 cylinder or V8 simply because they are not 4 cylinder! The Falcon died a slow death due to poor marketing with the wrong engine. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #286348 6th Jan 2016 5:45 pm
jlcrompton

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Been watching mighty car mods on youtube, the guys on there i think are from NSW and by the looks of what they are doing at the moment it looks like E85 is the new fuel to try in AUS.
Wish E85 would come here i would love to make my I6 with LPG a tri-fuel car. I6 WITH GAS CONVERSION
HST BODY KIT
OSRAM LED DRIVING FOGS
CARS LOOKING GOOOOD!

Post #286370 6th Jan 2016 9:05 pm
Lightwater

jlcrompton wrote:
E85 is the new fuel to try in AUS.

It's false economy. You get less milage per tank & in the process you could damage the engine. Further more the standard octane fuels especially in Australia are second rate.

With my previous car I actually tested over a lot of tanks of fuel. It was more economical to use 98 and pay the higher price. The extra milage you got paid for the difference in price.

The other benefit is that since using 98 I have never had a fuel problem. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #286379 7th Jan 2016 12:11 am
Stuartc

Mav71 wrote:
Stuartc wrote:
Yes, we have Fog Lamps here.

Is everyone going diesel in OZ then? I think diesel has had its day over here. From what I am seeing in the industry, as soon as the taxation swaps over to NOX emissions, diesels will be hammered. Petrol technology will boom in the next 5-7 years.

Yes and No.
Australia just recorded highest ever record sales for 2015.
Biggest increase is SUV light, medium and large segments.
Small car/light and a few other passenger segments fell.
Hence diesel has been the majority of SUV and 4x4 sales.
But vehicles like the Ford Focus Diesel have been dropped due to bad sales. No body really wants small passenger Diesel.
Diesel is a popular choice here with 4x4 and suv and becoming more popular.
Petrol still king with remaining market though. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #286381 7th Jan 2016 3:09 am
Stuartc

Lightwater wrote:
Mav71 wrote:

A good percentage are to save a few dollars only to be spent again with servicing.

Have to disagree there Lightwater and so does LR, especially as the diesel can
Cover another 10,000 km over its petrol sister b4 requiring a service. You'll agree $/km this is more economical.
My last/first service was just over $500 and that included oil and filter change which I made the dealer do even though they argued it was unnecessary.

MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #286382 7th Jan 2016 5:07 am
Lightwater

Stuartc wrote:
My last/first service was just over $500 and that included oil and filter change which I made the dealer do even though they argued it was unnecessary.

My first service in Nov including expensive oil due to the turbo, checked around the car, sump plug washer $1.95, windscreen washer additive $2.85, Workshop materials $8.80. Total $263.85 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #286387 7th Jan 2016 6:27 am
Stuartc

Wow that's cheap! Wish my dealer would charge that but he has Bugatti to pay for :roll: MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate