« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > IoM TT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey
IoM TT

Now I'm not a safety nazi by any means (I'm more likely to be accused of having a cavalier attitude to such things), but I do have to wonder how the TT is allowed to continue. We're only half way through this year's TT week and already two riders are dead - about average for a TT meeting! More than 200 riders have died in total at the TT, and it's not getting any safer - seven riders were killed in 2000. That kind of death rate does seem excessive, even for a sport as dangerous as motorcycle racing. One can only wonder what their insurance premium must be!

I dare say there will also be repercussions for the rallying world following the deaths of three spectators over the weekend. It was, unfortunately, an accident waiting to happen and its something of a miracle that it didn't happen long before now, and with even worse results. Some rally spectators just don't seem to comprehend that rally cars can go out of control, and watch from some very dangerous places! Let's just hope there isn't an over-reaction on the part of the authorities with spectators being banned from large parts of the course.

Post #226304 4th Jun 2014 11:29 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i've never been too, or kept up to date with the happening of the IOM TT, apart from the occasional news clip i have seen or you tube video and i have always thought, it looks crazy adrenaline fuels fun, for those with a large set between their legs Shocked

I knew people had died, just like i know people die in F1 racing, but i never knew how many, it really brings home how dangerous this sport can be, I think they need to look at, its safety and spectator placing, (not that i know of any deaths of spectators) but they seem to be a wire waist high fence away from 200mph lump of metal

the rally, i think i heard a report that they have 200 rallies a year in the UK and this is a tragic accident and the first time in a long time there has been a spectator death

from me watching of a rally last year in Wales, they seem well marshalled, taped off, but there are idiots crossing the roads and stuff, but this seems a tragic series accident were they stood in a very unfortunate place on each occasion.

I think both sports will suffer, rules changes in the coming months

Post #226316 4th Jun 2014 1:43 pm
pab

Like you I've never been to the TT and I suppose it caught my attention because of the death of another rider, who happened to be a client and friend of a family member, a couple of weeks ago. Two riders died at that meet (in Northern Ireland) too, making four I know of in just over two weeks!

Contrast that with F1 where the last deaths were 20 years ago (Ratzenberger and Senna at Imola in 94) and the sport responded with a whole lot of safety changes to try to make sure it didn't happen again. The problem is that for something like the TT there's not a lot you can do apart from stop racing there!

Post #226317 4th Jun 2014 1:55 pm
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red

We lost Simon Andrews at the North West, Karl Harris and Bob Price at the TT.
Very, very sad. However, for those of us who can't lap The Island at 132mph, who are we to say what's right and what's wrong?
Take Simon Andrews. He had already been seriously injured a number of times road racing. He knew the score. Whilst I'm sure he'd rather be alive, he was well aware of what he was doing and was enjoying every minute of it. I am sure that's the same for the rest of them. What makes the TT and the North West etc (the many Irish Road Races) so awe inspiring is the very danger involved! Take that away and you have just another short circuit race albeit in a larger scale.
Just because I don't have the skill and bravery to do what these people do doesn't make it right for me to tell them they shouldn't be doing it. Far from it. I think they're all amazing From likes of John McGuiness, to the unknowns who race every year at the TT without any of the glory, sponsorship or hope of ever tasting champagne.

My pal raced at the TT for a few years. I know what his reaction would be if someone told him it should be banned.
It's a passion and he's a much richer person for his experiences.
Be sad at the losses but don't attempt to tell them to stop just because it makes you uneasy.

Post #226321 4th Jun 2014 2:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i don't believe Pab or myself have said it should be banned, as you say i (we) dont have the knowledge to judge what is right or wrong

There is no doubt at all that each and every bike rider knows the risks on riding at speed or at the speed limit, in a race or on a day trip out, they choose to ride and the ride to enjoy it.

I do think that these cases have caught more media attention and as such, i believe the governing bodies may be having to plan changes on the races or spectators areas

Post #226323 4th Jun 2014 2:58 pm
pab

Nick's right, I'm not suggesting that it be banned, although I am surprised that in this age of health and safety it hasn't been.

One could, however, compare the current state of road racing with F1 racing 50 years ago. Death was common in F1 then too, but the sport made a concerted effort to improve its safety and now there hasn't been a death for 20 years. F1's still around, and if money is any gauge it's in a better state that it's ever been. You could argue that the spectacle and bravery are lessened, but that's been a price worth paying.

