« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Brake pad wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Brake pad wear

I'm curious what the common pattern for brake pad wear is.

At 20k miles when the FL2 was in for a problem I was told that front pads were approx 50% worn and rears approx 90% worn, so I agreed to having the rear pads replaced.

Now at nearly 30k miles its in for it's 3rd service and am told that front pads are approx 70% worn, and would I like them replaced.

I don't know how pads wear, but is usual for rear pads to wear much more quickly, in my case nearly twice as fast? I don't drive particularly agressively, and always on road.

I'm sure the cost of the front pads will be exorbitant. At what wear point does brake performance become compromised? I'd rather err on the side of caution, so not wait to change them when they are actually dangerous, but not also pander to the dealerships profit margins. If it's safe to wait a while then I may get them done at an Indie.

Thanks.

Post #219090 10th Mar 2014 12:54 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The rear pads are MUCH thinner than the front pads, and last less than half the distance.

I have driven 110k and have lost count of the number of rear sets of pads, have changed the front set twice.
The rear shoes died through lack of use / abuse (mud).

Bearing in mind I did destroy a set of Mintex pads on the old FL1 auto in 3 days Shocked

As long as the indie fits genuine LR pads why would you take your car to a main dealer for what is a very strait forward job?

30K sounds a bit early for front pads - mine last 40-50K, yes I do brake hard but most of my miles are motorway miles. Maybe you are gentler, but drive mostly on country lanes or around town. It's still a heavy car and an auto. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #219099 10th Mar 2014 2:10 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Many thanks Andy. The wear on mine doesn't seem unreasonable then, Mix of motorway, A and B roads,

Got a quote from a LR independent and wasn't a huge difference after I knocked the dealer down a little. So whilst it's a wear and tear item, for the sake of my soon to start extended warranty as well as potential good will in the event of a major failure I went with the dealer.

PS. this car seems a bit early on everything - EGR valve change and rear diff repair at 20k.

Post #219103 10th Mar 2014 2:51 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

It has paid me many times being a loyal customer with the dealer. I think you did the right thing.

Post #219104 10th Mar 2014 2:54 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Front & Rear Brake pad wear

Driving style and whether motorway or country will mean a dramatic difference in mileages to pad change between one driver in one region and a driver in another. An owner in the flat area of Norfolk will get many more miles than an owner in the Yorkshire moors.
When I bought my car I purchased front and genuine pads via Ebay at very good prices from a certain seller who only sells proper LR parts. Having them to hand during last years service, I changed my rear pads at 34,000 miles yet they would have done another 10k, this year I changed the front pads at 49,000 miles, here again they would have done at least another 15k.
Front and rear discs have so little wear that I expect that they will last until 100k miles. As a general guide discs should have a lifetime of two sets of pads, (first the OE and then one replacement set of pads)
Now put yourself on the other side of the table and wear the shoes of a dealer service department. 99% of clients wont know the first thing about car mechanics so its very very easy for them to recommend that you need a change of pads. A lot of mechanics and the service receptionist will earn commission payments on extra work that a client authorises so its easy money for mechanic and garage. Ive worked in a different engineering environment and they work just the same to boost sales figures.
Changing pads is a very straightforward job and can easily be entrusted to a local garage to do; you don't need a main or LR indie for this, (the brakes are from the Ford parts bin anyway), HOWEVER I believe that it is important to know what make pads a mechanic is going to fit. Might I give a suggestion? how about you talk with Dan at Duckworths, buy the pads from him and then choose your local garage to fit them.
Kind regards from Fred.
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #219111 10th Mar 2014 3:29 pm
ironduke

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red
Pads replaced

hi got my disc pads from cliffords brighton got genuine same as l/r fit and had fitted at my small garage in Brighton for£75
the main stealers here in Brighton wanted £300 +vat.
Also the small garage informed me that they do not use copper grease but a different grease.(can interfere with abs)
Cliffords price was i think £29. So for around £100 job done that was in May and done 6000 miles since no problems 57 reg GS leather seats panoramic sun roof
Nazca sand side step rails chrome grille and mirrors

Post #219159 10th Mar 2014 9:40 pm
ironduke

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

sorry forgot to mention as Fred as stated the pads are same as fitted on ford so informed at time by cliffords 57 reg GS leather seats panoramic sun roof
Nazca sand side step rails chrome grille and mirrors

Post #219161 10th Mar 2014 9:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1