« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Headlights Again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ebygum32

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Headlights Again

Been through all the search topics and looked at them, what I would like is a plain and simple answer,

I have purchased some projector headlights for swmbos 57 plate GS which has the standard halogen headlights, what I want to know is,

What's the best combination for the projectors, ie bulbs or HID kit or ????????

As I said read pages and pages on the searched topics but people go on about do this do that this is illegal this will dazzle oncoming drivers etc

Cheers in advance

Chris

Post #222478 18th Apr 2014 9:48 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

It will depend on what the projector units you have bought are designed for. If they were designed for halogen bulbs that is what they will work best with. If they were designed for hid they will work best with hid units. The geometry of the headlight unit will be designed for the light source of the bulb and using the wrong bulb will result in dazzle, lack of focus and poor beam pattern.
Why do people think that a unit cobbled together from disparate parts will work better than complete units that are the result of the big lighting companies research and design departments. So the best bulb for a unit with an H1/H4/H7/H11 or HID light unit is the best bulb that is designed for it, not some conversion dreamed up and cobbled together in a Chinese factory with no reference to standards.
So, look at the light unit, read the bulb designation that is normally moulded into it and buy the best bulb you can afford that is designed for it, not a conversion that has had the fitting from a halogen bulb soldered on an hid light unit.

Sorry, rant over!!!

Post #222480 18th Apr 2014 10:42 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Bob,
That's not a rant.
Probably the best post I've read for some time Thumbs Up
You're absolutely spot on. The R&D that goes into exterior lighting is indeed exhaustive to say the least.
There is too much of 'keeping up with the Jones's'.
Well said Sir Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #222481 19th Apr 2014 12:28 am
ebygum32

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Bob and peg leg

That's exactly why I posted this on here as explained in my original post, I can safely say that the headlights on the older FL2 s are very poor indeed hence my post, I had the chance to buy these as they were a good price like I said but it was a case of buy them now before someone else grabs them hence what I did.

Rightly or wrongly but I have them now so that's why my post is up here I want to improve the lights on her car due to the unlit country roads where we live not because "we are keeping up with the jones" if money was not an issue I would upgrade to a better spec Freelander2 but I do not like or have any debt except for a mortgage not even a credit card, not interested in what other people do to there vehicles, only reason I do things to the FL2 or my D3 is for practicality.

So anyway back on topic will do some more research on the projectors and see what I can find out prior to fitting, like I said in the original reason I asked on here is for advice so I do not dazzle or get wrong beam pattern etc. Thumbs Up

Post #222482 19th Apr 2014 8:09 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

So, look at the lens and find out the recommended bulb format then go out and buy the best you can afford of that format.
As a driver of an ancient (in FL2 context) 2007 GS I have the standard halogen H7 lamp units with nightbreaker unlimited bulbs fitted. I change the bulbs every 2 years as I don't do a huge amount of night driving. The only time that I feel that the lights are inadequate are at night in the rain. In fact I feel that in the dry they are very good.
I do tend to be a bit meticulous with keeping both lamp lenses and windows clean both inside and out. That probably follows on from being a motorcyclist. Best headlamps I ever had on a bike were twin Cibie Z Beam. Nice simple circular reflector and lens so the light just went where it was directed. Modern body shaped headlamps must be a real pain for the lamp unit designers!
The other thing to do is to make sure that the lights are set up correctly. No good spending a fortune on the best lamp units and bulbs if all the light goes in the wrong place. The MOT test only checks that they won't dazzle oncoming traffic, not that the light is going where its needed.

Post #222483 19th Apr 2014 8:33 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Quick reply coz I'm not on my wifi.
Do a search on here as I've done a post on fitting projector lights with nightbreaker unlimited to my MY 2010. I'm very happy.
I've notes on that post about what not to do which is dont even think about aftermarket HID.
Pm me if you want to talk personally, I can tell you how I aligned my beam setting to replicate the original halogen.
Regards from Fred.

Post #222486 19th Apr 2014 11:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1