« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > LR dealer auto glym life shine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Hippo

United Kingdom 
LR dealer auto glym life shine

I was told by a dealer today they can apply autoglym life shine to a Freelander 2 which ensures it keeps it's shine. They also protect inside too - assume this is seats and carpet. They said it has a warranty (of some sort) and they will top it up if you feel it's lost it's shine in years to come. Before mentioning the price is this something Freelander 2 owners have applied? Perhaps only D4 and RR owners with too much money or is it a bit of a scam... If the FL2 is purchased the plan is to keep it long term.

Price is £ three nine nine. Shocked

edit: name corrected in title + text Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Last edited by Hippo on 19th Nov 2015 12:12 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #281594 18th Nov 2015 7:01 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I didn't take it on the current car, but maybe I should have - the black finish seems to scratch very easily. Mind you I don't know how much protection it would give. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #281595 18th Nov 2015 7:03 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

They wanted £300 to do it for me, well they added it to the bill hoping i didnt notice i think, but i did when i checked the totals haha, i said i could buy a gallon of Autoglym for that and do it myself.
Besides how do you know its been done, done properly and did they just use the ordinary stuff instead, unless you do it or watch them do you dont know do you?

Post #281596 18th Nov 2015 7:16 pm
gavinEd

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Polish to correct, wax to protect. Not a fan of shortcuts, needs to be done properly and regularly.

Post #281599 18th Nov 2015 7:43 pm
lukev01

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

You can buy the "Superguard" kit off eBay for about £12 and this is the same stuff most dealers use, to do the seats and give the outside a good polish.

Post #281611 18th Nov 2015 8:37 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

£399 will buy quite an arsenal of cleaning goodies .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (Now gone)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S (Gone,but what a car)
2020 Ford Fiesta ActiveX 1.0 Ecoboost
2024 Skoda Kodiaq 1.5 Tsi SEL

Post #281621 18th Nov 2015 9:33 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

The old saying if your want a job done properly then do it yourself! LR dealers are not detailers! What's to say your it will not be applied by an 18 year old young adult who will spend more time checking their smart phone on the sly Whistle MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #281622 18th Nov 2015 9:35 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Being a valeter myself and one that applies these type of coatings I can say that in most cases I would not have any dealer even wash my car let alone apply a professional coating. These applications are good but only if applied properly and in my experience this is very rare for the majority of dealers (all manufacturers) to do this usually due to time constraints but the fact that the so called valeters get paid so little extra to do this they often don't as the car looks all shiney etc so no one is none the wiser.
When I do one of these applications I book the car for the day, may not take all day but I do this so I am not rushed. I have been applying these products since 2003.

Regarding buying similar products on the internet, well some may be new if you are lucky, the rest will most likely have been used on a customers car at the dealer then the rest taken home & sold on ebay. There will be NO Warranty & if an ad says there is it will most likely be a photocopy. Either way it will be useless as you have to be an authorised retailer to register it.

The Autoglym product is called - Lifeshine. It has a Lifetime warranty was a 10 year warranty but Diamondbrite introduced a Lifetime so I guess Autoglym followed suit. That is lifetime as long as you own the car.
Never heard of a free top up before if shine wears off!! Which will be the case especially if the car is taken to a local hand car wash!!!! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #281623 18th Nov 2015 9:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I have it on good authority, that there were a lot of "Paint Protection" things sold onto new/nearly new cars

The techs would put the kits into the car for the valeters. The valeters would take it out the car, and more than a few were out on eBay. I even bought one, unknowingly at the time...

Post #281628 18th Nov 2015 9:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

The life shine was applied to mine when new. For the exterior it lost it's shine after a few months, so that bit was crap. For the interior it is great, everything wipes off the ivory leather, crap, puke, denim, everything. If you have kids get the life shine just for the interior protection, this has lasted over a year now. Takes 5 minutes to return interior to new again.

Post #281631 18th Nov 2015 10:22 pm
Hippo

United Kingdom 

Wise and honest comments as always for which I'm grateful.

I have to confess a slight moment of madness when considering the offer. When I asked him to confirm the product name later on in the conversation he said I would probably be able to look it up on the web to find out more about it. He said if I choose to purchase the vehicle I would be offered a list of insurance extra's but could turn them down. Wheel cover, chip cover, tyre cover... I think he was hinting I should look up the product. He did say if purchasing an expensive vehicle I should at least consider it. So he's ticked the sale box as well as openly giving me the choice so there's no pressure. The comments above confirm the thoughts I was having so it's not something I will go for. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #281635 19th Nov 2015 12:07 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

If he said or suggested looking it up on the internet to find out about it says it all - that he/she/whoever knows nothing about the product other than it is profit for the dealer!

A decent professional valeter would be a good choice. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #281656 19th Nov 2015 10:18 am
Bubbles

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

Just like all the insurance products offered by the dealers (chip protect, wheel,tyre,GAP etc etc) you will be able to get better products elsewhere for less money - probably more than half the cost they charge will be commission anyway - certainly the case on GAP insurance!

I like to keep a bit of dirt and muck on my car anyway - people don't park so close if they think they will get covered in Censored if they brush up against the painwork Twisted Evil FL No 1 - 2012 (MY2011) XS manual Firenze Red - Gone
FL No 2 - 2012 (MY2012) XS manual Barolo Black - SWMBO wanted one too!
FL No 3 -2013 XS SD4 Auto Santorini Black
Series III SWB Hardtop - long gone
110 CSW V8 - long gone
Discovery 1 200Tdi - long gone

Post #281657 19th Nov 2015 10:31 am
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

All Land Rovers look better with a bit of carefully-applied mud! Life's too short for shiny cars. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #281666 19th Nov 2015 11:29 am
Spatch

England 

The Valeter wrote:
Never heard of a free top up before if shine wears off!! Which will be the case especially if the car is taken to a local hand car wash!!!!

Valeter, you say that the product would wear off if taken to a hand car wash. Is this because they use jet washers, or aggressive cleaning chemicals?

I have Lifeshine applied and I never take to a hand car wash (always do it myself), however, I do use a jet washer to remove the worst of the dirt initially.

Thanks
Mark

Post #281667 19th Nov 2015 11:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>