« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Ignition fault -system reboots itself
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sparkes

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Ignition fault -system reboots itself

Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to the following issue we have been experiencing.

Within the past two weeks our 57 plate Freelander 2 has been experiencing electrical issues on startup which occurs both when the fob is in and button pressed initially for system checks or when the clutch is engaged and start button pressed.

Basically, on ignition there is a click from the glovebox area, all lights go out including the radio display and a line pans from the left hand side of the screen to the right. Within 2-5 seconds the system seems to reboot. This problem could be repeated two or three occasions until the car starts.

I've connected an OBD reader which I have connected via WIFI and through the DashCommand App I can see that there are no error codes.

The battery has been replaced within the past 6 months and is not a start stop model so did not require programming.

This problem has occurred in the past however within the past two weeks since I changed the rear discs and pads the problem happens at least once out of any three starts. On replacing the discs and pads I noticed the rear diff does have an oil leak. I'm also wondering if I damaged the ABS sensor.

We have just noticed also that the windows can no longer be closed via the fob.

All suggestions or recommendations welcome. As the car is essential we may have to drop it off at the stealers for a diagnostic however I'm trying to limit the expense.

Many thanks,

Andrew 2007 LR Freelander 2 GS - factory tints, LR mud flaps, 2013 facelift)
Problems/solutions include: rear diff pinion replaced, stearing rack and pump replaced, alternator earth cable replaced (plus new alternator as misdiagnosed), throttle body replaced, MAP sensor replaced, secondary earth cable...
2002 MG TF 160 1.8i VVC - Gone
1998 MGF 1.8i VVC - Gone

Post #260378 13th Apr 2015 3:38 pm
EYorkshire

Might be worth a look at the plug/socket connectors in the passenger footwell, I believe this has caused similar problems with the dash and can be inadvertently kicked/loosened.

Post #260379 13th Apr 2015 3:50 pm
Sparkes

Hi! Thanks, a very good point about the wires in the passenger footwell. They were a bit of a challenge from what I remember when I replaced the filter.

Just to confirm the line panning from left to right is displayed on the dashboard display. 2007 LR Freelander 2 GS - factory tints, LR mud flaps, 2013 facelift)
Problems/solutions include: rear diff pinion replaced, stearing rack and pump replaced, alternator earth cable replaced (plus new alternator as misdiagnosed), throttle body replaced, MAP sensor replaced, secondary earth cable...
1998 MGF 1.8i VVC - Gone

Post #260383 13th Apr 2015 4:25 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I would check the battery voltage during startup using an analogue meter so that you can see if it drops momentarily. Also check all battery and earth connections, remove and clean in case you have a poor connection. Could be a shorted out glow plug taking a lot of current. The starter takes over 100 amps so even a small resistance would show up as a voltage drop. Does the starter sound healthy? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #260387 13th Apr 2015 4:56 pm
telford04

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

try extra earth lead to starter plus refurb starter motor contacts £16.50 of ebay works perfectly Thumbs Up

Post #260939 18th Apr 2015 9:32 pm
Sparkes

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I decided to disconnect the battery Friday evening and left it off over night. Connected it back up yesterday morning and all works as if there wasn't a problem. Fingers crossed!

I've already got an additional earth lead but just haven't gotten around to fitting it but guess this shall have to be done sooner rather than later.

I've had trouble in the past but only in cold weather which would give the error message on the display "HDC Failure'.

If it does happen again I may try replacing the fuses under the dash just to see what happens. 2007 LR Freelander 2 GS - factory tints, LR mud flaps, 2013 facelift)
1998 MGF 1.8i VVC - Gone

Post #260996 19th Apr 2015 2:52 pm
telford04

i had the same problem,tried to start it only to have black line pan from top of display to the bottom
car would not start. called greenflag who arrived within 15mins but car had rebooted and started fist push of the button
did the mods eatht lead & starter no problems since Thumbs Up

Post #261053 19th Apr 2015 9:23 pm
Sparkes

Guess what I'm planning to fit the weekend?! Bought the lead about 9 - 12 months ago with all good intentions so guess I had better get around to fitting it.

Is pretty hard to see where on the starter motor it should go. Did you got yourself? Am presuming with the plastic engine cover removed it would make access that bit easier. 2007 LR Freelander 2 GS - factory tints, LR mud flaps, 2013 facelift)
1998 MGF 1.8i VVC - Gone

Post #261073 20th Apr 2015 6:50 am
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Theres a how to pinned in the maintenance section...

Its not 100% fixed my problem but it is a lot better.

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #261086 20th Apr 2015 9:18 am
telford04

take the time to checkout starter refurb kit on ebay
very interesting read about substandard starters fitted to some fl2
quite easy job to do Thumbs Up

Post #261166 20th Apr 2015 9:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1