« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Number plate screws
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
YorkshireKev

United Kingdom 
Number plate screws

Some lowlife recently relieved me of my number plates. I think they were easily removed as it appears they were only held on with sticky tape.

I've got some new ones fitted but again, only held on with tape. I fancy adding a couple of screws to each plate just to make it a bit harder for someone to nick them. My concern is that there may be some wires behind the plates, especially in the rear tailgate. So I thought I check here if anyone knew of anything I should watch out for before I start drilling the pilot holes!

I'd appreciate any advise or thoughts on attaching both the front and rear plates with screws.

Cheers,
Kev.

Post #260691 16th Apr 2015 8:38 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Both the front and rear plates on my my07 are held on with screws. The front ones were so insecure that I ended up with the plate hanging from one screw after crossing a ford. Now secured with some 3M double sided tape such as used to secure the spoiler as well as the screws. You can also get security screws with heads that only allow normal screwdrivers to tighten them, kind of "ready rounded" if you know what I mean!

Post #260693 16th Apr 2015 8:47 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hope they didn't Nick them to stick on another car.

Post #260698 16th Apr 2015 9:05 pm
YorkshireKev

United Kingdom 

Police reckon it's most likely to steal a tank of fuel, but could be used on another car. The prospect of them being used on another car has made me wonder about the wisdom of the DVLA no longer issuing tax discs. Someone could be driving uninsured and untaxed and the car would come up clean on any checks and there's nothing in the windscreen to check against the plates.

They were taken in January and so far I've not had any tickets or anything come through.

Post #260702 16th Apr 2015 9:19 pm
YorkshireKev

United Kingdom 

Well, I've fixed em on. For future searchers I thought I'd post an update on my findings.

My car is a 2012 model. The front bumper is fairly thin plastic, but there is some metal behind it. There's about a 10mm gap between the bumper and metal, so short screws are needed. I went for rivets instead, but still used those covered screw covers so it all looks tidy.

The tailgate has more space in it, but again I went for rivets. I'm not sure there would be much to screw into anyway and figured rivets would be better at keeping water out.

Post #260921 18th Apr 2015 8:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1