« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Living with an X3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue
Living with an X3

Still loving life with the X3 - no issues whatsoever however I was travelling down the M6 yesterday and the following message appeared on the instrument cluster (note - excuse the dust inside she is being cleaned this weekend)

What the ruddy hell is this I was wondering, then I noticed the satnav screen had changed to this:-

How cool is that? Not only does it know that there is a problem but to also tell you what the problem is... I'm pretty sure my old FL2 had route diversion but it never gave you this much information. The coloured lines are a brilliant idea and update constantly, red means very slow / stationary traffic, yellow is slow traffic and white slowish traffic - its a great feature that helps identify if an alternative route is worth trying as you can see if those routes are also heavy or not.

When I reached the incident this is what I saw

BLOODY LAND ROVERS!!!!!!!!!!!! Rolling with laughter

Incidentally anyone notice the mpg on the first photo, this is almost a regular occurence now

Here is another quick photo taken in Snowdonia a few weeks ago

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #229161 16th Jul 2014 11:12 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

excuse me move that lump of grey matter its spoiling a nice view Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #229163 16th Jul 2014 1:01 pm
jubdad

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Trust you got a passenger to take that first photo.

Post #229164 16th Jul 2014 1:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

please its going well for you, hopefully the new disco sport will have a updated satnav system in, but i doubt it will keep up with the others in the market Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #229165 16th Jul 2014 1:17 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black
Living with an X3

Surely this is in the wrong forum ..... B M W perhaps ... Whistle Whistle Whistle

I will keep the towing rescue straps in the landrover ready for winter for straybeamers ... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
(tally so far pulled out of snow drifts /and ditches in 4years just local to me . )

2 x BMW X3
1 X BMW X5
1X AUDI A3
1 X CITRON( Dolly)was a care worker on the way to a job in December .

ps mileage computers lie (this was one of mine !! ) Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

this picture taken By a New Zealand mate while over here on a hol ...took it to show his mates in the south island as to what mpg we get to over there .he was laughing so hard that is why the picture is so blurry Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #229169 16th Jul 2014 2:09 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I think the mpg is pretty accurate, I used to be spending on average £60 a week at the pumps in the FL2 whereas now its only £40 - £45 over the same period.

Apologies for hi-jacking the LR forum with a piece of German Engineering ( Whistle ) but hopefully it demonstrates the sort of kit that is currently in other 4x4's - I really hope such tech arrives in the Disco Sport next year and who knows I may be back behind the wheel of a LR in early 2017 when the lease runs out.

There are a couple of things I miss that I had on the FL2, the headlamp button on the keyfob was useful in the dark - on the BMW you have to pull the flasher stalk once the ignition is off. I also find the horn on the Beemer difficult to use when turning the steering wheel - no issue with the FL2 with its shiny bars!

mudslinger - method in the madness - I was sick of being the only employee turning up at work when we had the snow a year or two ago, everyone else used the 'cannot get out excuse' - now its my turn!!! Even when the FL2 could tackle the rough stuff I still didnt get anywhere due to all of the other cars that couldnt move on the road. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #229174 16th Jul 2014 3:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have no problem with your BMW reviews been posted as a ex-FL2 owner its good comparison not some car magazine write up after a slap up meal and a first class flight to review a car

just keep it in off topic Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #229175 16th Jul 2014 3:34 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Cheaper to buy a TomTom

Post #229188 16th Jul 2014 7:37 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Yeah know what you mean Mrs M always looked forward to her "Snow days" because of where we live
not scince we had the Freely in every day even if it ment large round trip for me (more snow for me to play in twice a day .!)

cheap pull out rates if you have a freelander2 .com sticker on your X3 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Sheep Sheep Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #229189 16th Jul 2014 7:59 pm
athelstan

chicken george wrote:
excuse me move that lump of grey matter its spoiling a nice view Evil or Very Mad

Absolutely CG. That X3 really is an ugly looking vehicle - in any colour.
Cannot comment on its "technical IT abilities" but there must be something wrong with them as here the local BMW dealer is giving all "X" series BM's away. Newspaper ads for the last month or two you get get at least GBP£7 Grand of basic list price for an "X"3. Whistle

Post #229192 16th Jul 2014 8:40 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

MY2013 on sat nav does have a similar feature where it has different colour lines on the road where traffic is causing a delay plus the direction if applicable with little arrows and only lines for the relevant direction of travel.

If it thinks it will delay you (only when you have a destination plugged in) it will offer an alternative route. The type of delay is offered with a little triangle (we once had a car on its side to signify the problem was an accident/breakdown and a queuing traffic one).

The graphics aren't as finally defined as the BMW ones but there is plenty of info between the two screens on the FL.

Shilen, how does a brim to brim MPG calculation compare to the on board computer value? You can't argue with what it is suggesting. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #229198 16th Jul 2014 10:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1