« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > TOW BAR AND BIKE RACK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Winslet

United Kingdom 

John

In answer to your two questions, the kit I bought was the option on their website for the dedicated electrics (MY2013, 7 pin) when purchasing the tow bar - there are drop down menus for various additions. The socket doesn't need rewiring, it is pre-wired - in fact the socket goes down the hole in the boot to the wheel arch as the plug that goes into the loom is too big to go up the hole (I think - I just followed the instructions) and the socket then clips into the holder and is in turn bolted to the bracket on the tow bar.

The Thule I bought came with 7 pin electrics - and it is these I have fitted to the car. I also use a trailer with 7 pin electrics, so no adaptor required. I think PF Jones sell dedicated electrics with a variety of sockets - twin, etc.

I have found the PDC doesn't switch off in reverse, which doesn't bother me as I rarely reverse with the trailer (I can't see it behind the car from the driver's seat unless it has got tall stuff in) or with the bike rack fitted. The instructions do say to do a battery disconnect/reset, which I haven't done yet. Not sure if it will make any difference.

The Thule I have does tilt in order to allow access to the boot - but not enough if the bike nearest the car is tall.

As to the choice of rack, I had 4 different ones 18 months ago from a variety of cars - Thule roof mounted - a struggle on a normal car to get on/off and I was always scared of dropping a bike on the roof, apart from the height and MPG issues. A boot mounted one but just a pain to get the bikes on in a safe and tidy way, still needed a trailer board as the lights were obscured. I also had Witter flange mounted one. Wobbled like crazy and still needed a trailer board. In the end I just went for the Thule tow ball mounted as pictured in my previous post - expensive but has none of the issues I have highlighted above.

HTH

Andrew 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #221749 9th Apr 2014 8:22 pm
JohnD

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

Thanks for the detailed advice Andrew.

I've now fitted a Witter detachable and, as you say, it works perfectly in conjuction with a tow ball mounted rack.

I chose a Witter rack rather than the Thule because it tilts enough to open the rear door, even with a normal bike in it.

Plug and play electrics worked fine as well.

Thanks again,

John Gone: S1 TNB 664
Gone: S2
Gone: 110 Defender
Gone: TD5 Disco

Post #223039 25th Apr 2014 5:04 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I also have the "fixed" LR towbar and the removable bike carrier. I also have the dealer fit power sockets and use a light board to show registration and lighting. I moved the bar from 08 car to 13 OK
A word of caution, do not overtighten the stainless nuts on the clamp plate as the threads are a bit fragile. One of mine is now a bit stiff but as it's only a locking plate it's OK. Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #223048 25th Apr 2014 6:36 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

No problem JohnD, glad you're all sorted Thumbs Up 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #223060 25th Apr 2014 8:22 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

See For Sale section, I have an as-new cycle carrier for sale complete with the fixed towbar attachment socket and a light bar.

Open to offers due to Freelander gone and Discovery Sport in the garage

Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #278128 9th Oct 2015 4:03 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

As I have a 2013MY with the plug and play wiring I've gone for the Witter fixed towball and dedicated wiring option - just been delivered today from PF Jones - their support and service is second to none.

TowBar R40A http://www.pfjones.co.uk/landrove-freeland...w-bar.html
Wiring Kit http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271154891618?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT
Total cost about £150.00 for the bits - no bumper off, no bumper cuts - Simples......... (I hope Whistle )

I will be using it for an e-bike and my mountain bike on a Thule 916 carrier http://www.pfjones.co.uk/thule-916-europower-cycle-carrier.html which is tiltable, lockable etc and folds down to fit in the boot.

Should be quite a beastie when it's done hopefully I'll get it all on in the very near future Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #279248 23rd Oct 2015 9:29 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Well its on - one man job to fit the tow bar but used my trolley jack to offer it up whilst I fitted the end bolts - straightforward enough to do.
Just got a bit of wiring to tidy up underneath and that's another one off the list
Plug n Play electrics (7pin) work perfectly and no interference from the towball with the reversing sensors Thumbs Up

No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #279396 25th Oct 2015 7:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12