Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > IoM TT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

My father was a great fan of the TT. At an early age in the '50's he started taking me to watch every year. My passion for motorcycling stemmed from those experiences. I "survived" riding for over 40yrs until recent ill health and her Ladyship (a Doctor) forced my retirement from riding my Ducatis.

What must be appreciated by all is that nobody forces any adult to either participate or spectate at a motorcycle road race like the TT or at the many motor rally events. They do so on their volition knowing full well the dangers inherent in those activities.

Prejudging the wisdom of holding those types of events when you are neither involved in any capacity, or, have never attended, is to demean the intelligence of all those who participate in any capacity be it as a rider/driver, navigator, marshall, steward, organiser, medic, technician, mechanic etc etc.. Each in their own capacity in my experience are throughly dedicated professionals whose only goal is excel in their role in the event, and not as is often portrayed after such tragedies, to behave recklessly or foolishly in their task.

Accidents do happen and no amount of legislation will prevent that. On road or track. Ever.

Post #226397 5th Jun 2014 7:42 am
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red

Of course road racing events happen all over the world. The Northern Ireland and Max races being the best known.
What's interesting is that they've been trying to reintroduce road races to the UK. At least, in the borders they have the Borders Race of the Reivers which will hopefully be a new road race around the Jedburgh area.
I'm not sure what stage it's at though.

Post #226407 5th Jun 2014 10:27 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I'm with athelstan on this,as an ex rider with 30 years experience on sports bikes I can understand the attraction from both the riders and spectators perspective having been on both sides of the fence.
It's always sad to hear of the tragedies that happen in sport that has a huge following world wide and for the families of those that loose their lives. Those that compete and watch know the dangers that are involved.
Both safety equipment and machines are always being developed to keep the riders as safe as can be, given the sport.
I wonder how many participants loose their lives horse riding or diving or any other type of sport each year.

Post #226431 5th Jun 2014 2:44 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

This is a case where they would be better finding a track. I imagine the poor driver of the Honda thought he had a fatality on his hands

http://cars.aol.co.uk/2014/06/05/video-bik...flattened/

Post #226440 5th Jun 2014 4:29 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

stooby wrote:
Of course road racing events happen all over the world. The Northern Ireland and Max races being the best known.
What's interesting is that they've been trying to reintroduce road races to the UK. At least, in the borders they have the Borders Race of the Reivers which will hopefully be a new road race around the Jedburgh area.
I'm not sure what stage it's at though.

The Motor Sport Association of GB who together with the ACU are in negotiation's with The Government to have a Bill passed by Parliament to allow Local Authority's (In conjunction with the Police, Fire etc.) to be able to "Suspend The Road Traffic Acts" which would enable motorsport events to take place on closed roads on the UK mainland.

You and I can apply to your local Authority to have any suitable road closed for and event such as a street party BUT what they cannot at present do is suspend The Road Traffic Act which controls the speed limits and this is what prevents motorsport events at the moment.

The MSA have informed associated motor clubs that if the act goes through not to expect large events like The Jim Clark Rally or the mainland version of the TT to take place immediately, but small events like "hill Climbs" and "Sprints" together with short lengths of road between Forestry Commission land so as to extend forest stages.

It is calculated that if this Bill is enabled that the economic benefits to areas where events are held could eventually be as great as those in the IOM and Eire where car events tale place on a regular basis with competitors and spectators coming from all parts of the UK and Europe.

For those forum members who live or know the Merseyside area, the reason that Wallasey Motor Club have for the last 33 years been able to run what appears to be and to all intents and purposes is a "closed road event" on New Brighton Promenade is that the Prom is actually a private road built on the sea defences which prevent large areas of Wallasey being flooded and when the Act of Parliament was enabled to build this sea wall was passed it included the "Powers to close the Highway" AND to suspend the Road Traffic Acts.
We are sure that the Town Clerk of the then Wallasey Corporation was not aware of what he would eventually be famous for, but all the members of WMC will be eternally gratefully to his memory.

I am sorry if this post is so long winded but I felt it was important to explain to members who are not motorsport enthusiastic what the eventual effects of this bill will be.

Finally come to Wallasey on Saturday September 6th to see what it is all about. http://promrally.wallaseymc.com/

Bill T. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #226507 6th Jun 2014 8:11 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i'm not sure if anyone saw it, but last night on ITV4 there was a program following that Yorkshire Rider with the lamb chop side burns

Very good at portraying the thrill of the race and the competitive streak that riders have, i recorded it but fell asleep with it been on late

apparently it was the 2011 series of races, when lamb chop threw his teddy out due to a 30 second penalty for going 0.12mph over the 60 mph pit lane limit

Post #226527 6th Jun 2014 10:19 am
littletriple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

sounds like Guy Martin from Lincolnshire!

There is a depressing & ever increasing emphasis on risk minimisation these days, no doubt driven by target culture & the costs of an "insurance for everything" society. This is passively accepted by a population ever less tolerant of death & injury. Taken to its conclusion this gives us nice safe existances where everything is padded in de-risked to the point of being devoid of any interest or excitement.

In this context it is really refreshing that institutions like the TT & the NW200 can still exist. Long may those rare opportunities to live dangerously (for those brave enough to do so) continue. We're in danger of getting too soft & should toughen up a bit.

Post #226534 6th Jun 2014 12:13 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

thats him, Guy Martin Thumbs Up

Post #226538 6th Jun 2014 12:37 pm
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red

Phew! The Senior race today was a corker!

Post #226552 6th Jun 2014 4:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12