« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > And now the air con blower has stopped working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
And now the air con blower has stopped working

After a weak or so sitting on the drive over Xmas my son's FL2 seems to have suffered some sort of heater blower failure so that no matter what position you set anything there is no air flow and the car is constantly steaming up. THESE ARE EASILY THE MOST UNRELIABLE CARS WE HAVE EVER OWNED and will have to go soon. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #286022 3rd Jan 2016 12:37 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Really curious about why you keep buying them

Post #286099 3rd Jan 2016 10:20 pm
dorsetfreelander

OK the history. I originally bought an 08 reg with 65k miles and it was going fine, so my son bought a 10 reg one. After a few months (when mine was just coming to 100k miles) I decided to trade my 08 one for a 60 reg LR approved with 2 years warranty. Then my son's started to have problems with his 10 reg so he traded that in for an 11 reg LR approved with 2 yrs warranty. All was well for about 3 months and then the problems with both cars started. It might look worse because we currently have two in the family but I have lost count of the number of times I have been back to the dealers with these cars.
The dealers are very good and fix the problems, the issue is that it should not be necessary to have to visit the dealer so often. We will be trading them in before the warranties run out and it won't be for a LR product (which are overpriced now anyway). I had company cars for 30 years and never experienced the level of unreliability of the FL2, it's a pity as the car is very good when it's working. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #286102 3rd Jan 2016 11:19 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Interesting

Don't think I'll have mine by those sorts of mileages. I usually swap at 60-70000 miles. At least you get to know the dealers well ! I know mine quite well and not had a major problem yet, apart from leaky brake light. It's quite handy though since they are 2 minutes walk from work and is one of the reasons I went there. I think I may invest in extended warranty at the end of the 3 years though !

Post #286146 4th Jan 2016 3:23 pm
dorsetfreelander

I wouldn't consider owning an FL2 without some sort of extended warranty, I live 37 miles from the dealer so taking it in is a bit of a chore but as I am retired it's no real issue. My car has 65k miles and my son 76k. For my son however, he needs it for work so it's a real problem. He is currently looking at leasing options on Mitsubishi L200 or Toyota Hilux both of which are a lot cheaper and more practical than anything in the LR lineup. I am doing a similar exercise on non LR vehicles. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #286147 4th Jan 2016 3:39 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Bye Bye!

You have been very very unlucky, or your doing something to them that others are not. The number of Freelander 2's in our circle of Family and friends has now increased to 9.

Non have had issues. In General, the Freelander 2 is the most reliable car that JLR have built. I'd also question where your dealer is sourcing their 'approved' cars. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #286161 4th Jan 2016 5:39 pm
dorsetfreelander

Cars originally sold by the same dealer and with full LR service history. We have experienced a complete range of faults ranging from gearboxes, diffs, bearings, xfer box, exhaust sensors , washer stalks, 2011 hesitation issues, throttle bodies, boot lock, half shaft .... I could go on. Is this reasonable? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #286176 4th Jan 2016 6:46 pm
Mav71

No it isnt reasonable, but you do appear to have more problems than anyone else on every car. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #286221 5th Jan 2016 11:57 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

after 5 years Landrovers begin to self destruct, it has always been that way and always will be.

if you don't have a warranty you need deep pockets Laughing

Iain

Post #286274 5th Jan 2016 8:21 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

If it doesn't break down its not a Land Rover gents Rolling with laughter

On a serious note LRs are a lot more reliable nowadays well in contrast to 20 years ago! We still have some 2002 models knocking around (owned from new) and nothing major has gone wrong (touchwood) We never buy second hand as certain cars could have been broken in the wrong way and had an abused early life.

Off Topic Appreciate this does not affect the freelander but the most common EAS problems are leaking, dry rotted air bags, and damaged height sensors. The bags begin to leak at 100,000 miles or after 6 years. The height sensors get damaged by winter salt and the plastic housings easily crack. We have replaced a few air suspension systems on the P38A L322,D2, D3 none on a D4 yet. We normally get 9 to 10 years service life which is excellent and exceeds the 6 year lifespan. Jump on a forum and people are quick to slate Land Rovers air suspension that fails! Rolling Eyes Most of these cars however are 6 years or older. Some free advice always replace with genuine parts as the air suspension is nothing to scrimp on it is the vehicles handling that your are playing with!

BUT CHEAP YOU PAY TWICE Wink MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #286277 5th Jan 2016 8:35 pm
Mav71

iain cooper wrote:
after 5 years Landrovers begin to self destruct, it has always been that way and always will be.

if you don't have a warranty you need deep pockets Laughing

Iain

I totally disagree. All manufacturers have good and bad cars. If you have a reliable car, it is unlikely to suddenly screw up. This may be the case on older Land Rovers but not the modern cars

I went to see the guy who bought my old FL2 nearly 2 1/2 years ago and he has not had one issue with it. She is on nearly 90,000 miles now but all is still well. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #286307 6th Jan 2016 9:28 am
dorsetfreelander

My son bit the bullet this weekend and did a deal on a Mitsubishi L200 Warrier demonstrator 3k miles 6 months old. 5 year warranty, leather seats, sat nav, reversing camera, all the toys inc 3 yr service package all in about £25k. It's got several off road modes and Hi/lo ratio. It will be interesting to get his feedback, he always thought that the FL2 was very good off road and he drives on farms and ordinary roads for work. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #286693 10th Jan 2016 12:33 pm
dorsetfreelander

Update on air con

It has started to work again, over the last couple of days the functions have slowly returned and it has gone from having no blower at all to full climate control with all functions working. It's not sudden which would point to a hard fault, sounds more like software issue. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #286729 10th Jan 2016 7:54 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

damp in a multi plug? or in controller itself? check the air con drain is correct.

We were discussing the other day about the BMW that I helped rescue from the floods the damp carpets steam the windows up all the time, vax type vacuum cleaner? bags of rice in car to soak up moisture? or cat litter wood pellets? needs some help in this climate. the car is worth £300 approx so new carpets etc arnt feasible, S reg 170,000 miles At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #286730 10th Jan 2016 8:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1