Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Advice for prospective FL2 owner?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
VBT

United Kingdom 
Advice for prospective FL2 owner?

Hi,

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post.

We've previously owned a Discovery but have been car-less for the past 4 or 5 years. We're currently looking for a second hand FL2. After doing some research we think we've settled on an XS or HSE model, although the GS ones seem to be popular too. Is the spec a lot better on the XS and HSE or would people recommend we look at the GS too? Advice we've had so far is to steer clear of the S model as its a little basic.

The model we're currently looking at is the Land Rover FREELANDER 2 2.2 Td4 XS 5dr. We have seen a few of these on AutoTrader but I wondered what people thought about mileage and price differences? The ones we're looking at are mostly 2007 models (except 1) and all have full service histories and long MOTs.

£7995 - 88,000 miles (includes 6 months warranty)
    £7995 - 95,000 miles (Upgraded to front and rear parking sensors, Half leather upholstery in black and dark blue, Blue tooth telephone connection, Electric driver and passenger seats plus 6 months warranty).
    £7650 - 99,000 - (2008 model, extras - FULL LEATHER, HEATED SEATS, PARKING SENSORS., Upgrades - Leather Steering Wheel, Heated Front Seats, Leather Pack)
    £7495 - 119,000 miles
    £5580 - 138,000

The last one has the best condition interior, is in a colour we like, and is the best price but obviously the mileage is high. It was registered 29 June 2007 and has been averaging about 17k miles a year since. Are we crazy considering a car with such a high mileage? I read that the next LR service at 150,000miles is about £950 inc VAT and that the cam belt, tensioner and idler pulley will need to be replaced then - does this sound right to people? If so then I thought I could try and negotiate with the seller to knock that off the price. Would that make it an acceptable deal or should we try and scrape together an extra £2k and save ourselves the trouble?

By comparison there's also a Land Rover FREELANDER 2 2.2 Td4 GS 5dr with 130,000 on there for £5890 which says it has 'FSH including recent cam belt' although not clear if this is replacement of it, or a service of it.

I should mention that we won't be driving it during the week, and that our future mileage will be reasonably low, 5-8,000 per year probably.

Very grateful for any advice people might have.

Thanks

Post #281837 21st Nov 2015 4:05 pm
Kevin56

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Any car you buy with 140000 miles and 8 years old is going to need some attention soon, and probably not just routine servicing. On a normal car, this may not be so bad, but let's face it land rover bits aren't cheap. Unless you're a do it yourself mechanic, then I'd steer clear of the high miler.

The one with the extra spec and 99000 miles sound like a good compromise of age, mileage, price and specification. Whichever one you buy, make sure it drives faultlessly, with no clouds of smoke and with no strange rumbling or whining noises!

Post #281841 21st Nov 2015 5:29 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

once you hit the 100,000mls mark mileage doesn't matter.

you need to look at the overall condition, history, etc

personally I would go for an HSE as I had one and would recommend it.

Iain

Post #281844 21st Nov 2015 6:06 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Cam belt, idler and tensioner is about £350 inc labour at an indie with genuine parts.
I have a 2007 HSE as I wanted all the extras like sun roof, etc. Horses for courses, but I would recommend not rushing in especially as you haven't had a car for a while, take time to look around and remember that with any vehicle something can always go wrong. I would factor this in to your budget, the upkeep is going to be higher due to the type, age, mileage and size of vehicle, do your sums and plan for the unexpected as far as you can. When I bought mine it had relatively low mileage, but I made allowance for things to go wrong, I have a two year warranty but not sure if you can get one with those cars on your list? If you can get a warranty just be mindful that they don't cover everything and may try to wriggle out of paying. I have spent more money on mine with a second set of wheels and various bits and bobs. I would change all the fluids when you get one, in my opinion this is why so many have diff or haldex problems due to low or old fluid. Don't just go on the recommended maintenance schedule.
The thing is, you end up falling in love and we all know how expensive that can be!

Post #281846 21st Nov 2015 6:52 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I agree with RichP-if your budget allows buy a HSE. I started with an S and had it for 2 years-in truth I couldn't fault it. I then switched to a HSE auto which felt like a different car to travel in-panoramic sunroof and leather seats makes a huge difference! I now have a HSE manual which is my choice of the three I have owned. I didn't get on with the auto at all (I drive mainly in the countryside)-it could never make it's mind up as to which gear it should be in which became extremely irritating. In truth, I think you will enjoy any FL2 though-great to drive, comfortable and a bit different from the mainstream euroboxes!

Post #281865 21st Nov 2015 10:42 pm
VBT

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone - that's all really helpful advice. I'm going to keep looking around and hopefully find one that suits!

Post #282036 23rd Nov 2015 7:21 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Don't forget there is also the SE.

Post #282040 23rd Nov 2015 7:31 pm
Mtb154

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I'm a new Freelander 2 owner and so far I love it, I got a 2007 (57) xs with black and blue half leather elec seats, bluetooth stereo ect. I paid £6200 for it and I was given £1500 off that price px for my subaru forester. It had 133k miles but was one owner from new with full history and this year has had a new rear diff, clutch and flywheel, battery and new discs and pads all round ( with reciepts) so feel I got it for a good price. I did have a full service on it when I bought it to satisfy myself that it was all ok and the report back was it was faultless apart from the rear wiper blade that had seized ( squirter of wd40 and as good as new). I have done around a 1000 miles so far and it developed a fault with the fuel gauge dropping to zero and back up again which seems like a common fault after searching on here. It is going in on Wednesday to be sorted and is being paid for by the trader I got it off. Need some snow now to try it properly.

Post #283521 5th Dec 2015 8:01 pm
Mtb154

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I have also added the roof spoiler, wind deflectors and new wheelarch rubbers.

Click image to enlarge

Post #283522 5th Dec 2015 8:02 pm
eddiekol

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Lovely motor. Thumbs Up Enjoy.

Post #283527 5th Dec 2015 8:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1