Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Can you beat this ownership experience ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green
Can you beat this ownership experience ?

Can anyone beat this Question

We bought the Freelander XS 07 model (Mileage 60k) on 14th December 2014. It ‘s an approved used car and we travelled to Cornwall to buy it (nearly a 600 mile round trip). We bought it on the Friday and the following Tuseday it was in for repair and not back with us until the middle of January 2015. It has been to 3 different main dealers one of which was the supplying dealer in Cornwall.
To date we have done less than 4000 miles and in that time it has been for repair 6 times and had replaced either FOC or under warranty the following parts:

Brake Pads and Disk all round and handbrake shoes.
No 3 injector and the injector return pipe that connects to all of them.
Battery
Glow Plugs
Inlet Manifold and variable inlet flap actuator
High Pressure power steering pipe.
Camshaft position sensor
EGR valve
Turbo

We pick it up tomorrow from the latest repair (EGR & Turbo) Whilst this has been a total pain in the butt I am so glad we paid the extra £600 to put an additional years warranty on it .

Would we have another FL2, I don’t know ? the warranty is still good until June next year so will keep it until then at least . One dealer has been total Censored rubbish, the other two , one of which is the supplying one, have been very good. JLR have been very good and by way of compensation are going to pay in full for it’s next service in December. We have also been given equivalent or better loan cars each time.

I urge anyone buying an approved used FL2 to take out the extended warranty.

Ian. Milestone

Post #279771 29th Oct 2015 3:48 pm
ghawk2005

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Beautiful cars!!! Worth every penny.

Post #279784 29th Oct 2015 5:29 pm
WGG1848

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

That sounds horrendous.
What has the service and MOT history thrown up? One Discovery, gone
Now on third Freelander 2
2013 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Post #279785 29th Oct 2015 5:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

22 visits to the dealer in 2.5 years with my first FL2

Now on FL2.3 part of LandRover ownership, it's in the smal print that it will cost you money Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #279790 29th Oct 2015 6:01 pm
Dartman the one

England 

That is not really that bad, there are many 4x4 cars that have the same problems on their 5 and 7 year warranty's normally about 30000 miles and the same again 30000 miles later when the warranty has run out, some have suspension and brake problems as low as 15000 miles. 4 x 4 or AWD cars are expensive to run as they are complex, if you want a cheap car to run after warranty there are a few Fiestas on the forecourts. Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #279794 29th Oct 2015 7:07 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

Did you purchase it private or from Roger Young Land Rover. Rolling Eyes

Last time I Looked to buy a discovery 2 from cornwall it had severe corrosion of the chassis as if it frequently launched a Boat in Salt water. The Discovery had only 46,000 on a late 2003 plate and was advertised as one carful owner.

Post #279796 29th Oct 2015 7:12 pm
Milothedog

Dartman the one wrote:
That is not really that bad, there are many 4x4 cars that have the same problems on their 5 and 7 year warranty's normally about 30000 miles and the same again 30000 miles later when the warranty has run out, some have suspension and brake problems as low as 15000 miles. 4 x 4 or AWD cars are expensive to run as they are complex, if you want a cheap car to run after warranty there are a few Fiestas on the forecourts. Laughing

How can you say that Question Landrover market their cars as the most capable 4X4 by far. The approved used website big's up how good your used car will be which is why you pay top dollar for it.

The only saving grace is they have stood by the car and done the right thing.

Ian.

Post #279798 29th Oct 2015 7:34 pm
Milothedog

turboextreme wrote:
Did you purchase it private or from Roger Young Land Rover. Rolling Eyes

Last time I Looked to buy a discovery 2 from cornwall it had severe corrosion of the chassis as if it frequently launched a Boat in Salt water. The Discovery had only 46,000 on a late 2003 plate and was advertised as one carful owner.

The car came from Carrs Landrover.

Post #279800 29th Oct 2015 7:39 pm
Milothedog

WGG1848 wrote:
That sounds horrendous.
What has the service and MOT history thrown up?

