Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Need help finding accessory power - quickly please!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
KAV

Need help finding accessory power - quickly please!

I am in the process of installing a sony navi system thanks to posts from this site. I have the center console take apart and the storage box out to do some minor work but I don't know where best to tap into into an ignition power source and ground. I would really prefer to stay within reach of the center console which I already have taken apart.

I thought about the door unlock/lock or hazards but they both work when the ignition is off..

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Post #28458 3rd Oct 2008 10:47 pm
KAV

I ended up taping into a switched power source that fed the terrain response system. It wasn't my first choice but I got frustrated and took the first one I found. Seems to be working well.

Post #28463 4th Oct 2008 3:12 am
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

If you are doing it again, a few people used the cigarette lighter, the front one is switched.

Rich

Post #28470 4th Oct 2008 11:01 am
Neil

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I took mine of the front cigar lighter as this is ignition fed, and also fused.

Post #28471 4th Oct 2008 11:33 am
KAV

So today I found out that the switched accessory I used will cut off when it is daylight outside.

So, I'd like to use the front lighter socket as has been suggested but it is so tight that I can't really access this easily even after removing the shifter surround. Any suggestions on how best to do this?

Thanks.

Post #28484 4th Oct 2008 8:22 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Just make sure if you are using the sony sat nav it needs to run at 5.3volts so dont just cut the accessory plug off and hard wire it in as it will then have a 12volt supply which cause the unit to overheat, i had a new accessory socket fitted and hidden behind the radio unit.Don't forget there is a fuse board in the passenger foot well to find a supply feed if needed. Wink Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #28485 4th Oct 2008 8:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KAV

I am using a sony satnav system. I just bought an adaptor and which plugs onto the cigarette lighter source for the sat nav. Then it gives you a power and ground wire.

Any suggestions on how to get at the lighter wires?

Post #28498 5th Oct 2008 6:32 am
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

All i know the guy who done mine fitted an accessory point behind the radio somewhere then feed the wire though the little hole which is under the rubber mat where the sat nav sits he also fitted my parrot bluetooth so not sure what feed he used but could well be the one that end up at the accessory socket near gear stick.why can you not find a fuse in the footwell to use.??? Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #28499 5th Oct 2008 7:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Neil

I unclipped the gear knob surround, unplugged the terrain switch and pulled it out of the way. Its very tight but you can just get to the base of the socket - I got a cigar socket extension lead and connected with spade terminals in-line to the existing socket and tucked under the console trim in the footwell. Then simply plug in the sat nav cirag plug.

Post #28502 5th Oct 2008 9:46 am
KAV

Again thanks for the reponses.

I tried today to get at the Cigarette lighter plug and it is just too tight.
I did as described and removed the shifter surround and unplugged the terrain response, but I could not fit my hands in this small space. Any other advice on how to access this area??

Post #28559 6th Oct 2008 4:49 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

I did it on mine but it was Censored difficult! I ended up having to remove most of the console right back to the back seats. I was hoping to get a lottle slack on the cable, but there is literally none. You can unplug the loom that connects to the front accessory socket from just where the rear seat audio controls are, but the stretch from there forward is tied to the console.

The way I did it in the end was to take the console part almost off which gave me just enough room to get my hands in to get tome scotch locks in there. Bit of a Censored though. it's def the best one to tap off though for 12v.. I connected another accessorcy socket underneath the console near the gearshift linkage and plugged my TomTom cig lighter plug in that, and wired it around behind the leg airbag up to the right hand side of the dash. Nightmare! Confused Worth it though. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #28560 6th Oct 2008 5:19 pm
KAV

Are there instructions somewhere on how to disassemble the console between the two seats?

Post #28561 6th Oct 2008 5:23 pm
Neil

I know its very tight... I managed to get my fingers in and unplug the lead on the base of the lighter. Then squeezed in again and fitted the lead I had made up. Probably took an hour of fiddling and would probably take the whole console out next time!

Post #28571 6th Oct 2008 6:57 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

KAV wrote:
Are there instructions somewhere on how to disassemble the console between the two seats?

Try this

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extfree...0UK%20.pdf 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #28572 6th Oct 2008 7:13 pm
KAV

Thank you! I got it!

It was a royal pain in the ass but I ended up using the tips here to slide the center console back far enough to fit my gorilla hands in there to do the job. Only broke one part too.. Wink

Post #28610 7th Oct 2008 7:20 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1