« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A and B Service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dartman the one

England 
A and B Service

I have just had my car serviced at the nearest main LR dealers workshop, the book is stamped as an B service, the service sheet supplied (printout generated by the service department) states 16000mile,12 month service with a received mileage of 15399. The car is 24 months old and would therefore require a B service, the completed mileage in the service book is 15543 and the mileage on return to me of 15467. with an apparent 10mile test run?. I questioned the service manager regarding both the mileages and the type of service, he at first stated that there was no difference, but then said the service schedule had changed recently when I pointed out the one I had downloaded from here. I stated I had no faith that the car had been serviced correctly taking into account the errors. He promised to get back to me, which he hasn't despite a reminder and now pushing a fortnight. I have a service contract with the dealer, which I now will cancel, leaving an outstanding balance in my favour.I have a local one man garage who services many LR and Jaguar products, and all my families cars, since I have started to use him all the cars now run smoother and do less mpg than before. Seems he's a better bet. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #228377 4th Jul 2014 12:25 pm
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My mate has his own garage and also owns Freelander 2 HST, so he services all my cars, when I took mine in it was for an A service according to the service book, he rang me and said for the difference he would charge between and A and B Service he said to skip the A services as they were pointless and just have a B service every year, but fluids are the on a 3 year basis ie brake fluid etc to leave as they are.

I have looked whats done on an A service and I do agree with him it is pointless. Others may disagree, but for me its always been a full service every year I see no point in these interim services. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #228378 4th Jul 2014 1:21 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The only real difference between A and B services appears to be replacement of the fuel and air filters in the B service. A quick visual inspection should give you a reasonable idea as to whether these have been replaced. Were you charged for those items?

I've always received a maintenance check sheet following a service - this has ticks for each task completed, with different columns for A and B services - I take it you didn't receive this?

Since fuel and air filter degradation depends on mileage rather than time I personally will stick to the A and B services - I can see no point in replacing filters which don't need it.

Post #228379 4th Jul 2014 1:24 pm
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I agree Pab, with not replacing filters if they dont need it but as there was £50 difference from my Indie between an A and B I go for the B.

I wonder if Dealer Mech's do as they say sometimes, My Wifes Lexus CT200H went in for its first service yesterday its done 3200 miles in year lol, it was picked up from her place of work @ 8:30 and and brought back @ 4:30. supposedly valeted, to me it looks like because they have had it all day and new there was no rush its been the last car of the day to be looked at and very quickly gone over with a jet wash, the in sides had a very quick hoover no attempt at cleaning the sills or kick plates etc.

I know thats nothing to do with the engine service but its the service your paying for. The oil for example was crystal clear before it went in as its only done 3200 miles half of that was probably on battery power so I cant check the oil for example as it would look no different. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #228381 4th Jul 2014 2:10 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

what LR dealer did you use Dartman ?

Iain

Post #228387 4th Jul 2014 3:49 pm
Dartman the one

England 

OH wanted the service plan, they quoted £473 for the B service at 2years, I have no idea what was done as I only got a check list and no fuel filter changed, though everything else seems to have been done. Iain as you know there are only two LR dealers in Glasgow, one in the north and the other in the south, this was the one in the north, though from the attitude I thought I was dealing with the south branch before the takeover Smile The service side I haven't been enamoured with, especially the senior side of the service department, he got very stroppy when I asked about the fuel return line problem recall last July, demanding how I knew. and mumbled on about the LR server being down. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Last edited by Dartman the one on 4th Jul 2014 10:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #228400 4th Jul 2014 9:11 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I'm not sure I rely on the service check sheet. Just had my FIRST service done by TVLR, who probably did a good job - they are rated highly on here. When I had a look at the check sheet later they reckon they replaced all the brake hoses (but not the fluid). They also said the spare was new, when it ain't.
Not I think worth going back and making a fuss about, but mechanics, it seems, can get it wrong! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #228408 4th Jul 2014 10:23 pm
frawdder

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I had a similar experience with the same dealer last month when inquiring about a quote for 3yr A service. Was quoted the same price as you and when I queried was told that all the filters would be replaced. They were not interested when I queried the price and work required, just repeating original price. Went to a local LR Indy instead for half the price.

Post #228470 6th Jul 2014 11:54 am
ccsnet

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I always get service centers to show me what they did other wise how can they say they did any thing.

That said I stopped going to main dealers after a bolt was missing from one of my wheels after an expensive service ( I was on the motorway a lot at the time ).

Indis seem to do a far better job and I make sure I have the service schedule to hand BUT always check work after.

It helps knowing more then them before hand Smile

T Terran

'The' Car For The Modern Day UK Roads ( ie all the pot holes )

'A Freelander that leaks oil is just marking its territory' - Wise words

Now a member of the FL2 'Silly Bill' Club

Post #228543 7th Jul 2014 4:50 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Seems there has been a bit of a shake up there, and have had a good offer on next service. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #228595 8th Jul 2014 1:57 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I have never minded paying a fair price for a proper service, whether it be a Porsche or a Landrover dealer, problem is they do not do it proper !!

they tell you they have changed the filters, but they haven't
they tell you they took the wheels off and checked the brakes, but they didn't
etc.....................

but they jet-washed it so they reckon your happy.

Iain

Post #228698 9th Jul 2014 2:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1