« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Take off from standing start Diesel Lag
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

CJB wrote:
So can it be left in sand mode or does this affect normal driving.?

Leaving it in sand mode keeps the Haldex locked to higher speeds and irrespective of steering angle, thus it will cause wind-up increasing wear on your transmission and tyres. So no, best not to leave it in sand mode on grippy surfaces.
Quote:
... but to alter the different modes.. should you stop and select before moving on or can you adjust on the go. Question

Modes can be changed on the move.

Post #261114 20th Apr 2015 12:58 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Personaly I would be very hesitant engaging a "special program" from the terrain response on anything other than slippery/challenging traction conditions. It clearly states in the owners manual to do so "could reduce the life of the suspension and drive systems" end quote.
Only turbo lag I experience is on light throttle from standstill. Heavy acceleration from standstill or rolling there is no notable lag but this may be as I have the variable nozzle/geometry turbo charger.
Your expression of dissapointment in standing start progress sounds like a possible problem as personally I'm amazed at the way my auto accelerates but I have 420nm available whereas manual version don't. If you take the time to read through the forum you"ll discover that the manual version has an attenuation map in the ECU to limit torque to protect the manual box and clutch in first and reverse. You'll also find lots of information that will point you in the right direction to pin point the problem.
But it sounds unusual and I suggest you speak to as many owners whom have the same specification as yourself!

Post #261115 20th Apr 2015 1:00 pm
CJB

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Hey guys.. thats brilliant info.. thanks very much.
I'll go play and let you know. Bow down

Post #261116 20th Apr 2015 1:02 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Also be aware that steering, anti-lock brakes, Gradient Release Control System, Hill Descent Control and Dynamic Stability Control are all affected by selection of a "special program" so by doing so on normal driving conditions may not be ideal or preferable.

Post #261120 20th Apr 2015 1:32 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Is the car a 2011 model by chance? these early facelift TD4s are the ones with the dreaded hesitation problem which is well documented elsewhere on the forum. My dealer said he has three with the problem and LR are not sure how to fix it. . Also be aware that the FL2 has a very low first gear to make up for the lack of low range box, it was the same with the FL1 manual that I had. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #261128 20th Apr 2015 4:01 pm
CJB

pab wrote:
CJB wrote:
So can it be left in sand mode or does this affect normal driving.?

Leaving it in sand mode keeps the Haldex locked to higher speeds and irrespective of steering angle, thus it will cause wind-up increasing wear on your transmission and tyres. So no, best not to leave it in sand mode on grippy surfaces.
Quote:
... but to alter the different modes.. should you stop and select before moving on or can you adjust on the go. Question

Modes can be changed on the move.

I've just been out for a short drive around town over a variety of inclines, in Normal mode.
Then adjusted to SAND mode.. an immediate and noticeable increase in acceleration thru the gears and whilst not totally reducing the Lag, it certainly made it feel more responsive. I need to do more comparison but many thanks to those suggesting the use of Sand mode.

Makes me think the Engine Management needs remapping for Normal mode as others have done by various independent means. I take on board the danger of staying in anything other than Normal, but as I do relatively small annual mileage I wonder if that matters so much.

Any other thoughts welcome Thumbs Up

Post #261129 20th Apr 2015 4:06 pm
CJB

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Is the car a 2011 model by chance? these early facelift TD4s are the ones with the dreaded hesitation problem which is well documented elsewhere on the forum. My dealer said he has three with the problem and LR are not sure how to fix it. . Also be aware that the FL2 has a very low first gear to make up for the lack of low range box, it was the same with the FL1 manual that I had.

It is indeed the facelift .. so maybe it is the mapping ?

Post #261130 20th Apr 2015 4:08 pm
dorsetfreelander

Have a look at this for a start

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic20555.html 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #261145 20th Apr 2015 5:55 pm
CJB

Thanks for that link. I don't get judder unless the revs totally die and mine is a manual.
Interesting that no resolution has been found, but then I never trust a garage to find a fault which is not permanent.. like writing a blank cheque.

Post #261148 20th Apr 2015 6:08 pm
Offshore1987

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

I thought it was a safety feature from LR as its been said on here before, it delays the response to the throttle from stand still

Dan Freelander 57 plate XS Blue Auto

Post #261257 21st Apr 2015 6:27 pm
CJB

REALLY ???
I can't believe that for one moment. A safety feature which causes delay in acceleration ? It might as well sound the horn and flash the lights as well .. Whistle

The fact that Sand mode makes the car respond in 'normal' fashion, proves there is nothing wrong with the turbo itself and leads me to think it is purely a tuning problem, especially if other models don't suffer the same. I am looking at getting a remap after checking out local dealers... or just use sand and switch to normal on a long drive.

I'll advise what happens later.

Post #261258 21st Apr 2015 6:58 pm
dorsetfreelander

We have had three pre facelift and one post with the reduced emissions engine. This latter engine certainly behaves differently to the other two and is noticeably more powerful and has more torque. However, we did have a problem with this car in the early days and on occasions it suffered badly from hesitation at road junctions. It went back to the dealers a couple of times and they updated software and "recalibrated the air flow system". At the same time it had a service and fuel filter change. Since then everything has been OK. I would be wary of remapping until the basic car is sorted otherwise you will never be sure of what what is going on.
Remember the scientific method, ie change only one variable at a time. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #261260 21st Apr 2015 7:27 pm
CJB

Thanks.. and interesting feedback. From what you say in at least one example, retuning or remapping cured the problem , plus persuading the owner to have a full service at the same time... at what £400+ ?

My suspicious and cynical nature would point to some FL2 versions having a tuning problem stemming from manufacture, which LR are reluctant to admit for fear of a general recall at their expense. .. how many times have car manufacturers refused to accept liability for problems. Toyota had their noses rubbed in their own mess after years of customer neglect and denial and eventually paid the price in loss of stature in the marketplace.

I take the point about being wary of diving in to a hoped for solution. I'm by no means a car mechanic but spent many years as a PC trouble shooter with a major manufacturer, who would issue countless 'upgrades' to kit which suffered strange symptoms after being sold. Microsoft are still doing the same with Windows on a daily basis. Car manufacturers just wash their hands.

From what I can see looking at several remapping suppliers in my area, they are quoting near identical gains in either performance and or economy, which suggests there is an off the shelf Eprom remap which addresses the very issues most are having with the FL2... at a cost of £200+ plus a service of course. Smile

Post #261266 21st Apr 2015 8:03 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I experienced this for the first time today pulling onto a roundabout. Foot to the floor and the car hardly responded, then exploded into life as the turbo kicked it. Very scary. Mine is an early facelift. FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because Iā€™m mental
Now greatly regret selling the Outlander. MPG of the FL2 is atrocious and so are the fuel bills. Fun though šŸ˜Ž

Post #266626 11th Jun 2015 8:22 pm
CJB

It is very scary if you don't expect it.
Unfortunately, I expect it every time now and it makes the car feel like a 20yr old banger due for the scrap yard.
I am currently looking to change back to anything with a lovely petrol engine. Unfortunately almost all 4x4 are currently diesel. I would never buy another diesel .. ever.

Also,. As it appears the nitrogen dioxide pollution of diesels is suddenly becoming a hot topic, I can see a rapid change of tax laws away from diesels. The FL might well have its place on a farm track pulling a horse box, but on a roundabout on the M20 with 6 exits and morons trying to ram you broadside if you delay 10mS .. IMHO the diesel FL is a pig in a poke.

Post #266632 11th Jun 2015 9:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>