Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil changes and dipsticks.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black
Oil changes and dipsticks.

I had my car serviced by an Indy this week. Yesterday I checked my oil and found it was about 1cm above the max mark on the dipstick. I went back to the garage who checked it and said it was ok. The garage owner went on to tell me that they don't usually check the dipstick, they drain the oil and then replace it with the recommended amount stated in the handbook. He said in my case a tiny bit of old oil must have been left in the engine when the correct amount of new oil was added. Also, the guy was telling me that the new LR ranges of vehicles don't have dipsticks either!

My main concern was that my engine might suffer damage from having too much oil in it but the garage owner said I would need loads more in to do any damage. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #221303 5th Apr 2014 2:40 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Interesting.
I did my oil change 2 weeks ago AND dragged the dregs out with capillary action using a pipe cleaner. Followed with the prescribed oil quantity and guess what; its above the top level mark by quite a few millimetres!!
Kind regards from Fred.

Post #221331 5th Apr 2014 7:55 pm
Stevie5tapes

It looks worse on the picture, car was on fairly level ground but was definitely 10 mill above the mark. I was concerned that the engine could suffer damage but the mechanic who was LR apprenticed trained said it was fine. He said if it was more than an inch they would drain it.

Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #221337 5th Apr 2014 8:11 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Taggarts overfilled mine twice by about 8mm on the dipstick.

both times I removed about a litre to bring to the full mark on the dipstick.

Iain

ps Stevie, looking at your mark on the dipstick I would say there is way too much and I would take some out, but that's my own feelings.

Post #221344 5th Apr 2014 8:21 pm
EYorkshire

It does seem to be a subject talked about with divided opinions, from oil seals blowing to mass aeration of the oil to over pressuring of the system. Personally I'm not sure with modern cars but if I saw 10mm above I think I would play safe and remove the excess.

Post #221346 5th Apr 2014 8:40 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Sounds like the dealership is talking cobblers to you. The whole point of a maximum fill mark is just that - a maximum. It's been exceeded, you didn't pay for it to be exceeded, they've done the job incorrectly, it could cause serious damage to your engine so I would demand that it is corrected. If not, get it in writing from them that the Land a Rover maximum fill mark is irrelevant and that they will accept liability for any damage to the engine whilst it is overfilled. As to them saying that there must have been some oil left in the engine, that just says to me that they didn't drain it properly so you have not technically had a complete oil change and still have some old oil in it. I'd demand that the oil be drained and refilled again with fresh oil. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #221348 5th Apr 2014 9:22 pm
taztastic

England 

did the Indy drain the oil or 'suck' it out, many do as its quicker and doesn't require a ramp, can the filter of the FL2 be done from the top?
Might be an explanation as too why the filled the correct amount but some was left over?

Post #221350 5th Apr 2014 9:35 pm
Stevie5tapes

I'm not sure how the Indy changed the oil. Like I said before, asked him if it was a problem with seals blowing/pressure etc but he said it was fine, infact he said it would burn off overt time. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #221351 5th Apr 2014 9:42 pm
taztastic

England 

The difference between max/min is 1 litre, do you use that much between oil changes, if not, mine doesn't, then you won't burn it off?
Talking rubbish to cover there cock up. Put yourself in their shoes in six months time if there's an issue "certainly Sir, we'll get you a new engine, it was all our fault"

Post #221353 5th Apr 2014 9:50 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I carry a litre of oil around in the car. Never had to use it so I'd be doubtful that it would burn off if overfilled!

Post #221376 6th Apr 2014 7:54 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1806.html?highlight=oil At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #221380 6th Apr 2014 8:27 am
Stevie5tapes

Well its starting to do my head in a little!!

I dipped the oil this morning after the car had been stood all night. It was about 4mm above the max, no where near as bad as the photo I posted origionally. Then I dipped it another 4 times and each time the oil mark got higher and higher, I think as with me dipping that many times that the oil is clinging to the dipstick tube?

Is there a special "nak" to dipping with the FL2 dipstick? Its the first car I've had with a twisty stick. I know my car burns oil, when I dipped it a couple of weeks ago it was near the min mark, I didn't top it up as it was booked in for its service. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.

Post #221416 6th Apr 2014 11:40 am
Enigma

Scotland 

Stevie, I had an xtype estate previously and it had the twisty dipstick. I was never ever able to get an accurate reading from it.
The first time I attempted to check FL2 oil level and drew out the dip stick I actually groaned. Another f#¥$ing twisty dipstick.
I have read various theories on how to get an accurate reading, including having the oil can on the top facing the right way up! Nothing I have read and tried to emulate has done any good.
If anyone can help I would love to hear about it. Black edition! Previous FL1 04 Td4 3dr HSE.

Post #221748 9th Apr 2014 7:46 pm
papashaun

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

I usually pull the dipstick out and leave it out for 10 - 15 mins
Then re insert it to get a reading - the 10 mins with it out seems to let any oil
in the tube settle and get a cleaner reading Freelander 2
MY 2011
SD4 XS

Post #221771 10th Apr 2014 9:33 am
glynhughes

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

My 3.2l Petrol has been serviced three times under my ownership so far - LR main dealer. ALwyas shows a dipstick reading substantially over the |XXX| area. Never had any problems.

Never worried about it while under warranty, but it's something I'll be looking into now it's out of warranty. Going in to a different LR approved service centre next week and will see how it comes back after its oil change. Then I'll query it with them whether its shows within max-min or is 'over full' as usual.

Ive heard my petrol engine is susceptible to minor problems with oil and cooling. No idea if it's true - came as third hand info.
So it's niggling at the back of my mind the fact that the handbook says it's 'wrong' but the garage seems not to.

I'll post here again when I get the car and answers back.

Post #224661 13th May 2014 6:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>