« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Mer Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue
Mer Review

I have recently been following some threads on other forums regarding that old 80's favourite.....Mer.

It transpires that Farecla, who are responsible for G3 Products have recently acquired them, and totally reformulated and rebranded the product. I haven't used the stuff since about 1992 when I owned a black Cavalier SRi 130, as I discovered Autoglym around that time, and have never looked back since.

So with my local branch of Hell-frauds offering 3 for 2 yesterday, I made a surprise impulse purchase, and decided to give it a whirl.

The Shampooo foamed up beautifully, and on the usage directions, it suggested adding a couple of capfuls of polish to the bucket....duly done, and washed up very well. Its been quite hot here in Warks. today, and it didn't dry streaky, as some others have found.

I swerved the polish application, as I had the car detailed a couple of weeks ago, so figured that it wouldn't really benefit it by polishing it further. Instead, I went straight to Wax, which strangely resembled Windolene from the 1970's in both colour, texture and smell! However, it went on very easily, and after a cold beer to give it time to cure, came off even easier.

I have to say that from an ease of use point of view, it brought the car up very well. The acid test will be tomorrow when it's due to hammer it down, so I can see what the beading is like. I don't envisage this as a direct replacement for my AG HD Wax, but I will probably use it through the Summer as a 'quick care' product. In terms of marks out of 10, probably 7....there are certainly worse products out there, thats for sure!! Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #226042 1st Jun 2014 3:24 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I have stayed with mer for their plastic/rubber/bumper cleaner, still think it's the best for blacking mudguards etc.

Post #226065 1st Jun 2014 6:05 pm
RobGColl

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Looking good. Thumbs Up Lovely colour in the sunlight. Mer is a blast from the past. I used to use it in the 90's too. I remember adding it to a bucket of water when giving the car a final rinse off, letting it dry and then polishing it off. It used to work well! Little blue bottle with a gold cap if I remember rightly. I've started using Sonex Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer after washing. Gives great results, dead quick to use and beads very well. MY11 Freelander 2 TD4 S, Santorini Black, Almond Cloth, Full MY 2013 facelift, Factory Privacy Glass, Clear View Pack, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensors, LR 19" DogLeg Alloys, and lots of other stuff!

Last edited by RobGColl on 3rd Jun 2014 10:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #226085 1st Jun 2014 8:21 pm
DAC364

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

I remember Mer being the 'in' thing. Christ it makes me feel old!

And a very nice car too! Thumbs Up Td4 XS manual, Orkney Grey, MY2014

Post #226123 2nd Jun 2014 1:27 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Err, I am still using a little blue bottle with a gold top. I must be very frugal! (or tight) - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #226155 2nd Jun 2014 8:06 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

I've been using Mer shampoo on three cars over past month- works well + value for money- started spraying Wekstatt Jett after drying - which looks great
Hoping to try SONAX Brilliant Shine Detailer next 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line (gone)
Discovery Sport D200 S 2024 MY

Post #226162 2nd Jun 2014 8:58 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Agree with comments on the Sonax - bought from Amazon and gives a good shine and the beading is amazing in the rain. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #226274 3rd Jun 2014 8:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1