Car has a FSH, just a built on Friday car I think Very Happy

Post #279801 29th Oct 2015 7:50 pm
cqr

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I got mine from beadles landrover Maidstone at 43000
It's now got 73000 it's had two new keys, and that's the only problems I've had that I did not deserve Rolling with laughter
I beat the Censored out of mine Rolling with laughter 2008 xs
Snorkel
raised axle/gearbox breathers
Mantec tank guard
Cb radio
Blanked EGR
Sump guard
Scratches
Snolkle

Last edited by cqr on 30th Oct 2015 7:30 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #279807 29th Oct 2015 8:45 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Milothedog wrote:
Dartman the one wrote:
That is not really that bad, there are many 4x4 cars that have the same problems on their 5 and 7 year warranty's normally about 30000 miles and the same again 30000 miles later when the warranty has run out, some have suspension and brake problems as low as 15000 miles. 4 x 4 or AWD cars are expensive to run as they are complex, if you want a cheap car to run after warranty there are a few Fiestas on the forecourts. Laughing

How can you say that Question Landrover market their cars as the most capable 4X4 by far. The approved used website big's up how good your used car will be which is why you pay top dollar for it.

The only saving grace is they have stood by the car and done the right thing.

Ian.

Quite easily, they are capable, but LR never claim to be more reliable, though they do seem to be fairly helpful in after warranty contributions, there again there's always is the sale of goods act, so possible the contributions help out the dealer who is actually liable. Just check other 4x4/AWD manufacturers and owners forum sites, the Freeely is pretty good regarding defects and dealer satisfaction, you also don't find the manufacturers customer service department on the forums with a dedicated employee. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #279814 29th Oct 2015 10:04 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

And yet, we bought the wife a 2010 Freelander 2 essentially seen from auction for £6k.

Needed a service, rear brakes unseized and a wheel bearing. Other than that, it has behaved beautifully.

More than can be said for my Disco 3 Evil or Very Mad

Post #279820 29th Oct 2015 10:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Can you beat this ownership experience ?

Ian,
We bought my wife's FL2 2.2 TD4 (58 plate), around 3 years ago with 63k on the clock with full fsh, then came with 6 months land rovers select used warranty. First fault, wheel bearing. Warranty wouldn't pay for it, as it wasn't an mot failure. Second fault, new battery, again warranty wouldn't pay. Other out of warranty repairs so far:- Front & back set of pads & discs. Rear brake calliper, due to seizure. Throttle body motor. 3 fuel filters out of service schedule, due to them blocking. Rear dif pinion repair (ouch). keyfob. High level brake cluster repair. Then usual servicing, tyres & wiper blades. Only 25k covered since buying it. Has been a money pit.
Would I/we have another. Prob not. Landy has now gone.

Post #279827 30th Oct 2015 12:28 am
Milothedog

Hi Boroboy,

I only really posted this to highlight to others the need to take out the best warranty you can afford.

The car was bought as a second car and after thinking about it we decided that we weren't worried about age and more concerned with something that was a known quantity and could just be driven and serviced, hence the approved used route we took and paying top money for it.

Unfortunately for us, it would seem, that this one slipped through the net when it came to meeting the standards and criteria for the scheme and why they have had to replace the brakes and battery FOC which are not covered by the warranty.

Another way to look at it is' we have a nice car that has had a lot of work done at no cost to us and could be over it's problem period now. Like said it's covered by warranty until next June so we'll see what happen's between now and then.

Ian.

Post #279847 30th Oct 2015 10:39 am
ghawk2005

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I totally agree with you Ian and I can highly recommend warranty too. I have never owned a Landy without one. I have had about £2000 of work done for free thanks to extended warranty.

Very worthwhile investment. Some people say 'put the money away into a savings account each month....well this might work, but what happens if you put £50 a month away for 3 months after you bought the car, then a gearbox goes for £4k.... not exactly enough savings etc I'm lucky in the fact that I have emergency savings but not everyone has this luxury. £60 a month warranty but you're instantly covered for major trauma!

Gary

Post #279860 30th Oct 2015 11:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>