Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Is this reasonable from a main dealer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
Is this reasonable from a main dealer?

Some of you have followed my recent troubles regarding a 2010MY GS which I bought in January from a LR dealer in Carlisle.

Briefly, the "Land Rover Approved Used Vehicle" they sold me was rotten under the bonnet, something I didn't pick up at point of sale. To their credit, once confronted the dealer agreed to exchange it for another, slightly older, 2010MY GS.

Last Friday I drove from one end of the country to the other to exchange the vehicles. For my trouble they gave me a tank of fuel and some rubber mats.

Back home, I was troubled by a whining from the rear of the 'new' car. I hoped it was the tyres but a trip to my local LR dealer confirmed it to be in need of a replacement rear differential pinion bearing. It may of course be more serious once stripped down but that's their initial diagnosis.

The repair might be covered by the 12 month LR warranty but as my local dealer pointed out, the car was sold to me in this condition and should have been repaired before sale. In short, LR may refuse to cover it. I'll find out on the 25th April - the soonest I could book it in locally.

It goes without saying that if the supplying dealer wasn't 400 miles away I'd be there this morning - unfortunately the real world precludes that.

I have emailed the dealer and await a reply. I'm so disheartened by the whole thing I don't even know what to ask of them.

Both cars were supplied with obvious faults which either weren't picked up or were but ignored. Both cars were advertised with full, up to date LR service histories (from them) which actually weren't - both needed additional work (pointed out by me) to bring them up to date.

To say their quality control is somewhat lacking is something of an understatement.

As an aside, the first vehicle is already back on sale on their website, at £1500 more than I paid.

Is this normal from a Land Rover dealer? I had two Disco's previously which were privately bought. This time I spent the extra and went to a 'proper dealer' to avoid hassle - how wrong I was.

I feel I should be compensated by the dealer. What should I ask for? I'm thinking an extra year's warranty. Any other suggestions? Am I blowing this out of proportion?

Thanks for reading.

Post #221775 10th Apr 2014 10:56 am
le bouch

Just realised that I probably can't ask for an additional year's warranty as the car will (just) be 5 years old at time of renewal..

Last edited by le bouch on 10th Apr 2014 12:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #221776 10th Apr 2014 11:13 am
Jrt2007xs

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I nearly bought my latest freelander as 'approved used', does sound worrying that they are prepared to try and sell the first car again, makes me think they just want rid of a headache and will dramatically reduce the price when a buyer turns up, making them feel they got a great deal!

I suppose the problem with approved used is that they just pick them up the same as any car dealer.

Any chance you can give the second car back? Explain the issue and try find a new car from someone else? Or would it not work like that if you have put so many miles on the car?

Post #221777 10th Apr 2014 11:22 am
le bouch

Thanks for the reply.

I did ask for my money back the first time round - they offered to repair or exchange only, and in fairness I was happy to exchange.

Both cars were originally supplied new by them and then later taken in as part exchange. They said they 'knew' both cars.

I have less issue with the salesmen than their service department's PDI which appear to be a joke.

Ask for my money back again or persevere?

Post #221778 10th Apr 2014 11:28 am
Jrt2007xs

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

If you can get the local dealer to work out the whine and pay for it....could be worth keeping hold of. May just be a small fault. Where do you stand with 'approved used', do you get a special warranty?

Problem is, you could end up with a third car and be just as unlucky, how many miles have they done?

Post #221779 10th Apr 2014 11:34 am
le bouch

First car had done 57k and the second (with the diff problem) only 31k.

The LR Approved Used cars come with a 12 month warranty but that's intended to cover problems that develop after sale. The dealer is supposed to sell the car without problems to begin with - hence "Approved".
This is why the local dealer says LR may refuse to cover it under warranty - it's not their problem to solve, it's the supplying dealer's.

When it comes to it, LR may just cover it anyway so I don't want to jump the gun.

And I do take your point that any car can be a nightmare. Who's to say Freelander number three wouldn't be worse?

Post #221781 10th Apr 2014 11:46 am
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Contact Mike@Land Rover customer relations on here for his opinion and any help he can offer. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #221782 10th Apr 2014 12:18 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

"Who's to say Freelander number three wouldn't be worse?"

Yes you could end up with the Bali Blue one I just sent back Rolling with laughter
(2 new haldex units, 1 diff pump, 1 diff bearing in 12 months) Evil or Very Mad Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #221786 10th Apr 2014 1:06 pm
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

If it has an approved used warranty then just tell the local dealer to fix it. Unless I'm missing something but as i understand it you have 2 options. Return it under the 30 day refund/exchange policy or any land rover dealer should fix it.

I don't get why your local dealer did not fix it following diagnosis, the car could have developed the fault after you picked it up or before, who knows. So tell the local dealer to do it.

Post #221793 10th Apr 2014 2:14 pm
le bouch

It's not that simple. You can't 'tell' a dealer to fix anything, even under warranty. They have to be paid by LR, who have to approve the work beforehand.

This is a pre-existing condition, which was the dealers responsibility (and cost) to fix before it was sold and the warranty kicks in.

I am aware of the 30 day clause and considering my options.

I've had a non-committal reply from the 'Dealer Principal', written in the style of an internal memo. It addresses zero of my points so progress is not great so far.

Post #221796 10th Apr 2014 2:30 pm
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

How do you know its a pre existing condition. I expect it was but the dealer who sold it will probably say it was checked by them and was fine and that you should use the warranty now.

When i got my first 2011 fl2 it had a faulty clutch when i picked it up, the dealer i got if off said it was fine, i took it to another dealer who said it was faulty and they fixed it no questions asked.

Hope you get it fixed and enjoy the car.

Post #221807 10th Apr 2014 4:11 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

le bouch. No laughing matter for you but I get the impression that if you fell in a bed of roses, you'd come up smelling of Censored ! You must be one unlucky boogger! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #221814 10th Apr 2014 6:45 pm
le bouch

I am beginning to regret that I let my heart rule my head and get a Land Rover. I know all vehicles have faults but you can only judge by your own experience. Which so far has been sh Censored t.

Post #221817 10th Apr 2014 7:02 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

You won't regret it once you have a properly working car!

As said above, if you haven't already talked to Mike then it's time to do so. You may find he can apply a little pressure and get things sorted to your satisfaction.

Post #221818 10th Apr 2014 7:20 pm
le bouch

Mike got involved this afternoon and I have just heard back from the dealer that they will cover all the costs when it goes into my local for the repair - it won't be a warranty claim.

I just need to decide whether I can trust them / the car now or whether I'm better off returning it within the 30 day period and just getting my money back and buying something boring and reliable.

Post #221819 10th Apr 2014 7:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>