Home > Technical > haldex oil change every 20,000 K
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ironduke

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red
haldex oil change every 20,000 K

hi everyone today while my car was having a 45k service by gumtree indy,
I read an article in there waiting room from 4x4 magazine which was reporting on the freelander 2 td4
and it qouted that if or when buying this car to make sure that the oil and filter of the haldex as been changed every
20,000 miles.
I did take a picture of article on my phone and will try to put on here 57 reg GS leather seats panoramic sun roof
Nazca sand side step rails chrome grille and mirrors

Post #220120 21st Mar 2014 11:15 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/260449-haldex-unit http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=285514 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #220123 22nd Mar 2014 12:28 am
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

When do Land Rover say it should be done?

Post #220124 22nd Mar 2014 12:34 am
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...0Miles.pdf

If item 31 on this schedule "Power transfer unit" is the Haldex replacement of oil is at 150K or every 10 years.

Getting my auto box, rear diff and Haldex fluids replaced later this year at approx. 40k miles.

Bill Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #220134 22nd Mar 2014 10:15 am
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Hmm. Mine is due for service in Sep and will have covered about 60k miles by then. I may do the same..

Although having read a couple of threads here it sounds like a biggish job to do properly? Haldex out, 1 filter to change, 1 to wash, Haldex flushed and dried, refilled...

Post #220137 22nd Mar 2014 10:27 am
ironduke

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

hi CG and others thanks for reply's but i have been told Audi and Volvo recommend the haldex oil/filters changed around 40,000 miles. I know land rover say over 100,000 miles but do we know what haldex recommend.
thanks for pics CG it looks a bit complicated and are special tools required.
Also yesterday i asked my indy garage they say the same as l/r. 57 reg GS leather seats panoramic sun roof
Nazca sand side step rails chrome grille and mirrors

Post #220159 22nd Mar 2014 5:24 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

maybe be more clearance to work on an fl2 than an audi? so that special spanner may be redundant? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #220164 22nd Mar 2014 6:48 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Does anybody know how similar or radically different the Volkswagen/Audi/Skoda Haldex units are compared to those specified by Landrover for the Freelander 2 ?
Without going back and re reading all the forum data I thought the filter was hidden away inside?
I've looked at the linked pages above and it all appears so easy --- so is it easy?
Kind regards from Fred

Post #220174 22nd Mar 2014 9:36 pm
impact

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Fuji White

I’m having trouble believing that LR, with a fifty plus year history of vehicle manufacture and world renowned off-road capabilities, is a part of some sort of an evil plan to make every Freelander 2 owner buy a new Haldex unit once their car hits 100,000 km.

Could it be that there’re major differences in the way Haldex units operate in various makes? We know that the hardware is the same, but does it work the same? From what I understand individual makes (ie VW, LR etc) program Haldex units to suit their own requirements. And I reckon it must cost them a few bob to do it. I believe there’s a general consensus among our club members that Freelander2 starts moving with a 50:50 distribution of power between front and rear axle. As vehicle gains speed this ratio moves to something like 90:10, favouring the front axle. But is this also true for other manufacturers? Could it be that programing in other makes is a bit more straightforward or simpler? Is it possible that the power ratio/distribution doesn’t shift as much in other makes, or perhaps it doesn’t shift at all (ie constant 70:30 split). I believe it would be cheaper to program a constant power split. If this was the case the Haldex unit would work harder and would therefore require more frequent oil changes.

Why not check the state of your Haldex oil before you decide on whether to change it or not? Undo the filler plug and aspirate a small amount of oil using a clear syringe with a 10cm silicone tube attached (bought mine at an auto spares shop for about $10). I checked mine at 66,000km (pictures in my gallery) and it was a beautiful golden colour. It looked like new cooking oil. MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #220180 23rd Mar 2014 4:17 am
impact

I’m having trouble believing that LR, with a fifty plus year history of vehicle manufacture and world renowned off-road capabilities, is a part of some sort of an evil plan to make every Freelander 2 owner buy a new Haldex unit once their car hits 100,000 km.

Could it be that there’re major differences in the way Haldex units operate in various makes? We know that the hardware is the same, but does it work the same? From what I understand individual makes (ie VW, LR etc) program Haldex units to suit their own requirements. And I reckon it must cost them a few bob to do it. I believe there’s a general consensus among our club members that Freelander2 starts moving with a 50:50 distribution of power between front and rear axle. As vehicle gains speed this ratio moves to something like 90:10, favouring the front axle. But is this also true for other manufacturers? Could it be that programing in other makes is a bit more straightforward or simpler? Is it possible that the power ratio/distribution doesn’t shift as much in other makes, or perhaps it doesn’t shift at all (ie constant 70:30 split). I believe it would be cheaper to program a constant power split. If this was the case the Haldex unit would work harder and would therefore require more frequent oil changes.

Why not check the state of your Haldex oil before you decide on whether to change it or not? Undo the filler plug and aspirate a small amount of oil using a clear syringe with a 10cm silicone tube attached (bought mine at an auto spares shop for about $10). I checked mine at 66,000km (pictures in my gallery) and it was a beautiful golden colour. It looked like new cooking oil. MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #220181 23rd Mar 2014 4:17 am
impact

Hmmm, not sure why my post came through twice. I only hit the button once. Honest! MY10 TD4 SE Auto

Post #220182 23rd Mar 2014 4:21 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

impact wrote:
Could it be that there’re major differences in the way Haldex units operate in various makes? We know that the hardware is the same, but does it work the same?

There are certainly differences. Land Rover is the only company I know of which pre-charges the haldex to get 50/50 when moving off. As far as I'm aware most manufacturers are front-biased until slippage is detected, at which point the haldex engages. It's not clear, though, what effect this will have on wear in practice.

Quote:
Why not check the state of your Haldex oil before you decide on whether to change it or not?

I'd tend to agree. I've yet to see any evidence that frequent changes are justified.

Post #220204 23rd Mar 2014 11:11 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1