Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > wet windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Looked a little more at these holes today. Just to show you the ones I think we are talking about, photo below.

I took the battery cover off and had a look at where the water drains to from these holes, and beneath the holes there is a plastic tray with sloping sides (outward from the middle, as if to catch something, ie water) and by feel there is a small drain hole which in turn must allow the water to drain out under the wing. When it rains, all the water off the windscreen is either channelled out to the side channels in either corner of the bottom of the windscreen (which have little flaps that are often blocked with leaves) or down through these holes.

Cobbet1, have you had a feel underneath where the water drains through these holes and whether the hole here is blocked? If this hole was blocked and the water overflowed from the tray, it would then drain into the area by the ABS unit and the intake for the cabin. That would certainly lead to misted up windows IMO.

Andrew

2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #219036 9th Mar 2014 6:47 pm
Dave007

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

So that's the little Censored ? IMHO, they look a little too small to be drain holes for water, either that or a really bad design as surely after a short period, these would become easily blocked with debris??? Just my opinion...

Shiggsy mentions there are 6, where's the other 4? MY2010 TD4 HSE Santorini Black, 19" Alloys, Almond Leather, Lux Pack, Rear Spoiler, Adaptive Xenons

Post #219038 9th Mar 2014 7:25 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

2 on the right, 2 in the middle, 2 on the left 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #219039 9th Mar 2014 7:47 pm
Cobbet1

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 S Manual Aintree Green

Hi winslett,
Yes have had the whole scuttle panel off to make sure everything is clear, as you say funnel shape under passenger side, and on drivers side similar set up but with a flap to let water out,
So far car has been much better since clearing the holes out, mine were so bad you could hardly see them, current thinking is that sitting water would gently run through holes and then run along underside of scuttle panel to drip where it shouldn't or just stay permanently damp, so still monitoring it , could just be coincidental with upturn in weather.

Andy

Post #219048 9th Mar 2014 8:38 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Hope you have sorted it.

Knew there was a name for the shape. Funnel. That covers it!

Tried to see what was on the driver's side but it's difficult to see past the brake fluid reservoir. It appears that the top around that side has a square patterned grill which must drain to the side underneath. I presume that was all intact? 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #219057 9th Mar 2014 9:15 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Fingers crossed it has sorted it Andy.

Post #219059 9th Mar 2014 9:47 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Since reading this thread I've frequently cleaned out these small (drain?) holes pictured above which are very easily blocked.

However I'm at a loss to understand why they are there? Any standing water in that area would anyway drain away through the main rubber flapped channels.

Why would LR go to the expense of fitting collector/drain funnels under these small holes when it would be cheaper to just omit the holes and let the water drain through the main channels

So these holes must serve another purpose, are they actually pressure vents, or are they used in setting up the wiper sweep, or moulding locators, or used for some other purpose? I'm intrigued because I don't think that LR would design drain holes that would undoubtedly block up every month, and they are certainly not cleared out during services. So if it doesn't matter whether they are blocked or not why are they there?

Anyone have any ideas?

Kind regards,
Dennis

Post #230562 3rd Aug 2014 8:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345