Print this entire topic · 
athens65

Greece 
engine oil leakage freelander 2 diesel

Does anybody knows about engine oil leakage in freelander 2 diesel?[/quote]

Post #229587 22nd Jul 2014 7:58 pm
TonyJ

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

I had the sump leaking and had to be resealed. It does not have a normal gasket but a sealer. On mine this needed doing after 5 years. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #229609 22nd Jul 2014 10:21 pm
alex_pescaru

Maybe you can give us a summary description of what exactly do you want to know?....
Where is the leakage? Between engine and gearbox? Sometimes engine crankshaft seal leaks...

Post #229615 22nd Jul 2014 10:47 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

How much are you leaking? Common place is the engine breather which goes through the induction system. The large pipe at the rear underbonnet on the left hand side is common. Rub your finger under the joint and feel for oil. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #229664 23rd Jul 2014 7:53 pm
athens65

Greece 

Apparently there is not much. I discovered this leak when I send the car for the annual service and they had to change the oil of the engine. The leak does not leave a stain on the ground for example, but it has spread all over the area and even to the protection shield under the bumper, if you understand what I mean. The leak is close to the engine and not too low underneath it. I have to send the car for washing the engine and see what happens next. The technician at the local LRs repair unit said that it may have been caused by diesel fumes. I feel that this explanation has something in common with yours Pegleg or not?
He considered that it is nothing serious to engage in dismantling the engine and recommended that I should change the oil in the engine more frequently (half the limit suggested by the manufacturer-LR) due to the very hot conditions in Greece during the summer. This raises another point and I am skeptical if this argument is fair or simply they want to promote the oil products. Please note that, I always used fully synthetic oil with standards of high performance (5w30). What is your opinion about that?
Thank you all for your replies.

Post #229684 24th Jul 2014 8:16 am
Iddamalgoda

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Fuji White

I experienced similar oil leak at 80,000km. It was from rear crank oil seal mainly. Bow down [/quote]

Post #301947 5th Jul 2016 5:26 am
Iddamalgoda

2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Fuji White

Again accoding to my experience, if you find oil leaks from rear side of the engine, mainly 03 posibilities. 1. Rear crank oil seal ware off 2. Upper / lower oil sump seal damaged 3. Leaking turbo inlet oil pipe (critical,difficult to replace)

Post #301949 5th Jul 2016 5:40 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

If you are getting this under the bumper, I doubt very much it is the sump or crank seals. I had this after I did my first service and removed the turbo pipe to get to the oil filter (this was before I bought a 27mm swivel ratchet spanner!). In my case it was a slight leak from the turbo hose and I just repositioned the jubilee clip and retightened it. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #301950 5th Jul 2016 6:43 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

athens65 wrote:
Apparently there is not much. I discovered this leak when I send the car for the annual service and they had to change the oil of the engine. The leak does not leave a stain on the ground for example, but it has spread all over the area and even to the protection shield under the bumper,

Perhaps the mechanic spilled some oil while doing the oil change or refilling. If you have the engine cleaned and there is no more oil then that will be the cause.

J

Post #301981 5th Jul 2016 9:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1