We have to accept too that its not all about the riders and letting them show off their "skill and bravery". Others are involved too, from their families to the spectators (I gather 10 spectators have just been injured at the TT, one critically) and everyone else who has to pick up the pieces after yet another rider goes out in a blaze of glory.

Post #226326 4th Jun 2014 3:15 pm
stooby

Sorry Pinks, Pab you're right. you weren't calling for a ban.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Post #226327 4th Jun 2014 3:19 pm
stooby

Hi Pab,

Yes others get involved too. Spectators should know the risks and 'having to pick up the pieces' is part of the job of being a marshal etc. Again, they know the score.
The families are another matter. Often they have to watch loved ones pursuing their passion and are the ones left to deal with the tragedy. That's a difficult one. On one hand it's selfish on the part of the rider and on the other, well people have to live their own lives not other people's. if you see what I mean.

Stuart

Post #226328 4th Jun 2014 3:23 pm
pab

BTW, Andrews was the client and friend of a family member I mentioned above - she helped put him back together following previous crashes, and spent a bit of time with his mother last week. That's the other side of these fatalities, a side which is all too easily overlooked.

Post #226329 4th Jun 2014 3:30 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I've got a reasonably fast bike that will do 150mph+ and I have been close to that speed on motorways (in Europe) but you have to admire the way those fellas take that course on roads at the speeds they do, missing pavement, kerbs, fences, brick walls and people by inches in some cases. You can understand the excitement they must get from it and they ALL understand and accept the risks involved. My bottle goes just watching the onboard camera film. Shocked  Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #226336 4th Jun 2014 4:31 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Re: IoM TT

pab wrote:

I dare say there will also be repercussions for the rallying world following the deaths of three spectators over the weekend. It was, unfortunately, an accident waiting to happen and its something of a miracle that it didn't happen long before now, and with even worse results. Some rally spectators just don't seem to comprehend that rally cars can go out of control, and watch from some very dangerous places! Let's just hope there isn't an over-reaction on the part of the authorities with spectators being banned from large parts of the course.

Quote from Motorsport News, a very respected publication in the motorsport field, in connection with the tragic incident on The Jim Clark Rally which has been run in the area for over 40 years and is one of the best organised and marshalled events in the UK.
" It is understood that two of the deceased were working as media on the event, although this has not been confirmed by organisers.
It is understood that the crash took place in an area where viewing was prohibited, both for spectators and media."

We await the results of a multi-agency enquiry by Police Scotland, The Scottish Border Council and the Jim Clark organising committee which will be reported to the Procurator Fiscal.

My personal and I emphasise that it is my personal view based on 40 years of participating in rallying is that the organisers will be exonerated from any responsibly for the accident.

In the meanwhile the thoughts and prayers of the entire UK rallying community will be with the relatives of the deceased and the injured in this accident and the accident earlier in the day.

Bill T. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #226341 4th Jun 2014 5:40 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Regarding the TT, it is the responsibility of the Manx government, not the UK, it is a huge tourist industry draw and it is doubtful whether it would be cancelled on rider safety grounds. The rider decides the limit and the choice of death or glory, probably the IOM is the last bastion of personal choice in Europe. More surprising Brussels hasn't poked its nose in my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #226344 4th Jun 2014 5:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I agree with Bill, thoughts must go out to those who have passed away enjoying participating or watching a sport the enjoyed

If BT is correct that some of those that died were media, when i was at Welsh RAC Rally, i was watching one chap, standing in a position to get a better shot in a location that i would have thought was quite dicey, if a car over shot the corner, maybe that needs address Idea

Post #226348 4th Jun 2014 6:45 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I follow most bike racing events being an ex biker myself.
Must admit PAB, I did think the same as you in the black year of 2000.
But only for a short time.
These riders know the risks; many earn no money whatsoever from the sport. It's a passion that will never go away no matter how high the risk is. You fall off at the TT it could be the end of your life and they all know it.
What next? Stop climbing? Over 200 have lost their lives on Everest alone.

No, the TT should be allowed to continue for the simple fact that if it was stopped, some illegal non marshalled events would spring up elsewhere resulting in a lot more loss of life than the IOM TT.

On a brighter note, well done to Triumph for winning the Supersport event although I'm sure there was little to celebrate due to the death of Karl 'Bomber' Harris. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Last edited by Pegleg on 4th Jun 2014 10:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #226366 4th Jun 2014 9:11 pm
Harrim51

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

I ride to work on a bike most days.
More people are killed on the road every year on bikes.
We all make informed choices in life.

Post #226378 4th Jun 2014 10:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>