Home > Technical > TD4 SD4 Pistons
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rich_allen

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White
TD4 SD4 Pistons

Hi Guys,
Does anyone know if the pistons in the TD4 and SD4 are all the same? Having to replace all 4 of mine and just looking at options....
This is becoming an expensive rebuild....
cheers

Post #253685 18th Feb 2015 10:38 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I would be surprised if the SD4 is different, I just thought TD4/SD4 was an engine management (ie software issue) since thy have the same displacement. Also first time I have heard anyone talking about a rebuild on this forum, I would be interested to know why you are doing it and at what mileage etc.

Cheers

Post #253686 18th Feb 2015 10:54 am
rich_allen

*cough* 240k miles

Its a 2008 Commercial...
Started with a slight misfire investigation...
Turned out to be a snapped rocker, which the bearing had completely worn out leading the camshaft to wear it out before snapping...
Fitted all new rockers and lifters etc to find one valve was not returning as it should so decided to take head off to investigate... Wish I hadn't... lol
Something has been through the engine and damaged the underside of the head and all the pistons... In the way that there are cuts and dents in all of them.
No damage to liners.
I could have risked putting all back together and seeing if ok due to the misfire not being that bad and with new rockers it might have fixed it but have decided to have head rebuilt and skimmed and pistons changed.
Remarkably little wear on camshaft.

Just trying to source some pistons as brand new they are not cheap....
Have found a set of SD4 ones at a good price...

Post #253688 18th Feb 2015 11:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

maybe sponsor Dan@Duckworths could look in to parts numbers and quote Idea

also there are advanced factors too that can do parts to compare prices Idea Idea Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #253691 18th Feb 2015 11:22 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Try searching for swirl flaps on here. It's not unknown for them to break up and damage Pistons/head/valves etc.

Post #253692 18th Feb 2015 11:25 am
rich_allen

Interesting reading.... Thanks for the heads up Steve
Going to go and have a look now, that would explain a lot!
And if they are all present they are getting removed!!

Post #253694 18th Feb 2015 11:41 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

For what it's worth. A long time ago I did an engine rebuild of a very high mileage (actually hour-age) Massey Ferguson 35 tractor, 2.5 litre 3 cylinder diesel. When I took the lid off there was a lot of internal damage to the tops of two of the pistons and the head. It turned out to be that some of the piston rings had broken up and (somehow) parts of the rings had got on top of the pistons and rattled around until going out of the exhaust. Surprisingly the liners looked OK.

Post #253713 18th Feb 2015 12:40 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I bought our Freelie with a wrecked engine, it was more cost effective to buy and fit a replacement engine and do a 'one out one in'. If you are changing pistons then (I think), you have to take the engine out to remove the bottom sandwich plate before the crank balancer assembly can come free enabling reaching the big end caps.
I tried a lot of juggling with the crank balancer all loose but its got too much metal around its flange and it wouldn't come out on its own.
If you havnt already taken the engine out please do a search on here for a post on engine removal as the engine does come out easily from the top leaving all the rest of the mechanics in the car. The LR workshop manual is very misleading !
Kind regards from Fred. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #253754 18th Feb 2015 5:35 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

From 2010 when the TD4 150 and SD4 190 engines were launched. The engines are identical. The eD4 also has an identical engine but different injectors.

TD4 engines pre-2010 facelift have different Pistons. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #253771 18th Feb 2015 8:40 pm
fredastaire

Interesting comment Mav, my replacement engine was a Facelift ex test rig engine, spotless, unmarked and as factory new, I put my original 2010 ancillaries on it, ie manifolds Turbo and injectors.
I wonder what the piston change was for?
Ive still got the Facelift EGR, injectors and HP pump in stock, must list them one day.
Kind regards from Fred.
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #253894 19th Feb 2015 3:53 pm
exbrat202

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

dorsetfreelander, going back many many years I had a 57 Wolseley that had exactly the same happen, ring broke up and a piece rattled around before going out and breaking a bit of the exhuast valve, actually heard it happen as a bang then a rattle and then quiet - oil consumption went up though Shocked just shows nothings new Whistle MY14 TD4 manual XS Orkney grey.

MY11 TD4 Manual XS Lago Grey, privacy glass, rear spoiler, full ebony leather,rear seat entertainment. Gone
2001/51 plate Disco TD5 GS. Gone
95 N Disco TDi300. Gone

Post #254693 25th Feb 2015 12:03 am
rich_allen

Update if anyone is interested....

Engine rebuild is done...

Turns out some of the swirl flaps had decided to part company and make their way through the engine...
The rockers were very worn and I think this caused one of them to break.
Damage to all four piston tops but only in and around the swirl pots

I have very randomly come across another Freelander that some one had, who I bought a car from, that has just suffered exactly the same issue at the same mileage...

So about 240k seems to be the limit for the rockers before they wear out...

Ended up buying all new parts from Land Rover instead of second hand apart from the pistons which came from Ford Europe... Same pistons but a fair bit cheaper and come complete with rings etc where as Land Rovers didn't...

Have also removed all remaining flaps to prevent anymore issues...

700 miles in on new engine and all seems sweet.... apart from todays gearbox issue... but that's another story... lol

Post #263187 9th May 2015 9:10 am
fredastaire

TD4 Pistons and swirl flaps

Hi Rich,
For the benefit long term to members please could I ask that you give us the part numbers and suppliers for the Pistons etc from Ford, as other members will end up with the same problems in the future.
Please could you clarify 'rockers' and explain how all four pistons were wrecked / damaged; I would have expected one swirl flap to break just one cylinder of parts not all four?
Kind regards from Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
2009 Meriva

Post #263192 9th May 2015 9:45 am
rich_allen

Hi Fred,

Will dig out the invoice for them and find the part numbers when I get a chance..

The rockers are a roller rocker design on a little bearing that open and close the valves, the bearing had worn out causing it to go weak and then just snapped. The camshafts had pretty much no wear at all on them.

It wasn't just one flap by the look of it and the damage wasn't catastrophic to the pistons... To be fair I could have even left them in but I thought if I'm going this far I might as well replace everything and they were not that bad to take out... The block does not need to come out.

Pic below of the top of one of them, all were similar with some having slightly bigger chunks out of them.

The bottom of the head was a similar picture so had to have that skimmed back to make it nice and smooth again.

A couple of valves had to be replaced on the cylinder that had the broken rocker due to being slightly bent.

Replaced the hydraulic tappets as well whilst I was at it and all new stem seals etc

Post #263197 9th May 2015 10:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1