Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LR dealer auto glym life shine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

There are many ways to wash a car & some true detailers will criticise my below method but this method is for those who either don't have a controlled envioroment, all day to wash a car etc. In other words the real world!!

A Pressure Washer is fine. To keep a good shine on a car you need to use proper car shampoo in a normal bucket, Some do a 2 bucket method as in one with clean water to rinse out the wash implement.
The wash implement ideally needs to be a microfiber wash pad or a decent mitt. Traditional sponges are old hat now & will scratch

Blast off as much loose dirt & grit with the pressure washer then go ahead with your washing technique. I would start at the top & work down as there is less dirt at the top to contaminate the pad though the Autoglym Trained way is bottom up.
Using a proper shampoo will instill a light layer of wax on the car.
I would use a different pad for wheels & door shuts or use a desireable brush. You can use the TFR (traffic Film Remover) on areas like wheels & shuts but not on hot wheels. TFR WILL remove all waxes etc. Dry in your usual way but the less contact with the car the better.

Those nasty cheap drive in places will greet you as you pull on their forecourt with a large container full of cheap TFR or worse. Attatched to that container is a wand spray spraying it all over your wheels & paint. You should not put this on dry paint as it will/can stain/bleach the paint. You should not apply to those hot wheels either for the same reason. In fact TFR should only really be used on main body to remove all film/wax/polish etc prior to polishing the car. It has been known that some of these places use brick acid so you can imagine what that does to painted etc wheels & rubbers.

The soap these places have in their big vats is often a TFR mix. Then there is the method in which they use as in grat big mits that get chucked into the wash vat if you are lucky, if not it lands on the dirty ground. It may well have also just been used to get loads of dirt of the previous car so full of grit etc. I need not say more as I am sure you see where I am coming from. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #281689 19th Nov 2015 3:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hippo

United Kingdom 

Is the life shine a liquid they rub on the paintwork a bit like wax/polish? In lay mans terms an additional layer of wax or having the effect, but considered to be a bit more permanent. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #281701 19th Nov 2015 6:32 pm
Spatch

England 

The Valeter wrote:
There are many ways to wash a car & some true detailers will criticise my below method but this method is for those who either don't have a controlled envioroment, all day to wash a car etc. In other words the real world!!

A Pressure Washer is fine. To keep a good shine on a car you need to use proper car shampoo in a normal bucket, Some do a 2 bucket method as in one with clean water to rinse out the wash implement.
The wash implement ideally needs to be a microfiber wash pad or a decent mitt. Traditional sponges are old hat now & will scratch

Blast off as much loose dirt & grit with the pressure washer then go ahead with your washing technique. I would start at the top & work down as there is less dirt at the top to contaminate the pad though the Autoglym Trained way is bottom up.
I would use a different pad for wheels & door shuts or use a desireable brush. You can use the TFR (traffic Film Remover) on areas like wheels & shuts but not on hot wheels. TFR WILL remove all waxes etc. Dry in your usual way but the less contact with the car the better.

Those nasty cheap drive in places will greet you as you pull on their forecourt with a large container full of cheap TFR or worse. Attatched to that container is a wand spray spraying it all over your wheels & paint. You should not put this on dry paint as it will/can stain/bleach the paint. You should not apply to those hot wheels either for the same reason. In fact TFR should only really be used on main body to remove all film/wax/polish etc prior to polishing the car. It has been known that some of these places use brick acid so you can imagine what that does to painted etc wheels & rubbers.

The soap these places have in their big vats is often a TFR mix. Then there is the method in which they use as in grat big mits that get chucked into the wash vat if you are lucky, if not it lands on the dirty ground. It may well have also just been used to get loads of dirt of the previous car so full of grit etc. I need not say more as I am sure you see where I am coming from.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. That is basically what I do so I am happy.

Cheers
Mark

Post #281703 19th Nov 2015 7:15 pm
Spatch

England 

Hippo wrote:
Is the life shine a liquid they rub on the paintwork a bit like wax/polish? In lay mans terms an additional layer of wax or having the effect, but considered to be a bit more permanent.

It is a clear liquid that you just apply to the paint. Wait for it to dry (but not too dry) then buff off. Very easy.

Post #281704 19th Nov 2015 7:16 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Pretty much yes but I do know the NEW Lifeshine is completely re formulated so I am not sure of the way this is applied as it could be one panel at a time. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #282065 23rd Nov 2015 9:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The Valeter wrote:
I would start at the top & work down as there is less dirt at the top to contaminate the pad though the Autoglym Trained way is bottom up.

Decades ago I read somewhere on expensive cars they use 3 separate cleaning pads, 1 for top, second more middle & third for lower bits. One can relegate the cleaning pads to a lower order after each wash or so. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #282093 24th Nov 2015 3:04 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

The Valeter wrote:

The soap these places have in their big vats is often a TFR mix. Then there is the method in which they use as in grat big mits that get chucked into the wash vat if you are lucky, if not it lands on the dirty ground. It may well have also just been used to get loads of dirt of the previous car so full of grit etc. I need not say more as I am sure you see where I am coming from.

I would listen to the above, I have seen some of his cars, and they look amazing. 

Post #282100 24th Nov 2015 9:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12