« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Retrofit Terrain Response
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FreeLander88

Sweden 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Retrofit Terrain Response

My Freelander 2 has not Terrain Response .Just wondering if it is possible to retrofit Terrain Response . Can you just replace the module in front of the gear lever knob with which to choose programs with ?
Grateful for answers.

Post #237967 15th Oct 2014 8:26 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

probably would need some other bits and pieces as well.

think this has been asked before, if you do a search.

Iain

Post #237971 15th Oct 2014 8:56 pm
Legoman

United Kingdom 

I have a terrain response dial unit if your interested.

From what I believe it may be possible. The only wire needed to be connected would be a white cambus one and then the CCF altered via a Faultmate or Autologic machine. One person I know, a LR independent mechanic, was going to try, but I don't know how he got on.

Anyway, no guarantees, but if you want to take a chance, then PM me for details of the dial.

Post #237979 15th Oct 2014 9:34 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

This may or may not help you:

A guy I know is a farmer and has a FL2 manual S with no Terrain response. His FL2 is off road every single day and is a workhouse for him which has now done over 150,000 miles. He has never had any problems off-road and on the few occasions that he has got stuck it has always been due to lack of ground clearance and certainly NEVER due to lack of TR. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #238068 16th Oct 2014 10:00 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Click image to enlarge

I also wouldn't bother trying to retrofit Terrain Response. Its definitely a useful gadget to have off road and enjoyable to fiddle with to make the car do more of the work in balancing throttle response etc to match under-wheel conditions. On the rare occasions when I couldn't get any further off road however it didn't make any difference what setting the TR was on - conditions were simply beyond the vehicle capabilities. Soft deep mud or deep snow drifts and TR makes not much difference frankly. If you want to take a Freely2 off road then better to get proper AT tyres and fit underbody protection. Given a hypothetical choice between low range gears or Terrain Response I would choose a low range box anytime.

Click image to enlarge

Post #238071 16th Oct 2014 10:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

If there is no TR what is the drive split set at, 50/50 or 90/10 or...? 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #238099 17th Oct 2014 9:14 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My son is an agronomist (look it up) and travels around farms daily, he has had two Freelander "S" models in the past and found that they were both very good off road and only got stuck when he upgraded to a GS and started playing around with the settings.

Post #238100 17th Oct 2014 9:42 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i would say the ratio is more road biased, but upon slippage the diff will 50:50 split the power

after all, the TR just tells the car what you expect the terrain to be, gravel=slippy, mud = sticky and hard going etc

Last edited by npinks on 17th Oct 2014 9:48 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #238101 17th Oct 2014 9:42 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

We need to distinguish here between Terrain Response and Special Programs - AIUI the 'S' does have the basic Terrain Response system, it just lacks the Special Programs.

That is, the 'S' will still monitor wheelspin and will control braking on individual wheels to correct it, and it has the same Haldex clutch to control torque split, etc. All it lacks are the Special Programs, and 'all' they do is modify certain parameters in the software which change the conditions under which various things (Haldex loading, braking, throttle response) happen. So the 'S' is like any other 4wd FL2 in 'normal' mode - which means that in the hands of a reasonably skilled driver it is nearly as competent off-road as any other model.

Special Programs can be useful - just the reduction in throttle response can be helpful on rough surfaces, and the tighter control of wheelspin can be good on ice. One thing to note is that without Special Programs the Haldex will release if the steering is turned away from the straight ahead position - this prevents transmission wind-up on high grip surfaces, but is less helpful when trying to manoeuvre out of a tight spot on a slippery surface, when you will effectively find yourself in 2wd!

Whether or not Special Programs can be retrofitted will depend mainly on whether the SP software is present and enabled on the car - if it is it could be as simple as fitting the selector dial, but if not you're not going to get very far.

Quote:
Given a hypothetical choice between low range gears or Terrain Response I would choose a low range box anytime.

Low range is the one thing my Forester had which I really miss - first and (particularly) reverse are far too high on the FL2. But why have to choose - it shouldn't cost much to add a 2-speed transfer case alongside the TR.

Post #238102 17th Oct 2014 9:46 am
Legoman

United Kingdom 

The OP was asking about retro fitting TC.

I might well agree with the arguments about having it or not, but it wasn't the question.

Post #238107 17th Oct 2014 11:06 am
ad210358

England 

Someone's peed now, looks like his chance of a sale has been scuppered. Rolling with laughter

Post #238149 17th Oct 2014 4:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1